Totaled SPF GT40 Replica Ebay - Parts/Spares

Damian,
I love to attend one of these events you refer to. I live up in Gainesville so not too far away. It'd be great to see these Big Boys Toys in action and also to meet up with what some believe to be one of the most outspoken GT40 forum members. Er, that would be you. Let me know. I've PM'd you with my contact info.

LOL.... You can start off with cars and coffee which is a monthly meet (they have one in Tampa as well) and go from there (most of the TITAN cars and a few CFT cars show up. LOTS of F cars a few LOTUS and the local p-car club always shows up in force). ORC (Orlando road course) just got it's approval earlier this year for FULL ON RACE EVENTS and we have the track at Disney (NASCAR banked oval with a decent infield track) then there is 1/4 at Bithlo and the p-club has rented homestead, etc a few times. I tell you it's a funny site watching a masseratti blast the 1/4. Than there are the road trip tracks. The local SCCA holds some sort an event almost every weekend. I'll dig up some more info and send it to you via pm. This place might be closer to you Ivor Wigham's European Rally and Performance Driving School of Florida

Here is a link to the turbo kit that I spoke about and even this is a bit pricey CBR F2 kit, Modular Turbo

Last edited:
Damian, Thanks for the info and great speaking with you. Look forward to meeting you soon. Sounds like Orlando is stuffed with exotica and HUGE horsepowered cars being the order of the day. WOW!

Rick Muck- Mark IV

GT40s Sponsor
Supporter
The "twin turbo" GT40 was a tuner car wannabe. All it needed was some "Greddy" decals and a couple of fart cans. I mean a boom box speaker in the footwell?

I guess I am too old or sumptin'....but different strokes for different folks.......

Kelly

Lifetime Supporter
So what happened to the car? Seller ended the auction. Anyone know if it was sold?

K

The "twin turbo" GT40 was a tuner car wannabe. All it needed was some "Greddy" decals and a couple of fart cans. I mean a boom box speaker in the footwell?

I guess I am too old or sumptin'....but different strokes for different folks.......

I am with you on this one Rick!

Kirby Schrader

They're mostly silver
Lifetime Supporter
Kelly,

Nothing 'up front' for an intercooler. They are in the back. The chill tank was to get that last bit of horsepower when you needed it.... :laugh:

Alf brought the car by my house one night. It was late and dark, but I used my quick jack to lift the front and rear to check the wheel bearings. The car is VERY, VERY heavy in the back.

I can lift my car up alone, front or rear with my quick jack.

With Alf's car, it took both of us hanging on my jack to lift it! I was worried we were going to break the jack... The arms on it were really bending.

The engine was based on a Keith Craft 427 Windsor. All the intercoolers, turbos and chill can were done by Dallas Performance and are all custom. The Ricardo was put in the car because nobody thought a ZF or Qaife would handle the power. That Ricardo is heavy!

To answer another point brought up by someone... No, Alf won't build another one like that. He claims he's learned his lesson. He's actually been looking at a new Lamborghini lately.

FWIW,
Kirby

I saw the auction when it went up and immediately recognized the car. At first I thought it was a scam but when I saw the cosmetic damage and salvage title I began to wonder. I fired off a few questions mostly surrounding the engine build to the seller who said he would post more details Tuesday. Doubt he knows what he has. Seems to me it's a quality twin turbo engine, coupled to a Ricardo, and the rest is an SPF parts car. What's that add up to? -Not sure but not $80k. I'd have no interest in the car as it was bulit. Other than conversation and soiling your trousers, seems like Texas mile is about the only use for something like that as it was bulilt but not given it's been wrecked.

Was the intercooler on that car just connected to the chill tank or was there another heatexchanger up front?
Best,
Kelly

Kelly

Lifetime Supporter
Kelly, Nothing 'up front' for an intercooler. They are in the back. The chill tank was to get that last bit of horsepower when you needed it.... :laugh:

Well, I can see the plumbing from the IC to the chill tank but couldn't see anyhing in back except the charge air IC. Since it is liquid cooled of the charge air, you'll spend the bucket of ice pretty quickly. Once you do, you'll boil the water off very rapidly. If there is not an additional liquid cooler somewhere, you basically only have 10 minutes of reliable boost time. After that your spent. This approach is usually seen in drag cars, not road cars.

Alf brought the car by my house one night. It was late and dark, but I used my quick jack to lift the front and rear to check the wheel bearings. The car is VERY, VERY heavy in the back. Kirby

I toyed with the idea of TT'ing my Pantera but decided against it; too much weight and complexity for power you can't practically get to the ground. Basically seemed like ooh and ahh stuff not usable/reliable power. With a fairly light normally aspirated power plant in the 600HP/6kRpm vacinity, turbo just didn't seem worth it.

That car will either become a huge disappointment for someone or end up being parted out, and maybe someone will get a nice Twin Turbo engine for use in something more appropriate.

Take care,
Kelly

Seymour Snerd

Lifetime Supporter
That car will either become a huge disappointment for someone or end up being parted out, and maybe someone will get a nice Twin Turbo engine for use in something more appropriate.

I keep trying to maintain the optimism that someone has or will properly repair whatever tub damage occurred, and then swap the monster motor into (say) an SLC, and replace it with (say) a nice FE. Hope springs eternal.

Pat

Supporter
It looks like it sold for $77K. That's pretty generous for something with the red flag of a salvage title. I've never known an insurance company to be generous and the title status suggests it was totaled. As they say, buyer beware...

Damian, I've been out to the Orlando road race track and it is really tight with lots of concrete barriers. I'm not sure that's where I'd take the '40. Sebring is only an hour and a half away and PIR (Palm Beach) and Roebling (Savannah) a few hours beyond that. I've raced the formula car (SCCA) on both and they IMHO have much better facilities.

Jimmy, I also thought they were building a motorsports facility in Gainsville.

Gainesville Raceway: Road Course Testing and Training

I"ve never been there and I thought is was one of those membership club deals but I thought I read someplace some groups were sponsoring track days for as low as $150.00.

Damian, I'm also in the Orlando area and if you ever need any help with the project, just shoot me a PM.

Mmmm, do want. Bent frame can be fixed - I have a hammer and am not afraid to whack the frame with it! :laugh:

"ONLY 600-700 WHP"

You're all barking mad and are going to die in a fireball. Just make sure you don't take innocent bystanders with you.

Not true - my cobra weighs 2120 with 1/2tank of gas and made 500RWhp. I find it slow, needz more powa! :(

That's why I'm shooting for around 800RWhp n/a in my superlite.

Btw, you guys can keep your 1000rwhp twin turbo (*cough* boost is cheating *cough* :p ) builds costing 40k ...... I'll take my lowly n/a 502 LS for 30k that will go w/o any maintenance for an easy 150,000miles .... n/a or bust for me!:idea:

Under what driving circumstances do you find it slow?

All the time - especially when I'm doing a rolling burnout at 60mph in 4th gear

.........I want to be able to bend time and space when I get on the throttle....then I will deem it fast :laugh:

Is that lowly 502 for 30k in your garage yet or are you still waiting on it?

Details details :rolleyes:

Actually, I would have had it 6months ago if not for the heads - we were going to use Mozez heads initially but it's impossible to get valves for them. So we waited....and waited.....and eventually decided to just use All Pro heads.

It worked out for the best because 10mths ago the All Pro's were only flowing 420. Now Richard has a program to flow 445 out of them, so they're basically neck-and-neck w/ Mozez in terms of performance, with better fitment (they're not as gargantuan), and better intake selection (mozez = either their cast intake which takes like 8mths to get, or a sheetmetal)

We're rolling forward now :thumbsup:

Keith

It was a serious question Alex and I would be very interested to know the answer so that I may better understand. I have different perspectives and am trying to learn about the current era when you can have as much HP as you ever wanted as opposed to my day when we fought for every hp, ft lb and adding lightness to the vehicle but it was never enough and too much!

Under what driving circumstances do you find your Cobra with 500 RWHP weighing 2120 lbs slow (apart from the burnout scenario). Racing, sprints, hillclimbs, time trials, drag racing, drifting street use etc etc

Thanks in anticipation.. :)

It was a serious question Alex and I would be very interested to know the answer so that I may better understand. I have different perspectives and am trying to learn about the current era when you can have as much HP as you ever wanted as opposed to my day when we fought for every hp, ft lb and adding lightness to the vehicle but it was never enough and too much!

Under what driving circumstances do you find your Cobra with 500 RWHP weighing 2120 lbs slow (apart from the burnout scenario). Racing, sprints, hillclimbs, time trials, drag racing, drifting street use etc etc

Thanks in anticipation.. :)

On the street (since I"ve never been to a track) :)

You can never have enough power :D

edit: don't forget, I'm also only 28 so online e-penis stats > all :D

Keith

Now come on Alex, you're behaving like a politician - under what circumstances exactly (on the street) do you experience a lack of power in your Cobra?

Back