Transaxles made for Kit Cars

You could also use a traditional in line gearbox, stick it in your chassis backwards (pullies facing bumper) and us a v-drive unit like casale has

Designing, building and testing a new transaxle is no easy job. When we started the ZFQ project a number of existing manufacturers we asked would not even attempt a new design. Transaxles are inherently difficult to get right but Quaife were more than happy to take on the project. Since then we have sold well over 50 units all over the world and have also had great success on the circuit. Both myself John Wisher, Chris Melia and Nigel Hulme have just returned from Road America where Dennis Olthoff finished third in class behind a McClaren M1C and a Lola T70 which were in a different class but ahead of others including T70s, a Duntov Corvette, Hollman Moody's GT40 MKII and many others. Dennis uses and has sold many ZFQ Transaxles and will be used in the new Superformance GT40R cars.
The current price to correct that stated in this thread is £6500+Vat. Bellhousing at £400+Vat and clutch cross shaft at £175+Vat.

Regards Martin Gough
GT Transmissions.

There are many many seven replica companies way cheaper that you. Most new seven's are around $25/30k. I don't know where you get those prices? Catherham and Donkervoort are a different story but a robin hood or so is cheap although low quality.

The Prices come from the Companies Websites, if you do some research you will see for yourself.

EG Caterham Australia

Caterham Cars Australia - model information

CSR 200

The ultimate Seven for Australian conditions. The CSR 200 shares the same drive train as the SVR 200 but benefits from uprated suspension and aerodynamics. An even more powerful version of the Cosworth engine developing 191kW is available for track use.

Engine Options:

2.3 ltr Cosworth 147kW
6-speed Caterham box
191kW track option also available

PRICE from $129,000

The Quoted Prices I gave before was at a exchange rate of AU $1 to ¥ 100 The correct exchange rate is AU $1 = ¥ 78.0530

We will not be selling KIT CARS here in Japan, the vehicles will be PRODUCTION CARS. In Japan a KIT CAR must NOT have a engine any bigger then 40cc and must not have a top speed any higher then 60Kph.

This is the reason there are NO kit car companies in Japan.

Mitsuoka made a Lotus 7 Replica, called the Zero which sold as a production car, it was about 3.9 Million Yen new.

Mitsuoka Car Company

Mitsuoka takes 2nd hand production vehicles rips off the body and throws on a new body and sells them for a stupid price and people are buying them.

The Guy that started Mitusoka went to the USA, fell in love with kitcars and wanted to do the same here in Japan, was told NO so decided to take 2nd hand production vehicles and put new bodies on them which was OK.

The Guy started out with 2 Million Yen and now the company is worth over 790 Million Yen.

Their current car takes a 2006 Mazda MX-5 which cost 300,000 Yen and turns it in to a Himiko which they are selling at between 4.9 Million Yen to 5.6 Million Yen

Yes that is correct, a 2006 MX-5 about AU $ 3843.54(Price in Japan) and fits a new body and sells them for about AU $71746.12 (at current Exchange Rates)

As for Transaxles I am not looking at having a NEW design Transaxle made up, I want a major company that is selling transaxles to companies like Toyota, Honda, or Nissian to start looking at us smaller car companies and kit car builders and start selling to us also and at a cost that will not send us bankrupt before opening.

I for one do not want to produce a NEW car with 2nd Hand parts in it.
Trying to build a car and keep the cost down so it will sell is hard when the cost of 1 major part like a Transaxles cost the same as the other parts of the car.

Last edited:
Well some good news I have got a few emails back from the Large transmission companies. At the moment I am talking to Getrag in Japan .. They seem interested in what I have said about supplying transaxles for Kit Car builders and Small Car Companies. If this comes off then people could be able to get new 6-Speed Getrag transaxles for their GT40, Countach, Ultima or GTM instead of a used box.

OK tell me this must be a JOKE. A Replica GT40 for over $250,000, I wish I could build and sell Lamborghini Replica for this asking price

GT40

<TABLE class=cstable cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR vAlign=top><TD class=cstitle align=middle>2004 Ford Gt40 Replica DRB 2dr Coupe Manual 8cyl 363</TD></TR><TR vAlign=center align=middle><TD class=cstext><SCRIPT language=javascript> var photowin = null; // global variable var photowinopts = "toolbar=no,directories=no,menubar=no,width=680,height=610,resizable=yes,scrollbars=yes,location=no,status=no"; function display_photo(wurl) { if(photowin == null || photowin.closed) { photowin = window.open("http://www.uniquecarsales.com.au/pls/carsales/!csc_vehicle_photos.unique_private?"+wurl,"uqphoto", photowinopts); photowin.moveTo(100,50); } else { photowin = window.open("http://www.uniquecarsales.com.au/pls/carsales/!csc_vehicle_photos.unique_private?"+wurl,"uqphoto", photowinopts); photowin.focus(); }; } </SCRIPT></TD></TR><TR><TD class=cstext><TABLE class=cstable cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR vAlign=center><TD class=csprice align=middle>$275,000<SUP>*</SUP></TD><TD class=cstext align=middle></TD><TD class=cstext align=middle>Private Sale - QLD</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD></TR><TR vAlign=center align=left><TD class=cstext>Comments
$275,000 ono All Offers Considered....Must Sell!

The original Ford Gt40 was designed with long distance motor racing in mind to beat Ferrari at Lemans.

The brief in building this GT40 replica over 3.5 years with Racecraft Engineering was to achieve the simple original objective with todays supercar standards in mind. No shortcuts were taken and no expense spared in the construction of this unique vehicle.

DRB supplied the original Kit and with professional fabricators modifications throughout have been made to the bodywork.

Bonnet mods have been made to not remove the vent from the radiator prior to lifting the bonnet. The windscreen/roof line has been beefed up with hidden roll bar across roof for greater strength and support. The rear tail section has been modified for Hella tail lights and aerodynamic appeal. Rear hood modified for sealed airbox and hinge reconfiguring.
A 1.6mm SS plate is fitted to underside of GT.

Internal fitout is Alcantara and leather with Momo harnesses, road and race and retractable. A Momo steering wheel with rpm LED staging light for overzealous use of Revs.

Motec ECU and Liquid Crystal display dash c/w uplink connection and cycling buttons for scrolling main menu, mapping and lap time recording.

Pioneer stereo 6 stack CD/DVD - reversing camera.

Airconditioned.

Alcon Brakes. Fr 375mm 6pot }
R 343mm 4 Pot } V8 Supercar
Braided Lines }
Wheels Fronts 9.5" x 19"
Rear 11.5" x 19"
Tyres Yokohama Advans. 255/30 ZR19's & 305/30 ZR 19's
Spare front and spare rear, rims and tyres.

Engine 6 liter 630 Bhp by Russell Jones Engines. (Darren Jones)
- Dart Tall Deck Race Block
-Callies 4340 lightweight Crankshaft
- Carillo - Oliver Race Rods
- J.E.Pistons / Sets
- Clevitte "Calico" Bearings
- Ferrea (Competition Plus ) Valves
- Super Victor Cylinder Heads
- Ported and flowed
-Line Bore Cam Tunnels and Roller Cam Bearing Set
-V8 Supercar dry sump pan & pickup screens
- Petersen 3 stg dry sump pump
-Bosch Injector Nozzles.
-Kinsler Fuel Injection Manifold c/w trumpets
Lambda exhaust sensors.
Airbox Rh & Temp sensors.
Fabricated exhaust system in conjunction with RJ Engines, HPC'd
All components have been HPC'd or Anodised.
-Transmission - Porsche G50 5-speed transaxle
-Quafe Modified clutch Plates & Assembly
-Cable Linkage Between Gear Lever & Gearbox
Electric Looms by "Competition Electrics" full installation.

For more information phone Marcus on 0403469012
</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

Sounds like they are selling it for just the cost of the kit and the parts they put in it. To bad its not an automatic transaxle or I might buy it. but then they would have to charge $ 350 k.

Question guys, I see a few use Audi Transaxle for their cars can I ask the model Audis these transaxle come from and if anything is after 2005??

I am looking at the A8 and thinking of buying a TipTronic direct from Audi if that model transaxle is one that is used.

Almost all transaxle's from audi are usuable, as long they're not a quattro or transverse box. Those new VAG boxes are big IIRC. Since they are AMT or automatic.

VAG = the co-operationgroup from audi, vw and porsche
IIRC = If I Remember Correct

If you go to www.vagcat.com and then click "go to catalogue" you can search on vehicle, year etc. handy for partnumbers and technical drawings

or contact Wanni albertini of gearfox/cima he's in the market you describe and builds the most beautifull stuff i've ever seen trans wise, but also at a price then again he did the koenigsegg and the gumpert appollo amongst lost of other stuff, so the product is good.

grtz Thomas

ps hey Bram, also found this place!?!

Wanni offers one of the best in the market, but to expense for the avarage kit builder.

He has sent me a pdf on the Cima T906 transaxle, it's availiable in H-pattern, sequential and semi automatic paddle shifted. The last option is the one Lexus proboarly wants(like tiptronic).

The h-pattern was 15.5K, sequental 16.5K and the paddle shifted 18.5K, but you need a Gearbox Control Unit programmed specialy for your car(costs 16.5K from Automac), Drive-by-wire throttle, all kinds of input from the ECU, custom bellhousing for your engine. And then you need another 100K plus for setup by Cima.

For a car manufacturer these aren't big numbers, but for the kit industrie it shure is.

Bram

ps Thomas, when looking for transaxle info this keeps site keeps popping up.

Back