Twin Turbo mid engine kit car..

Not a RCR, but still an inspirational setup...

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Aewbo-Orb3M]NRE Drives 1200 HP Factory Five GTM. Street Test. 427CI LSX. Nelson Racing Engines. Mirror Turbo. - YouTube[/ame]

Its as useful as mudflaps on a turtle and absolutely bonkers ....and its great to see!!

and yes there are a couple of NRE TT packages inprocess for SLC's

Mike

Lifetime Supporter
But it's sooo "bitchin'"!...how could they help themselves?
My guess is he is referring to lighting them up in oncoming city traffic. Hit a oil patch in t-bone someone coming the other direction. I would at least get out of town before doing that sort of stuff.

Its as useful as mudflaps on a turtle and absolutely bonkers ....and its great to see!!

and yes there are a couple of NRE TT packages inprocess for SLC's

Oh really?! Not that I'd want that much power without AWD but NRE is great at 'packaging' an engine really neatly and beautifully.

Again, I haven't seen him doing anything with the Coyote and since MMR is now seeing 1500/2000/2500bhp out of one I'm surprised NRE isn't doing their own thing.

Nice get up and go package and it looks fantastic sitting in there.

My only area of "concern" is that I wonder if the IC setup with the small twin heat exchangers has the capacity to keep the intake charge cool for anything more than stoplight sprints like what they were doing in the videos. Turbos sucking hot air right off the exhaust manifolds and the heat exchangers not in any direct path of cool air looks to be a compromise in packaging vs. efficiency.

Still a sick f'ing car though.

Can't wait to see the packages they're developing for the SL-C's.

Pat Buckley

GT40s Supporter
My guess is he is referring to lighting them up in oncoming city traffic. Hit a oil patch in t-bone someone coming the other direction. I would at least get out of town before doing that sort of stuff.

I was, Mike.......

Not to say that I haven't done the same thing but at least I didn't video it and I for sure wasn't sober.

I was, Mike.......

Not to say that I haven't done the same thing but at least I didn't video it and I for sure wasn't sober.

So that makes it okay? And okay for you to call others out on it? In fact, you were drunk so really, that makes you considerably more irresponsible doesn't it?

Shall we just call it even...

Nelson Racing Engines - NRE's Shelby Code Red Engine

Its not the HP that impresses me, but the bearings and piston scuff lacking. Ring lands look great still and tolerances are still there! So YES NR is doing Coyote type engines. He just doesn't list prices which can't be encouraging :)

Maybe I've missed something but, I'm not seeing any modular/Coyote modular on his site. The code red was a modular engine but not the Coyote and I believe it was a one off?

Yes, Ben, in detail you are correct. I wasn't trying to be argumentative, but thought it was simply relative. They both use similar ECU's much the same internal architecture outside obvious stroke jump to 4.1" which hampers the GT500 on piston speed. But I would think the differences are less than the similarities. Nelson rarely gets aggressive with cams and there again is an advantage with the variable Coyote's higher lift cams and higher cfm heads. So, it looks like if the same perimeters were taken on the Coyote, you'd get even more efficient benefits.

So yes I concur that it would be nice to see what NR can do with the Coyote, but Helion along with others have already shown 1k hp potential. To consider any of NR engines as less than custom/one offs is relative. With what, his simplest turbo 'crate motor" at like $32k and more like $50k for a serious attempt, they all fall towards the custom side. I'm guessing a big enough check would produce a second very similar engine in your garage.

marc

Lifetime Supporter
To me, sounded like there was alot of slippage, one of the pics clearly showed a bunch of clutch dust dumping. Considering the motor has got the potential, but are we trying to build 1k+ hp in a car that is not capable of using it. I think even when they work the bugs out, I can't see the worth of it except to break components or cause loss of control. I look back at the 917-20 with all the HP it had, and it was dancing with many times the down force and black strips of uncontrolled wheel spin. How I used to think has changed and HP and machismo are becoming out of control. The cars like the Superlite I bet will be doing themselves a disfavor to push for that much HP. I know my P4 project is 550HP with an LS7 which was 150 hp over what the F car did when it raced. The Ford Mark VI where 750 HP but heavier and they drove those things with an egg under their foot. my 2 coins.

I'm sure his clutch has been toasted by now - I also think it was slipping. If you can't put the HP to the ground why bother IMO. Now, if you going 180mph and need to get to 200mph, that takes HP. Not many people will be going that fast anyway - takes a long track, experience and big clock weights to want to drive at that speed, and if you sneeze or something fails you're likely done.

Last edited:
I doubt there is a single disk clutch even reasonably streetable that could hold the torque that engine is making. Looks like it's time to call Tilton for a custom carbon setup.

Pat Buckley

GT40s Supporter
So that makes it okay? And okay for you to call others out on it? In fact, you were drunk so really, that makes you considerably more irresponsible doesn't it?

Shall we just call it even...

No, not even at all.

The fact is that if you couldn't tell that my comment was in jest, then you need a shot of intelligence.

Or humor.

Back