Very tall - could use advice

I am 6'6" with a 34" inseam. Trying to debate which builder to go with. I like RCR because they are american made, and I like Cav because everyone seems to like them.

Since I will have a roller built, I am sure I can any change I want done. Also any ideas what changes to make beyond the thin cushion and gurney bubble.

I have not purchased a car yet, but when I visited RCR I was very impressed with Fran, his crew and the quality of there cars. It was a bonus that it is American made and a Michigan based company. In the next couple years I will have RCR build me a turn key car.

I also live in Michigan and visited RCR. Fran and his cars are absolutely amazing. Advantages for a tall person is he has engineered a longer (and possibly wider) foot box. One of the other adjustments that are made for taller drivers is pedal box placement. RCR has an advantage here, I think. If you are contemplating an investment in a GT40, it is well worth a visit to RCR even if you have to fly in. A $500 plane ticket is a tiny investment compared to what any good GT40 will cost.

RCR does not build a turn key - at least not when I visited Fran last fall. They did a few years ago, but no longer. The closest RCR will get is to recommend someone who can build it for you. Fran is on this forum a lot, so I am sure he can answer your questions.

Ultimately this was one of the decisions that moved me to buying a Superformance GT40 (well, technically I only have a deposit in right now). There were other factors like degree of originality and resale. Resale is certainly subject to huge debate. I also had a Superformance Cobra, so I'm familiar with their offerings. My desire for a turn key roller was the biggest factor. If Fran had offered one, I might have been swayed to RCR. The engineering on their cars is AMAZING!

- LIONDOG

I'm 6'2" with a 34" inseam as well. What I did was:

Gurney bubble
Lowered seating area 1" (some won't like that as it becomes lowest part of car)
Thin cushion
Low profile seat rails
Adjustable pedals mounted from above

I don't own an RCR, but I've never heard anything bad about them and Fran is as reported here (helpful).

Glenn B.

Lifetime Supporter
If you end up selecting Superformance and were thinking of an FE big block version, you might want to test fit one first because the big block engine encroaches into the cockpit. The firewall and seat back must be moved forward to clear the pulleys.

I'm 6'3" 33" inseam, tried to sit in a superformance and could not get in it. I'm 270lbs so I'm sure that did not help me. A few years ago, when I was 240 lbs, I did sit in a superformance and it was snug.

Mike

Lifetime Supporter
GT40s are not for "big" boys and by big I mean "thick" lol. I'm 6'2 220 and am very comfortable in mine.

Seth, I wouldn't worry too much if i were you.

Jeremy Clarkson is 6"5 and he fits into an original GT40 with a Gurny bubble.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UzC-mQoY3aI]Jeremy Clarkson tests original Ford GT40 - YouTube[/ame]

He certainly looks comfortable enough.

RCR does not build a turn key - at least not when I visited Fran last fall. They did a few years ago, but no longer. The closest RCR will get is to recommend someone who can build it for you. Fran is on this forum a lot, so I am sure he can answer your questions.

Oh No!!! Please tell me that you will still build a complete turn key.

Chris Kouba

Supporter
Jeremy Clarkson is 6"5 and he fits into an original GT40 with a Gurny bubble.

Jeremy Clarkson tests original Ford GT40 - YouTube

He certainly looks comfortable enough.

I didn't watch this link but I have seen the whole video before. That chassis has had its floor lowered or something. Listen to him explain when he's climbing in.

(edit - fast forward to 1m20s)

There is at least one turn key from RCR in the NW but I do not know if they provide that service any longer. A call to Fran will help you figure that out. He's the guy who usually answers the phone. I guarantee he'd be able to recommend someone if they do not.

Chris

Check out the CAV cars. Their 100+ serial numbered cars made even greater strides in accommodating taller drivers. You can speak directly to Johann Keyser the US CAV rep in NC (919-924-9891) and he'll provide you with all the info on what can be done to get you into a great GT 40. Good Luck.

Seth, I just tried a CAV Mk1 last Friday which was my first attempt ever and I was positively surprised as I am also 6'6" and I think with a 36" inseam (at least that's the size of Jeans I am wearing (34/36). My advantage is though that I am very slim (77kg which should be around 170 lb) and sporty. My hair just touched the top of the roof so with a GB and a slight modification of the seat I should be comfortable (although I will most probably never be able to wear a helmet but I am heading for a street car anyway). Also legloom was not a real issue as there is just no separation between the Driver and passenger seat (unlike SPF although I have learned that they seem to have the same (improved) chassis layout). Also no real issues with the shifter (unlike in my Lotus Elise which I owned for 3 years).

Hope this helps - and pls Keep me posted on your final choice and modifications as I am also still looking around for a used CAV.

Btw, do you know whether there are different styles of GBs? I know there is one looking more aerodynamic and one less but are there different styles in terms of headroom (i.e. wider versions)?

Thomas

Thomas, there are different shaped GB's and for me I like the stream-lined low look. I've seen some that are IMO too high and ungamely and destroy the look of the car. Unsure who sells the different shapes though.

As a follow up to my previous comment I would like to add that I have test driven a SPF recently and in therms of both head and legroom it was far too tight. Different from CAV where I had managed to do a 20 min test drive on my own it was just impossible to do so with the SPR where I only managed to go for a ride as co-driver and even this was a rather claustrophobic experience.

Hope this feedback helps other super-tall guys on this forum.

Thomas

Last edited:
The CAV has the most room, Thats why I got mine, it's the only one I fit in with a helmet.
There really is a big difference between the different makers!. I think Fran at RCR is a great guy and builds a great car, and yes the CAV is a little hard to get parts for.But the CAV I fit best in.

Kirby Schrader

They're mostly silver
Lifetime Supporter
I am 6'6" with a 34" inseam. Trying to debate which builder to go with. I like RCR because they are american made, and I like Cav because everyone seems to like them.

Since I will have a roller built, I am sure I can any change I want done. Also any ideas what changes to make beyond the thin cushion and gurney bubble.

I'm getting into this thread late....

I'm 6' 2", 36" inseam and weigh 210 or so.
I have an SPF GT40.

With the stock 'seats', I could not sit in the car either, but with judicious slicing and reducing the foam, I could.

I ended up making my own seats using aluminum sheet and foam and then covering with leather. There is only 1/4" of foam on the bottom and back of the seat, so I'm pretty much sitting on the floor and my back is against the firewall.

I have enough head room for a helmet and I do not have a Gurney bubble. The bubble cannot be moved back far enough for my head to be in it, so what's the point in having one? At least for me...

I also added side supports to my seats along with headrests. The side support shape I copied from the Recaros in my Pantera. This really really really helped when driving on the track.

As for the head rests... Not a good idea... What limited vision you have out the back window is even more reduced.

FWIW,
Kirby

Back