What should I do with the dash?

I see 3 possible choices

1 - Cover it with leather
+ : easy to maintain
- : it may look out of place since I'm leaving the interior raw

2 - Paint it black
- : definitely in place and looks good
+ : slightly harder to maintain - however, if I develop micromarring I can always remove the windshield (bolted in plastic), polish it, bolt back the windshield, so it is fairly accessible.

3 - Skin it in carbon fiber
Basically the same +/-'s as painting it in black. I guess another - is it's just a carbon skin so it's a bit ricey since it's not functional.

Not certain which way to proceed. Hmmmm. I've thought of other alternatives like flocking, but that doesn't really appeal to me.

Alex

If you're leaving the rest of the interior raw, definitely not leather. It would stick out like a sore thumb.

How about machined-turned aluminum, at least for the flat vertical surfaces? (Not sure how many of those there are.) Then, paint the rest black. I always loved the machined-turned look in my T/A.

Of course, there's always leopard print fur and dingle balls; could finish the floor out with some long shag carpeting...harvest gold, maybe, or perhaps avacado?

Eric

Aluminum accents/trim wouldn't work with it.

I have the same concerns about the leather - that it would really stand out and be like a WTF moment when you're looking at it.

It's hard to go wrong with a black like it is now (I was bored and sanded/polished the gelcoat last year, don't ask, lol)

dash1-4.jpg

Carbon might also look good, but I'd be afraid that there's too many curves to skin it properly

Dave Lindemann

Lifetime Supporter
Alex -

Whatever you select be sure to consider how it may reflect in the windshield, especially on a sunny day. Not sure how big of an issue it may be with a plastic windshield but reflections can be annoying. I'd suggest something dark colored with a non-gloss finish.

Regards,
Dave L

Alex, look into FLOCKING. Perfect for what you want. Ask Fran about it, I believe I saw a dash he sold to a builder that was outfitted that way.

Doug S.

The protoplasm may be 72, but the spirit is 32!
Lifetime Supporter
Alex -

Whatever you select be sure to consider how it may reflect in the windshield, especially on a sunny day. Not sure how big of an issue it may be with a plastic windshield but reflections can be annoying. I'd suggest something dark colored with a non-gloss finish.

Regards,
Dave L

My mother drove a rural mail route, 94 miles a day on dirt roads. One day she took the car in for a wash, and when she got it back she was livid...they had ArmorAll'ed the dash, for God's Sake. How could they?

Her rant seemed a bit more "off" than normal to me....so I asked. She said that the shiny dash created such a reflection on the inside of the windshield that she had trouble seeing, particularly when driving into the sun. She said she had "worked" for 6 months to get a good layer of dust on the dashboard so that it wouldn't reflect into the windshield....now she had to start ALL OVER.

Leave it in its polished state, just let it get dusty :stunned: ....easy and already finished :thumbsup: , and if you're going to show the car, easy to prep for the show.

Cheers from Doug!!

Dave L's idea of a dark, non-reflecting surface is a good one, IMO.

For your requirements, I would think about using SEM soft-feel paint on the dash. These can be done in a matt finish, and look good as well as having a pleasing hand.

If you're going with a raw interior and race style steering shaft, IMO,the stock dash looks out of place, no matter how you finished it. I would prefer to see an aluminum race style dash. Then you can show off your wiring on top of toe box (and access to it).

CF skinning is out - my bodyshop felt that they wouldn't be able to do a satisfactory job on it with all the curves and whatnot.

Mmmmm, I'm pretty sure leather is also out - when I think about it it just doesn't seem to fit.

Alacantara might be a possibility. The only thing is I've never (and I'm a detailing nut) really studied how one cleans/maintains it. I've heard problems like once it's stained it's stained and impossible to clean?

Still on the fence about painting - I don't want to have to polish and wax the dash really. My dash on my cobra is carbon fiber, and I hate it because it's a SOB to clean properly (properly = no micromarring from improper cleaning technique).

I've heard about the soft-feel paint, but don't think I'd want to try it - I have no idea if it can micromarr, and if it can, if it can be polished in your traditional way.

What about a vinyl wrap?
Many colors and finishes to choose from and it's easily cleanable/replaceable.

The best part is that a plastic Jesus or hula girl would still stick to it.

I've thought about hydrographics, but nobody does it locally and the thought of shipping it out really doesn't appeal to me.

There are "kits" available for purchase to perform hydrographics, however, there is much practice and skill required to submerge the object into the bath suspending the
pattern without leaving air bubbles, overlaps, etc. Quite expensive as well.
I've studied up on this and decided it would be better not to try a DIY for this.

Two tone flocking for me. www.donjer.com is a good read on how to do flocking.
I purchased a cheap sample kit and made a few samples on discarded fiberglass cut outs. All looked really good. Mask off areas just like for paint.

Back