Which Car?

The "what other cars have you owned" thread, sort of started me thinking.

If you were in the market today, for a new daily driver/commuter car, what would you buy?

I have always liked the styling of older iron more than most newer cars, but recently there have been some impressive offerings.

#1 on my list is the new Mini cooper S.
My Dad recently bought one and I have put about 300 miles on it myself. We have entered the car in a couple of rallies, and I have been the driver while he navigates.
Everything you have read about this little car is true. It is a speedy little go cart and an absolute joy to drive.

#2 is the Subaru WRX, here is yet another very impressive performer,,,and it has a strong aftermarket of go-faster parts available.

#3 is the ford mustang GT. The car is priced reasonably, is still rear wheel drive with a V8 drivetrain, and is one of the few new American cars I can think of available with a 5 speed manual trans.

Re: What new "daily driver" would you buy?

I test drove an Infinity G35 sedan a few weeks ago. If I were going to buy a new car I'd seriously consider that or the G35 Sports Coupe. Excellent styling, and it is essentially a stretched version of the 350Z...same chassis, same engine. I agree that the new Mini S is a helluva car.

G35 Sports Coupe. Had considered the 350Z until I saw a G35 with six speed and Brembo brakes. Has a back seat that COULD be used (Z has none). Styling is a little more rounded and not as edgy as the z: Z looks odd at some angles (IMHO): G35 looks good from any angle. Rumors is that the Z (and maybe the G35 coupe) will be available with the Q45 V8 sometime in the future. That ould be even MORE interesting. cb

Ron Earp

Admin

I drove the Mini S and the WRX, both I thought would be nice daily drivers. The WRX did have a really cheap interior though, but of course it is an inexpensive base car in non-WRX form. The Mini was a hoot due to handling though!

R

For a USED daily driver, I would vote for an older Lexus SC300 or SC400. Drove my wife's SC300 all last week (1992-74000 miles auto-we are the second owner) and ag wioc/ABS/traction control
Hve never driven the SC400 V* but plan to to see how it compares! cb

Maybe a BMW 330i (the wife wants me to get
a four door). The G35 coupe is also a maybe.

I've also been contemplating an old 914 converted to a 914/6 with a newer 3.6 DME.
Pretty reliable car
smile.gif

But for now, I'm fine with the Integra.

Ian

Jim Rosenthal

Supporter

Probably a Mercedes diesel or a MiniCooper S, I must be getting old. Actually, my second daily driver is a 1999 spec old-style Mini Cooper with EFI, airbag, alarm and catalyst. Surprisingly modern for a ten-foot car designed in 1959. Towards the end, they were really pretty civilized. And seriously cute, with those flares and alloy wheels, a real chick magnet.
grin.gif

Today, I would buy a Mini Cooper-S. Next year, it would be a 2005 Mustang fastback with a 400 HP six speed, big brakes.

Larry L.

Lifetime Supporter

Well...........consider me a round peg trying to fit into a square hole...as usual.

My D.D. more-or-less has to be a pickup. I'd prefer a small 'truck...but, these days there very few offered...and I don't really care for the looks of those that are.

Sooooo...today I'm going to see about getting an exact clone of this:

http://2016newtruck.com/wp-content/u...front-view.jpg

Doug S.

The protoplasm may be 72, but the spirit is 32!
Lifetime Supporter

Wow! That's a great looking truck! Love the Ford styling...wonder if they are available with the Coyote engine?

Cheers!!

Doug

PeteB

GT40s Supporter

I love my Pontiac G8. If I was buying new I'd seriously consider the Chevy SS.

Audi TT Coupe, Turbo Quattro. Paddle shift, chipped to 300hp, fold down seats, rear hatch (makes like a tiny van - good for hauling project parts) and goes through the snow all "World Rally" sideways like :)

Not the best looking car but, for a daily - works for me.

All that fun and 30mph highway too...

Mike

Lifetime Supporter

Well...........consider me a round peg trying to fit into a square hole...as usual.

My D.D. more-or-less has to be a pickup. I'd prefer a small 'truck...but, these days there very few offered...and I don't really care for the looks of those that are.

Sooooo...today I'm going to see about getting an exact clone of this:

http://2016newtruck.com/wp-content/u...front-view.jpg
i have $100 that says you won't get past the shoe to tire phase Larry

Rick Muck- Mark IV

GT40s Sponsor
Supporter

Wow! That's a great looking truck! Love the Ford styling...wonder if they are available with the Coyote engine?

Cheers!!

Doug

Yes,

The 5.0 "Coyote" is available in the F150. The truck version has different cams and cam timing to bias towards torque as well as different exhaust manifolds.

My next true daily will probably be a small hybrid made in Germany.

As a previous owner of true Minis I cannot in good conscience ever own one of the new Giants.
The only American cars I like were made between late 60s and early 70s and none of those make great dailies - I have a 69 mustang and I doubt Warren Buffet could afford to drive it daily. :)
A friend has a Tesla and that is not bad but there is no infrastructure here for them so daily drive is not practical. I am not a fan of that huge gimmicky screen either...
I have a WRX but I had far too much fun modifying it. It is a brilliant car but useless on road now. I think they are too tempting to modify to make a daily that would stay a daily.

At last a positive argument for being a car collector! - I can drive a different car every day. :)

Tim.

Last edited:
Back