Which seat belt and why?

I know some of this is a personal choice but even if I say I want a 5 point harness with a cam lock system and pull up adjustments, there is still hundreds of dollars difference between Simpson, Crow, G-Force, RCI and others. What do you look for and is it always "you get what you pay for" or do you pay to much for a big name?

Schroth: because racecar.

Seriously, they are one of the few manufacturers that do actual research into improving belts and related technology, have the lightest, strongest components, offer an incredible range of combinations (you can order exactly what you want in a belt system, combining parts from their varied lines), there is a DOT option, and they have a very wide range of tested attachment hardware, etc.

Of course, they do cost more, maybe even much more. But belts are a subject like helmets- I tend not to shop on price on those things, because the cost of failure is so high, and the overall incremental cost (expressed as a percentage of the overall car cost, or a visit to a rehab center for a month) is very low. I think this is a case where the added price does have an explanation, at least for most of it.

I haven't bought mine yet, but my SLC will have them.

Ian Anderson

Lifetime Supporter
I have Luke fitted.

Best part is they are fully adjustable when seated - the adjusters do not " disappear" between the seat and tunnel or seat and tank cover.

They are / were fully FIA approved - need to checkonbthe date stamp!

Can be done bolt in or with clips onto shoulder eyes

Ian

Mike Pass

Supporter
In a GT40 the seats are at a shallow angle and the bases are at floor level so there is a tendency to "submarine" out of 4 point harnesses. So a 5 or 6 point harness is a good idea. Provided they meet the relevant specs for the intended purpose then it is a question of suitable mounting points and comfort. Many GT40 replicas use a stout metal bar bolted in above the seat backs just below the rear window and the straps loop around this. I use Luke 6 point harnesses which cost around £250 a couple of years ago and which are both comfortable in use and have the date certificate sewn in. I cross over the two crotch strap under the seat pad to help with "comfort" in that area!
Cheers
Mike

Trevor Booth

Lifetime Supporter
Supporter
I would check with the manufacturer about crossing over the crotch straps
I might suggest that it may cause a level of discomfort in the event of the unforseen.

Dean,
I would go with the Schroth belts for not only the reasons above, but they have some inovative thinking behind their products. For instance they now have changed their lap belts to a two inch belt. Their reasoning is that the two inch belt grips you with the belt below the Iliac crest or the hip bones. This keeps the belt from riding up into the abdominal area which would cause some major internal damage with a frontal impact. Take a look at their Profii and Hybrid series belts. Lots of good choices.
Schroth Racing Harnesses
I would also say that if I was going racing I would use their 6 point belt rather than a 5. The five may leave you with a high pitched voice after a shunt. The 6 has an inovative attachment that rides outside the area of the "jewels" and down between the legs. Granted their belts are more expensive, but they have it backed with the reseach. And myway of thinking is that money doesn't count when safety is concerned.

Bill

Ron McCall

Supporter
I use Schroth belts in my race car.
The hardware and adjusters are much nicer than any other belts that I have used/inspected.
I am very happy with them .

I have Impact 5 point camlock harnesses. Frankly, if they're all made to the same safety standards, which I believe they are, why would there be a difference between Schroth and the others? I chose Impact because they were reasonably priced and my car is yellow.

Fran Hall RCR

GT40s Sponsor
I have used RJS camlock belts for years with great success...pre HANS device

I have a Scroth whizz bang latest and greatest belt in the 01 race car and it has proved problematic...I had to special order it from Europe due to the requirements made by my driver....So I am not impressed with it at this point...or its price tbh.

One thing to consider is that when using a HANS device, which everyone really should on track, you will need narrower straps to pass over the HANS to prevent them from slipping off....the Scroth has this narrowed belt area here but the RJS belt uses a folded design to create the narrowing which I dont like....

So shop wisely for your chosen application....

I am planning to use Schroth 6-point with my Hans device as well, waiting to order till the very last. Was the problem related to seat angle, driver preference or inherent with the belts? I might have to change vendors when the time comes.

Fran Hall RCR

GT40s Sponsor
The Schroth belt used is specifically for a laid back seating position within the parameters of the SL-C.

The issues we have had are with the quick release shoulder harness buckles wanting to release without any assistance...not good on a racing seatbelt...

We experienced this with multiple drivers at the 13 hr race.....

I have not really had any thoughts on what to do this year....but the Schroth may stay if we can sort it out with them

I went to Wesco Performance and built the belts to my spec from RJS. I am confident that their certification is as good as any. I bought the camlock in Platnum with a sternum strap, pull up, clip in, lap belt. The shoulder straps have the dog bone design for the hans device and wrap around the roll bar. I ordered a single 2 inch sub with the camlock latch attached because I think it will work best with the seats in the SLC.

I'm sure there are more expensive belts but I don't know if they are better/safer.

Anyway, thanks everyone for the input.

What Mike said.

I worked at one time for an IndyCar team and the guy who strapped our driver in would kneel on the side pod and use both hands and all his weight to tighten the straps. It actually feels good to be that strapped in. You really feel as if you're part of the car.

The five point belts in my SPF are a million times better than the four point belts that came with the car mostly because of the crotch belt, which holds the lap belt down so that it rides over the pelvis rather than the stomach. The mounting locations in the car are less than ideal but that's the price you pay for a '66 era race car. Sigh.

I am planning a 6 point also. I like the ... ah... extra room. I am planning a Willans. You can get them with the two crotch straps fixed to the release mechanism. Then you clip the other four straps in. I think it will be an easier system to use on the road, and just as effective on track. I have the single seater 6-point in my formula ford and love it, but it requires you to snake the crotch straps though buckles on the waist straps, which is cumbersome.

So bringing up an old conversation who manufactured the original harnesses for the GT40 and are they still in business? Also can anyone share their experience with Willans or Deist?

Rich

Neil

Supporter
I use a 7-point harness from DJ Safety. It has a rotary latch which makes it easy to click each belt into place individually.

Back