Wing Mirrors

I'm using chromed bullet style wing mirrors but still deciding where to mount them.
Common sense says where you can see best, but going by pictures 50% mount on the front canopy and the rest on the doors.
On my original GTD 40 I had them on the doors.
Usually your view rearwards from the drivers seat is through the drivers side window and view rearwards from the passenger side mirror is through the windscreen.
Comments welcomed
Cheers

I was talking to Frank about this a few weeks back. He was saying that for racing etc it was best to mount on the wings as then you don't have to take your eyes off the road ahead when you go to look in the mirror. This was regarding racing

I think though you may lose some road visibility on the wings - I could be wrong though.

KEITH, this is an old chestnut, discussed many times and can be quite emotive with some people. Depends whether your priority is function or aesthetics ! MY very strongly held personel is that you need to be able to use the mirror whilst keeping a forward view in your peripheral vision, which means that you need to view the mirrors through the front screen, rather than blindly turning your head to look into door mounted mirrors. Mount them just forward of the filler cap holes for safest visibilty , in my opinion.

KEITH, this is an old chestnut, discussed many times and can be quite emotive with some people. Depends whether your priority is function or aesthetics ! MY very strongly held personel is that you need to be able to use the mirror whilst keeping a forward view in your peripheral vision, which means that you need to view the mirrors through the front screen, rather than blindly turning your head to look into door mounted mirrors. Mount them just forward of the filler cap holes for safest visibilty , in my opinion.

100% agree :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

I've had them in both positions and front clip mount is best.

Yep, mine sit just in front of the filler caps, I agree with Frank with having to turn your head if they are mounted on the doors.

I also think they look better on the front clip.

Jas

interesting.
They have got to be functional.
On my Ultima I have just got two new carbon mirrors, Not Ultima's method but the supplier builds race cars and the mirrors are mounted to get best vision. One is mounted 130mm more forward than the other. Not cosmetically as good but efficient.
On the Ultima thats how I did them and yes the vision is good.
Could be the on the wings then !

Here's what I mean about the offset mirrors, this is a mock up prior to fixing.
OK it's not a GT40 " use your imagination ".
One mirror viewed through side glass and one through the screen, works well

Attachments

• web 0299.jpg
    web 0299.jpg
    272.1 KB · Views: 399
I am also at the point of purchasing mirrors and thinking about where to mount them. My car is planned as mainly a track day toy but licensed for the street for occasional summer use. I have also been heading toward the wing mounted location to view through the front windshield rather than the side door mounted location.

Keith,

I was leaning toward the bullet style mirrors but where did you get your CF mirrors, they look good also.

Gord Zonailo

Malcolm

Supporter
I seem to recall how some old cars like the cortina used to have mirrors near the front of the bonnet! Whatever. Surely the further you are from the mirror the more narrow vision you get?

I used to run the bullet mirrors on Wendy's Lotus 51c. To cut the vibration down, if you dismantle the mirror and then put in a spreader peice of metal, say a thin sheet of steel or equivalent, and use that to beef up the area about the bolt holes, it will be less likely to crumple when knocked and it allows it to be more stiffly mounted so reducing vibration so you can actually see better what is behnd you.

Keith I use the bullets on the doors.
It is what it is you get used to it.

The best mirror I have is off a push bike and I mounted it on a stem high on the drivers side window.
Hippo ear mirror they call it.
It is a must I recon.

I fitted a camera in the end,it sorted the blind spots.

Jim

Hi Gord, send me a PM and I will send you details of CF Mirrors.

Rick, That's a good, good mirror,

Ian Anderson

Lifetime Supporter
I remember a few years ago there was a thread on here where an Ausi / Kiwi from memory was fitting electrical adjustable motors etc into these chrome bullet mirrors. A lot of work but the best of both workds being internally adjustable

Ian

Mike

Lifetime Supporter
It is what it is you get used to it
Exactly. When I first looked out the windshield with the bullet mirrors up on the arches it was different. Narrow field of vision compared to what you might be used with consumer OEM DOT mirrors. After a little while I am now very comfortable with a quick glance before a lane change or backing out of tight openings. Get what you think looks the best and repetitive use will solve the rest...

Back