YES or NO?

David Morton

Lifetime Supporter
Larry,
New PC and I currently have no blocks set.
Anyway, the voting booths will be closed this time tomorrow and no matter what anyone says now, the answer will be apparent on Friday.
What is wrong with being free and independant anyway. If I still lived in Scotland I would feel that I and my family would still be enslaved by Westminster if the vote was NO.
Too close to call? Maybe. But one vote is all it needs to win this referendum.

Malcolm

Supporter
I do hope it gets decided by more than one vote! We would never hear the end of it otherwise.

Jeff, Scotland has always been its own country, just for the last 307 years part of the union.

Could be the highest voter turn out ever with 97% of those eligible to vote have registered to do so. This time tomorrow......I'll be racing! 8 hour karting enduro :)

David Morton

Lifetime Supporter
Malcolm,
I hope it is Yes with just one or a couple of votes as it shows how
democratic Scotland can be. This is a Scottish national referendum and not a constituency by constituency affair so the end result will not allow the clans to go to war again. It might brighten up the Autumn if it did. Just think about the Clan Stewart versus Clan Farquharson fought out with claymores on the tree lined avenues of Sterling and Perth to see who would regain King Arthurs Seat and proclaim Scotland a free nation again. Incidentally Clan Stewart used to rule England as well.

Malcolm

Supporter
Malcolm,
I hope it is Yes with just one or a couple of votes as it shows how
democratic Scotland can be. This is a Scottish national referendum and not a constituency by constituency affair so the end result will not allow the clans to go to war again. It might brighten up the Autumn if it did. Just think about the Clan Stewart versus Clan Farquharson fought out with claymores on the tree lined avenues of Sterling and Perth to see who would regain King Arthurs Seat and proclaim Scotland a free nation again. Incidentally Clan Stewart used to rule England as well.

Can't remember which clan I hail from but I know that a royal decree went out (remember this is about 300 years back) that said if you were from our clan you could be killed on sight so we switched to Macadam overnight! Then my grandfather changed it to MacAdam for some reason.

Anyway I thought the clans did go to war when Rangers played Celtic?

David Morton

Lifetime Supporter
You may have something there though religion rears it's ugly head in that debate.
The Ballot paper was interesting.

SCOTTISH REFERENDUM

Would you like to see Scotland independant?

YES. (BOX)

NO (BOX)

I thought it would have a lot more meaning if it said the opposite.

Would you like to see Scotland dependant?

NO

YES

As it is , a NO vote today will leave Scotland dependant on Westminster for another 20 odd years or more.

David Morton

Lifetime Supporter
I don't think that my name was very popular in the times of Mary (Queen of Scots) in that one of my forbears apparently betrayed her to Elizabeth. My youngest daughter has gone right back to the origins and we think it was originally Mortensen.
My claim to fame was I dated Mari MacLeod who' s father was the the "Macleod of the Macleods" - the chieftain of the clan. I think quite a few inhabitants in Stornoway also have the same name and the butchers are the world champion Black Pudding makers. They certainly are the best.
Charles MacLeod - Makers of Stornoway Black Pudding
www.charlesmacleod.co.uk/
Produced from a family recipe on the Isle of Lewis, Charles Macleod Stornoway black pudding is famous throughout the world as a 'taste of the islands'.

Last edited:
You may have something there though religion rears it's ugly head in that debate.
The Ballot paper was interesting.

SCOTTISH REFERENDUM

Would you like to see Scotland independant?

YES. (BOX)

NO (BOX)

I thought it would have a lot more meaning if it said the opposite.

Would you like to see Scotland dependant?

NO

YES

As it is , a NO vote today will leave Scotland dependant on Westminster for another 20 odd years or more.

If the vote is yes, does that mean you are off north of the border?

David Morton

Lifetime Supporter
I would certainly consider going north, once I've screwed every penny that I can from this place in Marlow. I'm retired and I get free NHS anyway so that isn't a factor. Where would
I choose? Probably on the north side of the Moray Firth in the Black Isle area for a main residence and another smaller one in the North Queensferry area near Edinburgh. i'd also buy a live on board catamarran and base it in the med - probably Turkey. Her indoors has different ideas so she can take her half and get on with it.

Doug S.

The protoplasm may be 72, but the spirit is 32!
Lifetime Supporter
Our news is that the "Yes" vote was 87%.

If so...that's HUGE, considering a few days ago it was 50/50.

Cheers!

Doug

David Morton

Lifetime Supporter
Well done the "NO" team. Salmond, or his contemporary, will be back for another referendum in 15 years - as he said in his speech just after 0600 this morning.
If Cameron does not deliver on the extra devolution he promised, he will probably get his wish of being asassinated (by a "Claymore" or a "Skean Dhu"). Now he has Wales and N.Ireland to satisfy as well.

David Morton

Lifetime Supporter
Doug,
The amount of voters expressed as a percentage of the 5.3 million [minus those not eligible (ie under the age to vote)]was approximately 87%. This means there was
4.6 million people who actually voted - and the result was split 45/55?
I hope that's a bit clearer.

Doug S.

Lifetime Supporter
Thanks, David...I just heard a quick blurb and 87% was mentioned...much clearer now!

I cannot for the life of me see how this referendum was a close run event. The No vote was always a solid No which accounted for 55% . The other 45% which would have included many No voters were battered to death by a propaganda machine over a number of years and converted into a Yes. The true number of Scots that really believed in an independent Scotland prior to this referendum is not 45%.

Bob

David Morton

Lifetime Supporter
1.6 million voted to yes (to leave). Cameron is squirming at the moment and cannot deliver the promises he made to Salmond.
Who ever said it was close run? 1.6 million is considerable but not close to 2 million and the next referendum should be 2029ad unless Cameron 'causes' it to be sooner. if that happens then the numbers will be reversed.

Doug S.

Lifetime Supporter
I find this thread amusing.

Did anyone really think Scotland would be ALLOWED to leave the UK?

The British Empire has been "crumbling" for centuries...not only the American colonists (who, of course, won their independence in a war), but India and other territories have been allowed independence without needing to engage in armed conflict.

Why not Scotland??? Just because of its geographical location?

Cheers!

Doug

Back