Yos' SLC Build Thread

Thanks guys...it's exciting to have it this close. I've been thinking of interior stuff non-stop. I finally have a guy that can put together what ever I dream up...so it should come out really cool. I hope so anyways...

Right now it's sitting at the shop waiting to be dyno'ed. I got the ECU and harness made before GM offered one for the LS9...and the guys who built it...locked it. So I sent it back to be reprogrammed and unlocked...but haven't got it back yet. As soon as I do...it'll be tuned on the dyno and ready to go.

I've only driven it in the parking lot...so no good stories yet. I can say that it's loud...very, very loud :thumbsup:

Ken Roberts

Supporter
Any updates Yos? Can't wait to see the interior.

It looks like the LS9 was installed without any need to modify the engine compartment window. How close is it to the window? Is the engine installed in the factory mounted position?

How did you mount the front hood to the chassis?

Hey guys...

Jeez...didn't realize how long I've gone without any updates! I drove the car finally!

The very first drive in the car was a 20 mile ride home from the tuner shop. Probably not the best idea with no windsheild, seat belts, gauges of any kind, or registration...but why trailer a running car?!

It dyno'd out at 544hp to the wheels after some major ecu drama. In the end...it all worked out, and its a relief to get the engine stuff behind me. I was always nervous about the fuel and intercooler systems...but they appear to be fine.

The car is FAST. Very, very fast. I stood on the gas a few times and was very surprised at the traction. It just grabs and goes! It only let loose once in second gear as the engine spooled way up. Probably 6K rpm or so...hard to tell with no tach. I'm guessing I had it up to around 70 or 80 at one point and the car drives like its on tracks. It feels safe and made me feel way more confident than I should have considering it was just a long test drive. Bottom line....it's a ridiculous vehicle, and I couldn't be happier. :thumbsup:

Also...this car draws attention...way too much attention. People take pictures of my other car all the time...but people were out of their minds when they saw this thing.

A little drama...it overheated a bit. It started idling high on the way home and puked out some coolant right when I shut it off. (Another reminder I should've had gauges in it) Nothing crazy...but enough came out of the overflow to indicate a problem. I'm assuming I have air in the system? It was a relatively cool day for Florida, and I have upgraded fans per Allan's suggestion. I did install a shroud as well. The drive had almost zero red lights or stop signs, and I honestly didn't push it that hard. I'll start searching threads for coolant systems...but would love to hear if there's any easy way to "bleed" the coolant system.

Any updates Yos? Can't wait to see the interior.

It looks like the LS9 was installed without any need to modify the engine compartment window. How close is it to the window? Is the engine installed in the factory mounted position?

How did you mount the front hood to the chassis?

Will be in the interior shop soon. Waiting my turn :sad:

The engine clears...kinda. The supercharger rubs the plexi on the corners. It's so close that I probably would've never noticed it except I painted it red...the paint has rubbed through on the very top corners. Crazy close!

Yos,
The coolant system if designed properly will self bleed. It's doubtful that the system needed bleeding since it was run on a dyno for some time and I imagine your tuner would have noticed bad coolant numbers. Possibly it developed a leak on the 20 mile bugs-in-your-teeth drive home?

Thank you sir...I've been looking for a leak, but can't see anything at all...yet. I need to get some gas put in it and let it run for a while longer in my garage. Maybe something will show up when I get it back up to higher temps. I've been lazy and was planning to start sorting it out this weekend.

Here's a dyno vid...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8CvR3ZmUWp4

Thanks guys...it sounds pretty violent in person :thumbsup:

Vidal...I wish you could've been there. Sorry I didn't send you a heads up...the whole thing kinda caught me off guard too. I don't even wanna think about how long it's been sitting there!

Ken Roberts

Supporter
Yos how did you delete the power steering pump on the LS9 accessory drive belt line. Is it still in operation? Did you remove the vanes from inside the pump? Is it filled with oil and sealed? Also the A/C compressor...are you using the stock one that comes with the LS9 accessory drive?

I'm now the proud owner of a LS9 supercharger and I'm in the middle of collecting all the needed parts. This will be for my next project...hopefully a GT-R

Back