ZFQ new proposed GT40 transaxle

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi Rick

Custom headers, Engine bay mod's by Hi-Tech, modification to starter position on ZFQ bellhousing and I think the rest was quite straight forward. I think the installation is really good and solves the emission problems in Australia.

regards

Chris

Picture below shows modified starter position.

Attachments

• IMG_2290000.jpg
    IMG_2290000.jpg
    114.9 KB · Views: 978
Just to show that the body fits.

Regards

Chris

Attachments

• IMG_2290001.jpg
    IMG_2290001.jpg
    74.9 KB · Views: 773
  • IMG_229004.jpg
    IMG_229004.jpg
    99.5 KB · Views: 550
chris,
do you recommend changing the trans fluid after the first 500 miles or so with the zfq?
my car now lives!
thanks

Hi guys

just a note to say that the ZFQ team were extremely happy to see Dennis Olthoff in his Superformance GT40, fitted with a ZFQ transaxle thrash many original GT40s on track at Road America, including the Holman Moody 7 Litre Mk11.

The ZFQ is setting the modern standard for high powered GT40s. Olthoff attained over 190mph plus on track and was leaving two distinct rubber trails from mid bend on every corner, putting the 540 rwhp down through the Quaife ATB differential.

Well done Dennis

regards

Chris Melia.

Chris,
A question about the zfq for a porsche application. As you know on a porsche motor, the porsche transmissions have the output shafts below the input shaft. As I see from the drawings on the quaife website, the zfq is the opposite. therefore on a porsche application, wouldnt the zfq box be inverted as in a pantera?

Hi

The G50 in the 911 has probably 3.5" more ground clearance than your 917 so to enable the drive shafts to sit level with the engine as low as it can go you need the output shafts higher than the input shaft, that's why they flip the G50 for Ultimas and GT40s.
Dont worry it will work out. I would run the 917 with 5" rear ground clearance for road use and 4" to 4.5" for track use.

Porsche factory drawings put the transaxle output centres at 200mm above the bottom of the chassis and 290mm from the road with 90mm of ground clearance

Regards

Chris.

Last edited:
I certainly dont have a real 917 motor. I'm using a 993 motor. on a real 917, the transmission input shaft runs off the engine output shaft the sits a couple of inches below the crankshaft as opposed to a typical 911 motor where the input shaft runs direct off the crank, therefore the input shaft location is higher on a 911 motor. My point is, I was originally going to use my 930 box(flipped ring gear) with its typical porsche orientation with the input shaft above the output shafts, So I figured when I switched to the ZFQ, the right thing to do would be to invert the box so it is in the exact same orientation as the 930 trans. Seems logical. With the standard zfq orientation I have a couple of concerns. 1. the output shafts will be too high, half shafts will angle down like a ski slope, looks nasty. 2. the higher trans will interfere with the 917s frame triangulation at the rear. I want to keep the frame to exact 917 spec. here is a photo with the 930 trans mounted to the frame. notice the frame tubes above the red oil fill plug, that will be a clearance issue with standard zfq orientation.

Attachments

• jim dunham garage dec 07 (1).jpg
    jim dunham garage dec 07 (1).jpg
    62.6 KB · Views: 740
ZFQ uses a hypoid R&P which makes it like the G50 rather than 930, so if you fit it to your application as pictured you will have 5 reverses & 1 fwd . I dont think ,( but Im sure Chris will correct me if Iam wrong ) that they make a reverse image version of the R&P for the ZFQ to allow its use in the std Pantera position or the likes of yours..yet. Not quite as simple as the shaft load paths change direction as well.

Hi

As I said above the output shafts on a 917 Porsche are 200mm from the bottom of the chassis and you can fit the output shafts on the ZFQ at that height. The transaxle you have ordered is a special build with a 5" extension on the input shaft to place you 6 banger 911 engine closer to your C of G. Russ Hughes has researched the dimensions already for his excellent 917 build and is happy with the transaxle dimensions and output shaft positions.

The 917 runs a much lower ground clearance than the 911 Porsche so running a 911 transaxle in its usual orientation will i.e. output shaft below input shaft will give you drive shafts that run up towards the hubs not a good idea. You want to keep your motor as low in the frame as you can to help with the C of G.
So relax the ZFQ will fit

Regards

Chris.

Last edited:

Ron Earp

Admin
I moved it to it's on thread in the interest of keeping this thread on the intended vendor topic. I can easily put it back if that is what you'd like. Sort of one of those "damned if I don't damned if I do things" that comes up as an admin.

Can someone tell me what the shift pattern for the ZFQ is? Are reverse and 1st in one plane, 2nd and 3rd in the next and 4th and 5th in the last? Thanks.

Hi Mike

The ZFQ is the same gear pattern as the ZF, known as a dog leg first. The layout is almost as you stated but reverse is left and forward, First is half left and back. Second is forward of neutral and third is back of neutral. Fourth is right and forward and fifth is right and back.
Regards

Chris
PS. I live at Mildenhall?

Shifting problem.

I'm trying to figure out why changing gears take so much effort. Before I hooked up the cables to the ZFQ things moved nice and smooth. I'm using the brackets supplied by Oltoff. Its not that I can't get it into every gear it just takes LOTS more effort than any car I have ever driven.

I will say the centering springs are not what you would call light and I'm considering either changing to lighter springs or removing them all together. Except for the spring the shifter moves left to right OK but getting into gear isn't what I would call silky smooth. Any Ideas.

One more question. I'm thinking of building a rod linkage setup. Can anybody tell me the degree of rotation and distance in and out on the shifter rod to make gear changes?

Thanks.

Attachments

• IMG_0085.jpg
    IMG_0085.jpg
    54.9 KB · Views: 537
  • IMG_0098.jpg
    IMG_0098.jpg
    45.8 KB · Views: 501
Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back