429: Will it fit?

Has anyone ever attempted to install the 429 Big Block Ford into the GT 40 chassis, or know if it will fit ? With the release of Jon Kaase's Boss 9 heads, I was doing some wild wondering on a cold winters day.:laugh:

I measured mates (RIP 10/-08 :sad: ) 522cid "385 -series" engine (460), and compared to my mk1 engine room. After that i stopped dreaming about mk1/2 + "385" combo. It won`t fit (w/o very, very exotic transmission arrangements). Wondering now how will 351 fit...

Sure it will fit. You may have to mess with it a bit. It's a big motor but they did put in in a MK4 chassis. Height may be a problem getting it under the rear body work but you asked if it would fit in the chassis.

Keith

Yes but a Boss 429 is a "Hemi" headed lump and therefore has real wide cylinder heads which would also be significantly higher than an FE.

It's a big rufty tufty lump that never really got properly developed. I used to own Dennis Leech's fire breathing Boss 429 Mustang back in the '80's. I've got some pictures somewhere of it being raced by Dennis (against Martin Birrane now of Lola fame) usually totally obscured by a huge cloud of smoke as another motor let go! Sexy looking though....

Attachments

• 113_0603_07_z+ford_boss_429+2_4in_intake_valves.jpg
    113_0603_07_z+ford_boss_429+2_4in_intake_valves.jpg
    65.5 KB · Views: 1,767
  • 113_0603_01_z+ford_boss_429+block.jpg
    113_0603_01_z+ford_boss_429+block.jpg
    50.4 KB · Views: 1,543
I believe they're talking about the regular 429/460 with conventional heads although the CJ heads work very well.This is still a W-I-D-E,heavy motor.Had one in a Ford sedan.You will need to choose a transaxle carefully due to the torque available.A.J.

Keith

I believe they're talking about the regular 429/460 with conventional heads although the CJ heads work very well.This is still a W-I-D-E,heavy motor.Had one in a Ford sedan.You will need to choose a transaxle carefully due to the torque available.A.J.

See post #1 "With the release of Jon Kaase's Boss 9 heads, I was doing some wild wondering on a cold winters day"

These are the Jon Kaase heads on a 580 inch 429/460 based motor.... Look like a Boss to you? :)

Attachments

• 580.jpg
    580.jpg
    97.6 KB · Views: 1,028

Ron Earp

Admin
It's a big rufty tufty lump that never really got properly developed. I used to own Dennis Leech's fire breathing Boss 429 Mustang back in the '80's.=.

Oh, they got properly developed alright - just not by Ford. You'll find them here in the US from time to time in proper trim and they make a bunch of hp. The ones that originally came in the few cars they were in though, no, those didn't do the motor justice with power output. Those cars are are so valuable now though that owners wouldn't dare lay a finger on the motors. I've been following a Boss 429 build up in a 70 Torino over on Ford Muscle, good stuff. Motor pic follows but they haven't got into the serious development of the engine yet.

Attachments

• boss.jpg
    boss.jpg
    63.3 KB · Views: 600
Back