917 Scratch Build

Jackal

CURRENTLY BANNED
Thanks guys, Rick S, I have a Porsche 3.4 direct injection engine and 6-speed box to go in it from a crashed Cayman S, I intend to put a GT3 throttle body on and with a stand alone ecu and decent exhaust should see 340-350 out of it, so should be fun!!:drunk: Although I keep thinking I should be putting a GT3 engine in it, maybe I will make a "special" for myself once this is done!!!
Mike S, the screen I can still get from Pilkington Glass here in the UK, they have the original tooling and reckon they can get it "E" marked which is what we need here to get it road legal.
Jackal, you have plenty of talent looking at your build thread, mine looked just as yours does, I am just a bit further down the path, won`t be long untill you`re taking molds from your buck, doing a grand job!
A pic of it all packed up to go to Stoneleigh Kit Car show then home to Holland, it is hoped that this will be a demonstrator with a view to make a limited number of kits available to sell, although a lot of developement work and re-developement lies ahead before we will be ready.
In the trailer is a Caterham style car, the front and rear sections of the 917 and doors and front hatch, pretty tight to say the least!!!!!
6999451470_7db491c49e.jpg

Stunning car!

Well made the mould (3 piece) and a couple of dash`s, carbon first layer then fg for the rest, pic showing first one mounted up against the body, fits perfectly so very happy with it, just need to work out how to cut Carbon leaving clean edges at the join lines now but think i have it sussed, will use 1" wide carbon tape with the joins behind it, that way it`ll look smart.
7189228785_7c061cbed6_z.jpg

more pictures at Porsche 917 Replica progress so far - a set on Flickr

regards Chris

What resin did you use with the carbon? It's my understanding it needs to be epoxy. It's also my understanding the exopy & fg resin don't stick to each other. Have you looked into the possability down the road of de-lamination of the two? Looks great just wouldn't want you to have problems after all your hard & excellent work.
Mike S.

Mike, Vinylester resins would be okay for a non structural part. I never had a lot of luck with CF open molding. Parts come out okay, but lack great cosmetics without sanding and clear coating. Polyester resins may be used, but expect a brittle part. Non-structural okay. May have the opportunity to play with some resin infusion in the near future.
Epoxy will stick to prepared polyester surfaces, but no so good the other way around.

Last edited:
What resin did you use with the carbon? It's my understanding it needs to be epoxy. It's also my understanding the exopy & fg resin don't stick to each other. Have you looked into the possability down the road of de-lamination of the two? Looks great just wouldn't want you to have problems after all your hard & excellent work.
Mike S.

Hi Mike,
Carbon is only a cosmetic layer, used polyester for lay-up, it was first one out the mould so just trying some things. You can use Epoxy to bond two Polyester components together but you wouldn`t use Polyester to bond two Epoxy components together. If it was structual then i`d be using Epoxy and Carbon but would use infusion istead of wet lay-up but it`s just a dash and polyester`s just fine!
Your Lotus is coming along nicely!!
regards Chris

Mike, Vinylester resins would be okay for a non structural part. I never had a lot of luck with CF open molding. Parts come out okay, but lack great cosmetics without sanding and clear coating. Polyester resins may be used, but expect a brittle part. Non-structural okay. May have the opportunity to play with some resin infusion in the near future.
Epoxy will stick to prepared polyester surfaces, but no so good the other way around.

Beat me to it!!!!

You used poly throughout that's fine. I was just concerned about de-lam between after all you hard work. Yes just a dash but you'd not like it to come appart in the future LOL Thanks on the blip about my Lotus. It's getting there slow but sure. I work on it just about every day. Keeps me out from under the wifeys feet LOL
Mike S

David Morton

Lifetime Supporter
The red and white Atwood car in the first couple of pages was rebuilt at Adams MCall in High Wycombe in the early nineties and a couple of copies of the frame was made at the same time. One went to Switzerland and then the USA and the other is still in the UK with a 'mature' even elderly 917 racer.
I collected various replacement parts from Vasek Polak for that car.

Eve all, Happy Independance Day to those from the States!
Started to sort the sills out over the last few days, picture of the body etc all on to get the sill profile sorted, have since stripped all the body off and turned upside down to do all the underside of the sills and am almost done. I am going to have to do the sills in 2 parts, this will take care of the sill length issue which will be determined by how much is trimmed off the rear section on fitting, ie, trim more off and the sills will then need to be shorter as the front and rear of the sill fairs into the body work!
regards Chris
7420647262_4b364f4b5f_c.jpg

Jim Craik

Lifetime Supporter
Chris,

She is looking fantastic, that front tire/wheel looks perfict!

After all that hard work, I bet trips to the shop make your heart soar.

Well got the sills done, popped the body and a couple of tires under it to see "how it looks", am happy with it, a couple of pics, this is with ride height roughly set at 5" front and 6" rear, the front is on the p*ss as the chock is not square so front wheel arch clearence looks a bit fine!
7534996094_fa1596a058_b.jpg

and one from the rear
7535002058_66830aa54b_b.jpg

Jackal

CURRENTLY BANNED
Here in South Africa we have plenty of "speed bumps" Don't know if you have as many around as we do. On my build I'm going to use similar setup to the Murcie with a pneumatic lifter for lifting the front for such inconveniences as mentioned above. I see your nose overhang is also pretty long, are you thinking in similar lines?

Regards
Jackal

Here in South Africa we have plenty of "speed bumps" Don't know if you have as many around as we do. On my build I'm going to use similar setup to the Murcie with a pneumatic lifter for lifting the front for such inconveniences as mentioned above. I see your nose overhang is also pretty long, are you thinking in similar lines?

Regards
Jackal

Hi Jackal,
We have a few about, I am aware of the "front lift systems" but won`t be going down that route, too heavy and complicated for a simpleton like me and there is not a lot of room available for such a system. I aim to keep it light to get decent performance as will only have circa 320-340bhp to play with unless I turbo it!!!
regards Chris

Chris:
I commend you on your perseverance on this build, knowing what it takes to get where you are now I can say that it looks like all that work is coming to fruition.
I would bet that the photos don't do your body and mold work justice, those are some nice fits and that look from the rear is about as nice as it gets without paint.
I cant wait to see what your chassis paneling and cockpit will look like.
Cheers
Phil

Chris:
I commend you on your perseverance on this build, knowing what it takes to get where you are now I can say that it looks like all that work is coming to fruition.
I would bet that the photos don't do your body and mold work justice, those are some nice fits and that look from the rear is about as nice as it gets without paint.
I cant wait to see what your chassis paneling and cockpit will look like.
Cheers
Phil

Thanks Phil for the comments, the fit lines are just rough I have not done them properly yet. My chassis paneling will be from moulded Carbon when I get to it!
Have now done one sill mould, the top of which wraps over to form the door shut and also locate the front section, you can see the square sections on the front and mid length on the sill, the mid length one will also allow me to put a tube in both sides to engage and locate the tail section when it closes, so doing 2 jobs.
Anyway a pic with the fences on prior to waxing and gel
7739169346_4a00f6051e_z.jpg

And the last picture showing the bottom section popped off with the top one still to be taken off, came off a treat in the end, now onto t`other sill mould!
7839378118_04a66c7f8f_z.jpg

Quick update, popped the first sill out the mould, came out and fits very well indeed, very happy with it. pic shows it wedged on the car, it needs a good trim
7893502036_cf51a15e5e_z.jpg

And have a rendering of the front upright, this will use 300mm vented floating discs on alloy bells and Hi-Spec 4 pot alloy callipers, Porsche bearing/hub so should cope well with plenty of abuse. The steering arm/top mount is bolt on to allow us to shim camber without affecting steering etc, much like with the 962. It is designed specifically for our car, ride heights/tyre/wheel sizes. Simple but functional!
7905628392_1cbb783bdd.jpg

Back