930 failure?

Russ, as you know I read all this stuff thru & thru, I question the need to spray the CWP since if the lower portion of the CW is running in the oil bath & only has to carry the oil 1/4 of a turn before it engages the pinion in your inverted application , the lube situation is actually better than the 'normal' non inverted Porsche application ( In the porsche with trans in front / motor to rear the CW has to carry the lube thru 3/4 turn!). The only thing that would change that is if you ran a 'true' dry sump type application where all trans oil is removed cooled filtered etc with no residual oil level. This applies to all transaxles with the trans behind the rear axle.

Jac Mac

Russ Noble

GT40s Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
Russ, as you know I read all this stuff thru & thru,
Jac Mac

Good, did you read the bit about info wanted on the slippery?:dead:

Duh, I think you're right about the spray bar, but it's there now and it'll spread the freshly cooled oil throughout the tranny. And I love bling bling.;) There's the extra weight of the spraybar of course. hmmmmm......:rolleyes:

Sandy,

Some TOB photos now on my build site http://www.gt40s.com/forum/gt40-build-logs/16138-kiwi-scratchbuilt-5.html

Cheers,

Gregg

Gregg
Lifetime Supporter
Russ,
I defer to my source on 930s,David Craig who sold me my 930 and is a master mechanic with Porshe and other exotic trans. David was on the forum for a while and I think you had some correspondence with him about transmissions. I think he left a bad taste in some, but I will ell you this, he is one of the most knowledgeable people around when it comes to Porshe products. I think him honest too as well. Some may remember the 930saga that I went through. I asked him once about the spray bars and from what he told me, you don't really need a spray bar. Even for off roading. He knew several of the 935 and rally guys and said to effect that the ones with internal oilers(stock setups) were all that was needed and it was really fairly redundant. I could be wrong but I don't think they(935s) had any external setupss. I am adding it to mine for 2 reasons. One is peace of mind. They aren't cheap, and there are only a limited number of them out there, and second is the bling factor. I have two panels open in the back with the oil cooler in one, so it balances it out.
David and I get together every once in a while and talk cars. He is on vacation now if memory serves me. I will forward this thread and ask his opinion, or I will send you his email and you can get the straight skinny form him yourself.

Bill

Hey Bill, next time you talk to Mr. Craig, and since he is SOOO HONEST and upstanding, he still owes me some money, not to mention all my lost time and aggravation. Perhaps since you guys are such good friends you could get me the balance of my refund. Let me know.
For anyone who doesn't know Mr. Craig, you can read all about him here:

Sticky: BEWARE OF DAVID CRAIG i.e. "TIREBITER" ( 1 2) Sorry the link doesn't work, but the experience is in the consumer section of the forum. If a moderator would make the link active herein that would be appreciated.

Personally you would be wasting your money with him.

Russ,

Mr. Craig wasn't banned, he decided not to return. Agree 100% with Jac. Spray bars are unnecessary. My expert confirmed same years ago.

As far as tech goes Russ, please explain to me how you could trust information from someone who has proven himself to be untrustworthy. Not talking personalities, talking honesty.

Gregg

Ron Earp

Admin
To be 100% accurate I did ban David Craig (Tirebiter). He was caught trying to rip off a forum member and is also infamous on other forum sites. He might very well know his transaxles, but it seems he has some problems being straight up with everyone he deals with.

http://www.gt40s.com/forum/feedback...s/22048-beware-david-craig-i-e-tirebiter.html

His profile can be found here:

http://www.gt40s.com/forum/members/tirebiter.html?do=getinfo

He was not banned for a good while after Gregg's incident so that he could respond, but after a couple of months I banned him.

Good, did you read the bit about info wanted on the slippery?

Cheers,

No, send me some pics by email of it in dismantled form, me not being of the P---- brigade, need a refresh on what they look like---could take a while tho, Im a bit busy, had a couple of 235/50 x 16's for lunch.:)

Jac Mac

Gregg

Gregg
Lifetime Supporter
I stand corrected. Russ, he was banned.

Ron, thanks for posting the link. Perhaps you could pm me and educate me as to how to copy and post the link. I copied it to my hard drive and tried to copy it but was unsuccessful. Thanks.

Russ Noble

GT40s Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
Jac Mac,

When you come to pick up your wheels soon, allow an extra half hour and we'll rebuild it together.

Russ, I have an electronic copy for the late 915 LSD and the G31 which are both the same as the 930 if you're interested.

And are you refering to the bearing retainer plate when you said you haven't heard of the modification? This is the same basic thing that is used on the 915. (except it is slightly different.. OEM 915 is 2 pc. & 930 is 1 pc.) There are a few places that have these. Insidently, the G31 uses the 915 type and the 016Z uses the 930 type. I haven't compared them (because the G31 is currently in my car) but the shims are the same between all of them.

Greg,
Sorry to revive an old wound. I found David different from the shenanagans that played out on the forum. Maybe because he saw that I wouldn't allow him to play around with me. Don't know. I try to be careful with people I don't know, til I do. I always try to protect myself in financial transactions. Using Escrow.com on what I considered more than one major purchase has saved me many heartaches with my build. Not only with the purchase of the car, but with David as well. If he wanted his money, he would have to follow the rules. See 930 Saga:
http://www.gt40s.com/forum/gt40-tech-powertrain-transaxles/18166-930-saga.html?highlight=930+saga
After I had shipped the trans back to him the second time. I didn't hear from him for a while. Calls went unreturned, and emails unanswered. Then when I did get through, the stollen car had been recovered and he was waiting on the motions of his lawyer to get the car back. He offered to refund my money and call it off. I declined as it was a good deal for me, and the delay wasn't really holding me up. I wasn't at the stage that I actually needed the trans. For mock ups I had the old trans to work with. Russ was willing to wait. So we did, and all worked out.
When David gets back in town from the holidays, I will contact him and ask him what his side of the topic is and will report back to you. I wouldn't hold my breath though. If this is too painful to go through again, I won't persue it further.
My closing the barn door after the horse is out advice is,,,,,If you are going to make a purchase that you feel is to much money to lose, use Escrow.com. It cost a few bucks, but will save you money and/or hartbreak in the end. The money can't be lost, it is tied up until buyer and seller are happy. Otherwise you get a refund less the fee. Even who pays it is negotiable.

Bill

Russ Noble

GT40s Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
Russ, I have an electronic copy for the late 915 LSD and the G31 which are both the same as the 930 if you're interested.

And are you refering to the bearing retainer plate when you said you haven't heard of the modification? This is the same basic thing that is used on the 915. (except it is slightly different.. OEM 915 is 2 pc. & 930 is 1 pc.) There are a few places that have these. Insidently, the G31 uses the 915 type and the 016Z uses the 930 type. I haven't compared them (because the G31 is currently in my car) but the shims are the same between all of them.

Thanks Pete a copy would be be great. How do I get it? Any info on adjustment? I need to set it up opposite to the standard Porsche power/overrun split.

I have heard of the steel bearing support for the 915 (It doesn't have a one piece plate standard, right?) All 930's have one from the factory. The aftermarket one is a stronger one and it's the first time I've heard of anyone needing to beef up the factory item on a 930. Maybe it's like the spray bar. Not needed!

Thanks

Russ Noble

GT40s Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
From this thread :- http://www.gt40s.com/forum/gt40-tec...rsche-g50-turbo-box-necessary.html#post274644

I don't remember where I got these but........I think this was out of a 935 maybe.

Photos at last from Pete T of a 930 failure!

Stripped 2nd gear. No details of how, where, why or when. Looks like a relatively easy, comparatively cheap fix! Clean out all the detritus, slide on a couple of new gears and you're away again. Just a few hundred bucks for parts and a bit of time, so long as none of the broken teeth have caused damage anywhere else. If thats what breaks in a 930, I could live with that. I wonder what caused it? Maybe a brutal upshift from first getting off the line?

Attachments

• 53920074.Toms935630003.jpg
    53920074.Toms935630003.jpg
    41 KB · Views: 322
  • 53920075.Toms935630004.jpg
    53920075.Toms935630004.jpg
    3.3 KB · Views: 286
Back