A Riviera scratchbuilt GT40

Thank you D. and Graham; now, my challenge is to keep all the work still to be done at the same level!

I have not been yet in contact with Olivier but I will of course give him all informations if he calls me.

From my present understanding, there are approx.5 to 7 GT40 scratcht build projects presently in France, at various achievement steps....; 2 of them, at least, have the body made from the GT40 MARTIN moulds.

René

Hi Rene,

You can add another to that number now, Claude Chaume picked his kit up from me on Saturday morning after a 700 km drive from France.

It's great that the community of builders is growing, especially so many people taking on the challenge of building something from scratch like you are. Then to do it to an incredible high level is astonishing.

D.

Nice information D.; it looks that the body activity is growing up ...

I do not know Claude Chaume, but you can propose him to get in touch with me ...

René

Here are some recent pictures with the safety cage installed ; I made it from 40X2 TUB37 steel , cold bended .

It does not meet any racing class specification but related to the "track-day" use I plan for the car, I feel better to have it on the head....

By the same time, I machined a different clutch fork design for the G50 box , in order to get the receiver cylinder on the side of the box, instead of being exactly in place of the main bottom rail in the engine bay ! I will post pictures when finished and pre-tested ....

Rene

Attachments

• gt40 087 Roll bar.JPG
    gt40 087 Roll bar.JPG
    213.9 KB · Views: 1,830
  • gt40 088 Roll bar.JPG
    gt40 088 Roll bar.JPG
    182.4 KB · Views: 1,675
  • gt40 089 Roll bar.JPG
    gt40 089 Roll bar.JPG
    187.3 KB · Views: 1,457
  • gt40 090 Roll bar.JPG
    gt40 090 Roll bar.JPG
    228.6 KB · Views: 1,486
  • gt40 091 Roll bar.JPG
    gt40 091 Roll bar.JPG
    186.1 KB · Views: 1,500
  • gt40 092 Roll bar.JPG
    gt40 092 Roll bar.JPG
    190.6 KB · Views: 1,650
René, I must say I am tremendously impressed with your design and fabrication skills - really excellent work, congratulations.

Rene

nicely done. I think you will get some issues with the design of your rear role bar hoop. this triangle will be exactly at the space you are with your head as well. it will be damn close to your skull . Would realy think about a redesign here.

Here you can see how it is done on my RCR. And i can tell you with a helmet on and my seating position ( i´m 187 cm tall) i have about 1 to 2 inch of gap to the now FIA padded role cage.
PICT4142.jpg

ALso check if you want to do a more substantial mounting

TOM

Last edited:
Tom,

Thanck you to point out some safety issue you detected on my build and as your experience is far ahead mine..., I will closely re-check and adjust if needed all those points.

In fact, I made some distance checks before installing the safety bar, but as I am 1.70 cm (small..) I had no major problem to get 10 cm from the bar , even with the helmet!

But the problem will remain for tall passengers or taller driver ....

René

Hi René!
I am deeply impressed with your work. I just downloaded the chassie drawings (PDF)and they look really nice.
I am in the planing my own "scratch build" and I just have to ask if you would like share them in their original format? that would be a really god base for my build.

I really understand if you want to keep it for your own, but i just had to ask.

Keep up the god work and i will definetly follow this thread!

/The swede Markus

Markus,

Welcome to the scratchbuilders community...

The original drawings where made with Solidworks CAD and the files can be converted to E-Drawings for mail exchange ; but it looks that E-drawings cannot be loaded on the forum .

That is the reason why I made those pdf scan from prints, in order to have them visible for everybody who is interested.

As a first level, if you send me your mail ( Private message), I can send you the E-Drawings files which give 3D move capability.

As a second level, I have no objection to share the original Solidwork files , but I have to check the legality ( Solidworks is an educational version ...) and the transfert issues...

René

Jim Craik

Lifetime Supporter
Rene,

I'm very impressed with both your design and build, very, very nice.

Guys, this may be a dumb question, but I have seen many GT40 roll bar designs. I always wondered with the limited cabin space/head room, why you do not put the rear portion of the roll bar behind the firewall/bulkhead?

Many DRB's have been built with the bulkhead roll bar on the engine side of the bulkhead, braced back onto the chassis near the top of the coil-over mounts.

Sorry everybody, but it will be way easier in french for this time!

Salut René, très beau chassis et montage!

Désolé d'intervenir pour une critique, mais, si je peux me permettre:
Montage de la partie AV: les deux boulons passant à travers le tube ne sont certainement pas la meilleure solution. Une platine en equerre soudée sur le tube, et reprise si possible sur plusieurs tubes du chassis. Assez épaisse la platine, au moins 3 je dirais.

Pour la partie AR, je rejoins les avis de mes petits camarades anglophones... Je me rapelle avoir lu su ce forum l'histoire d'un conducteur mort d'avoir tapé l'arceau avec la tête... On n'y pense pas toujours, mais ca peut arriver. La solution de passer à travers la cloison est bonne à mon sens. Ensuite, le défaut des répliques, est de ne pas avoir de toit "travaillant' en terme de rigidité. Perso, je ferais comme montré sur une photo, deux tubes au millieu pour rejoindre l'avant et l'ar, qui libèrent le passage des porte, et entre ces deux tubes et les parties AV et AR, des equerres. Un petit calcul sur SW devrait confirmer les bêtises que je raconte.

A bientot et bonne continuation!

Olivier.

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
Sorry everybody, but it will be way easier in french for this time!

Salut René, très beau chassis et montage!

Désolé d'intervenir pour une critique, mais, si je peux me permettre:
Montage de la partie AV: les deux boulons passant à travers le tube ne sont certainement pas la meilleure solution. Une platine en equerre soudée sur le tube, et reprise si possible sur plusieurs tubes du chassis. Assez épaisse la platine, au moins 3 je dirais.

Pour la partie AR, je rejoins les avis de mes petits camarades anglophones... Je me rapelle avoir lu su ce forum l'histoire d'un conducteur mort d'avoir tapé l'arceau avec la tête... On n'y pense pas toujours, mais ca peut arriver. La solution de passer à travers la cloison est bonne à mon sens. Ensuite, le défaut des répliques, est de ne pas avoir de toit "travaillant' en terme de rigidité. Perso, je ferais comme montré sur une photo, deux tubes au millieu pour rejoindre l'avant et l'ar, qui libèrent le passage des porte, et entre ces deux tubes et les parties AV et AR, des equerres. Un petit calcul sur SW devrait confirmer les bêtises que je raconte.

A bientot et bonne continuation!

Olivier.

Google Translate:

Rene hello, very nice frame and mounting! Sorry to respond to criticism, but if I may: Assembling the Front: two bolts passing through the tube is certainly not the best solution. An angled plate welded on the tube, and repeated if possible on several tubes of the frame. Rather thick plate, I would say at least 3. For the AR part, I agree with the opinions of my classmates speaking ... I remember having read this forum know the story of a dead driver have entered the hoop with his head ... We do not always think, but it can happen. The solution to pass through the partition is good in my opinion. Then the default replicas, is not having a roof 'working' in terms of rigidity. Personally, I'd like shown on a picture, two tubes in the middle to get to the front and rear, which free passage carriers, and between these two tubes and front and rear parts, brackets. A little calculation on SW should confirm the stupid things I said. See you soon and good luck!

I think the best solution for rear hoop placement is integrated into the rear bulkhead like Southern GT. Of course, for competition, the sanctioning body's regulations have to be met. But, putting the rear hoop in the engine bay adds to the already tight packaging there, and placing it inside the cabin obviously brings up driver safety issues. However, with sufficient padding, I would take in cabin before engine bay.

Also, having the front and rear hoops tied by single or dual tubes down the center under the spider is not idea. Looking at some pics I have seen (even posted on this forum), seeing the corner of the front hoop crushed back to a point where occupant safety is in question, I really think tubes at top sides to prevent deformation seems important.

But, that's just my opinion.

Ian

Thank you all, for your informations and suggestions about the roll bar installation and the related safety issues ....

I am gathering all data and try to find the best solution, including that I plan to install 2 each side bar links between the uper coils points and the roof ( Close to DRB solution , as says Dalton ) , at the bolting points of the présent bulkhead roll bar.

The main reason why I did not installed the roll bar in the engine bay, is that they are so many things to install in this area: Dry sump thank, water tank,oil radiator, fire extinguisher , links bars etc ...

René

Markus,

Welcome to the scratchbuilders community...

The original drawings where made with Solidworks CAD and the files can be converted to E-Drawings for mail exchange ; but it looks that E-drawings cannot be loaded on the forum .

That is the reason why I made those pdf scan from prints, in order to have them visible for everybody who is interested.

As a first level, if you send me your mail ( Private message), I can send you the E-Drawings files which give 3D move capability.

As a second level, I have no objection to share the original Solidwork files , but I have to check the legality ( Solidworks is an educational version ...) and the transfert issues...

René

Hello René!
You have PM
/Markus

Hi René!
I am deeply impressed with your work. I just downloaded the chassie drawings (PDF)and they look really nice.
I am in the planing my own "scratch build" and I just have to ask if you would like share them in their original format? that would be a really god base for my build.

I really understand if you want to keep it for your own, but i just had to ask.

Keep up the god work and i will definetly follow this thread!

/The swede Markus

Hi Markus

I've also been very impressed with Rene's work, and have re-created his plans using Google
Sketchup (free to download)...

If you want to drop me a PM with your email address I'll forward it on (and to anyone else who's interested).

Cheers
James

I my self create the 3D in Formz :laugh:
But I have to say it's quite precise there was something wrong on the front in terms of mesure and also missing info as the red one and in other place, if anybody want plans or cut to check with dimension I can send the files in 2D and 3D CAD.
Fabrizio

Attachments

• Telaio.jpg
    Telaio.jpg
    331.4 KB · Views: 1,539
  • Unknow.jpg
    Unknow.jpg
    164.7 KB · Views: 1,728
Last edited:
Back