adaptor plates used on KVAs

Guys,

Any view on what adaptor plates were used on KVA's to mate 302s to R21/30

were they typically one offs, or were they produced by some one (KVA?)....?

I guess cars built later will have used the GTD adapator plate....?

I'm asking to investigate what starter motor options might be available....

Rgds

Neil

Neil,
I beleive Andy Sheldon @ Tornado does a custom bellhousing for Renault to Ford. Give that a try. If not Mark Sibley @ MDA has adaptor plates you can use.

I believe you can use a Tilton starter, or there is one that Real Steel have in their catalgue as well.

Brett

Brett,

I'm actually trying to find out what is 'likely' to be fitted to an existing KVA, rather than source a new adaptor plate... in order to price up some upgrades.

I'm thinking of buying a KVA as a 5 year stop gap!... my monocoque project is rapidly turning from a 5 year plan to a 10 year plan, and this darned forum keeps showing me pictures of cars that are just too pretty..... impatient I know, but hey what the hell!.... besides, I like the idea of owning 2 40's!!!!!!!!!!!

I'll do a visual inspection early next week, but was trying to shortcut some of the time..... Guess with a 40 thats a bloody optimistic thing to try! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Rgds

Neil

I think you will find that KVA never made adaptor plates and that most constructors used GTD/Tornado/Self constructed ones.
Graham.

Neil

I have a KVA, bought part built a couple of years ago. It had a 302 mated to an R30 gearbox, but my mate and I didn't like the way it was done. I believe the mating ring was manufactured by a company called Hi Tech Engineering. It was about 40mm thick and held the box too far away from the flywheel so we made quite a few mods to it including milling off 20mm of its thickness. Also had to modify the gearbox input shaft/flywheel bearing.
To the best of my knowledge, the flywheel, clutch and starter motor are original 302 engine parts.

Regards

Dave

Hi Simon
It would be interesting to see it anyway. Maybe it is similar to mine. My part built car was lying around doing nothing but gathering dust for 10 years as the original owner got fed up of it!!! He originally purchased two chassis/bodies from KVA in S Wales in 1990.

Regards
Dave

Back