Alex is more stoopid now =(

Guys,
whether or not you are using the inner door panel and if its upholstered or painted makes quite a difference as the amount of weight added to the door quickly requires the need for a higher poundage gas spring/shock...

The door is quite large so the extra weight has quite a mechanical advantage as leverage...

McMaster Carr part number 6465K93 Reducible Force Gas Shock, 270# force 12.8" extended length 3.94" stroke. It comes complete with ball ends
Bob D

This is courtesy of mesa and jack:
The longer struts were what Rob Mesa used through the door bottom. The McMaster Carr part number was 9416K33. Ball hardware part number 9512K94, and the ball sockets were part number 9416K79. i went back and checked. i used 25# to augment rcr's struts. now ive switched over to mesa's and i think the 50 or 75# would be a bit better.

If I recall - the 50 pounders work well with the stripped down door, if you have the inner door panels you may need the 75 pounder. Of course consider I have not finished my car and it does not yet have the leather in it yet, so (as Fran was saying) these weights might not be the final answer.

This solution is entirely separate and not used in unison with the hidden system Fran designed for the car.

Back