B.O. Supports Mosque near ground zero.

Posted by Al

Al, at the end of the war, the Japanese people were not in a position to make any kind of point with the western powers concerning what the liked or did't like. My guess is that many of them resented this symbol of western religion.

My question was aimed at your thoughts.

Do you find the building of western Churches amid the ruins of Heroshima a slap in the face toward the Japanese people?

Not if they were ok with it. Once again, I am somewhat invested in this because of the death of my friends. If I went to a memorial at the 9/11 site, lets's say 5 years from now, when it's complete. And as I was thinking about my friends, a call for prayer warbled out from the mosque 2 blocks away, I would be very disturbed and very, very pissed! Build it, but build it away from the site, it's not the only piece of property for sale in New York, WTF is the problem? If they can't see or relate to our feelings, they have some other agenda!

I recently
>applied for a building permit for a new house. It's going to be 100 ft tall and
>400 ft wide with 9 gun turrets at various heights and barred windows all over
>the place and a loud outside entertainment sound system. It will have parking
>for 200 cars and will be painted snot green with pink trim.
>
>The City Council told me to forget it... AIN'T GONNA HAPPEN!

So
>I sent in the application again, but this time I called it a Mosque.
>
>Work starts on Monday.

you know what even more worries me...

the Dutch government?? or some rats in the government paying 1 million dollar subsidies...they are crazy! I don't want them to do that...
but many infiltration also in Holland the holy land for all kind of people so also the people who wants to do bad things...its that bad.

read also this article about that money.

'Netherlands Subsidising Mosque by Ground Zero,'

Dutch government helping pay for Islamic supremacist mega-mosque at Ground Zero -- with Dutch taxpayer money - Jihad Watch

Keith

Al, there you go making up stuff again.

Hey Jim, on this subject (Mosque) a good friend of mine has invented a new type of linear landmine disguised as a prayer mat.. It's been so successful that prophets are going through the roof! :)

No time to read every reply but I do have to say this... everything Obama has said I agree with. In principal it is 100% spot on. What bugs me the most is that people expect the president to make a personal judgement call on this matter in the public eye. I do not believe that any leader should offer any opinion over a matter like this. To hold him to that, no matter what you think he should say is a bit naive to me.

Chris I don't disagree with this at all howver he invited it by stepping into the arena. He or his handlers should have been smart enough to stay away from the subject altogether.

Jim Craik

Lifetime Supporter
Tim,

I have to agree with you, although I firmly beleive they have every right to build this Mosque, I also feel it is a very bad idea. After seeing the reaction of the American people the builders should re-think their plans. I also agree that the President made a large mistake getting involved. It really is not his problem and he has nothing to gain and much to loose by getting involved.

Keith

Whatever the outcome and whatever the motive, it is way too late now. Damned if you do and damned if you don't.

If the original idea was an exercise in hubris, then unfortunately it has already succeeded.

Better it had been prevented before it began..

Pehaps our Muslim brothers would have been waiting 50 years before proposing a mosque this close to ground 0. I'll bet the plan would find little resistance.

Not if they were ok with it. Once again, I am somewhat invested in this because of the death of my friends. If I went to a memorial at the 9/11 site, lets's say 5 years from now, when it's complete. And as I was thinking about my friends, a call for prayer warbled out from the mosque 2 blocks away, I would be very disturbed and very, very pissed! Build it, but build it away from the site, it's not the only piece of property for sale in New York, WTF is the problem? If they can't see or relate to our feelings, they have some other agenda!

How far away do you think is okay? 25 blocks? 3 blocks? 500 miles? (I added the last one as a joke)

I am asking this question seriously since NYC blocks are quite large and very dense. 5 blocks there can feel like a different world.

Chris I don't disagree with this at all howver he invited it by stepping into the arena. He or his handlers should have been smart enough to stay away from the subject altogether.

The problem is he had stayed out of it for some time. But, both sides kept putting pressure on him. His response is absolutely the correct and best response he could have given - both US law and the principles this country was founded on are the only things he can address. To offer any other opinion would have been a no win situation - to oppose building the mosque, then he would have been accused of going against the Constitution and those very principles he already commented on, to support building the mosque, he would have been accused in the same manner he is now of not caring for the victims and their families.

Interesting analysis in the Washington Post:

washingtonpost.com

Ian

Domtoni this is a topic that regardless of the amount of time that has passed will never lose any of its "sting". Time may heal all wounds but it does not make people forget. This was something that will NEVER die in it's intensity. New Yorkers (and Americans as a whole) are a wiry bunch. Heck the N.Y. motto is the big apple the city that will kick your city's ass (I kid you not). It is a BIG mistake to think that New Yorkers will sit by and let this be built.

Look at it like this; How are they going to get the unions to work on this project? How are they going to get ANY New Yorkers to lift a finger to build it? They will have a field day getting all of the permits for this. Legally the thing can be built but will it :shrug: .

Unless they bring in an ALL MUSLIM work force there is NO WAY that this is going to happen. Even if they manage to get that work force together the political outcry from such a site (Muslim only work force) will wreak havoc in the city. You all must remember that New York is a VERY violent place and this could be the powder keg that we are all trying to avoid!!!

I was in Florida when it happened but I had friends that escaped in time and let me tell you there is no forgetting or diminishing of hatred toward those (muslim extremists)people. When I went back soon after I can say that it was really a site to see how openly Muslim people were treated. I have friends that wouldn't leave their house for fear of attack or some sort of abuse from the public (and this was in the 5 towns which is one of the more affluent areas). We can all sit here and ponder the what offs but the reality is that the people of the area feel strongly about this topic and if you think that there are influential people that walk below the radar that will allow this to be built THINK AGAIN. The feds know this and so does the the head imam.

If you think about it a reaction like this would be (and I hope it does not go down like that) exactly what the extremists want. In their eyes it will prove America's hatred for Muslims (which would be a gross perversion of the truth) and solidify their resolve. It very well may be this exact reaction that the admittedly radical imam is looking for and thus why he picked that site.

Last edited:
As far as the president is concerned he was correct in his statement but as an AMERICAN his words were deplorable. It's as if he has no heart at all. It has been said many times in this thread; just because a thing can be built DOESN'T mean that it should.

Doug S.

The protoplasm may be 72, but the spirit is 32!
Lifetime Supporter
The problem is he had stayed out of it for some time. But, both sides kept putting pressure on him. His response is absolutely the correct and best response he could have given - both US law and the principles this country was founded on are the only things he can address. To offer any other opinion would have been a no win situation
Ian

You are quite correct, Ian. IF Bee-OH were going to give the pundits any response, he had to give a response indicating he supported the values on which this country was founded, which he did. It didn't take long for the those who adhere to the conservative agenda to inject the implication that Bee-OH's response was a support for the Mosque, itself, rather than the right to build it there.

Don't believe that? Take a look at the way Pete titled this thread, then read the Yahoo news article he quoted in the original post......now, Pete, you know we all love you around here, it's not any sort of indictment other than to point out that you (who has admitted in past threads to subscribing to conservative values) did in fact, unintentionally I have no doubt, change the gist of the article, which was titled "Obama supports 'the right' for ground zero mosque" (my underlining), to indicate that Obama supported the mosque, itself. Quite a natural act if one has a conservative orientation and, as I said, probably done in a totally unintentional manner.

IMHO, though, Bee-OH needed not respond to the pointed questioning from the political pundits at all. He is the POTUS and ergo is without question going to defend the rights of those who want to commit this despicable (IMHO) act. It's easy to latch onto the assertions that Bee-OH is a supporter of Islam (I'm not disputing that) and for that to taint one's interpretation of what he really said. Should he have said anything at all? Not IMHO...any more than Bill Clinton should have answered questions related to private acts between two consenting adults. There are some questions that should not be asked (something the political pundits should learn) and when those questions are asked, they should not be answered. Bee-OH was wrong on only one count, IMHO, and that was in even answering the question to which the answer had to be obvious....he IS supportive of the rights of all citizens of the U.S.

Just my $.02 worth.....

Cheers from Doug

Back