Buying and owning a tank

Completely unrelated to GT40's here....

I'm purchasing some land in Eastern Washington - about 200 acres with a bit of nice slope, some good tree stands, one small lake, one large lake, and a nice year-round river.

One thing I've always wanted to own and drive is a tank.....and, if possible, fire the main gun. Doesn't have to be anything that special. An old Russian tank (T-72) or an old Sherman or perhaps a Leopard 1A5....all would be just great. I've seen these can be purchased in de-militarized form for a bit more than the cost of a really nice GT40 like my old CAV. Primary need is to be able to drive it fairly easily (relatively speaking....) and reliably. Not a strong need to fire the main gun given proximity of neighbors and legal limitations.

The place has an old 2-bedroom log cabin on it and a run down barn. The plan is to add onto the log cabin and also build a secure 30' X 60' shop. Big enough to house dirt bikes, a tractor, portable sawmill, pickup, and the tank. Somewhere family and friends can visit to get away from city life. This kind of place has been my dream since I was young. I survived cancer is 2020, I'm in my late 50's. It's time to make this happen.

Does anyone have any experience with private ownership and operation of a tank??? Appreciate any insights folks may have.

Thanks in advance.

Neil

Supporter
Completely unrelated to GT40's here....

I'm purchasing some land in Eastern Washington - about 200 acres with a bit of nice slope, some good tree stands, one small lake, one large lake, and a nice year-round river.

One thing I've always wanted to own and drive is a tank.....and, if possible, fire the main gun. Doesn't have to be anything that special. An old Russian tank (T-72) or an old Sherman or perhaps a Leopard 1A5....all would be just great. I've seen these can be purchased in de-militarized form for a bit more than the cost of a really nice GT40 like my old CAV. Primary need is to be able to drive it fairly easily (relatively speaking....) and reliably. Not a strong need to fire the main gun given proximity of neighbors and legal limitations.

The place has an old 2-bedroom log cabin on it and a run down barn. The plan is to add onto the log cabin and also build a secure 30' X 60' shop. Big enough to house dirt bikes, a tractor, portable sawmill, pickup, and the tank. Somewhere family and friends can visit to get away from city life. This kind of place has been my dream since I was young. I survived cancer is 2020, I'm in my late 50's. It's time to make this happen.

Does anyone have any experience with private ownership and operation of a tank??? Appreciate any insights folks may have.

Thanks in advance.
I think the Ukraine war has caused a tank shortage, particularly T-72s.:D

I had the opportunity to visit the Jacques Littlefield tank collection/museum that used to be in Portola, CA (near San Jose) back in mid-2000s. It appears from this newspaper article that the seven large building collection has been donated and moved: https://www.mercurynews.com/2013/11/10/silicon-valley-tank-collection-heading-east/

I raise this only to show that a private citizen can in fact acquire and keep old military equipment. I believe the guns need to have firing pins removed and/or the firing mechanisms disabled or at least that's how the docent described it during the tour. They even had a mobile SCUD missile launcher with a disabled missile still on it.

There were some very impressive things to see back when I took the tour. In the restoration shop was a WW2 era German Tiger tank that had been retrieved from the bottom of a river in Poland. They said is got there when the soldiers tried to drive it over the frozen river and it broke through the ice. Evidently, sitting underwater for many decades didn't ruin most parts on the V12 engine as they were able to reuse the pistons and other precision components when they rebuilt it.

This Ford 18L DOHC/32 valve V8 Sherman tank engine was also sitting on the floor in the restoration shop:
They didn't start it up for us, but it obviously was a running engine as some point given the video.

Prior to the museum tour, I always thought of tanks as being big hunks of low tech iron. Boy was my earlier impression wrong. Who knew DOHC V8 engines existed in the 1940s.

The Littlefield collection was part of a TV series called Tank Overhaul, very good show . A magazine that was out called Supply Line had various story's about military vehicles and also had a for sale section / wanted section.

If you live near Massachusetts, the American Heritage Museum offers the opportunity to drive an M4 Sherman or M24 Chaffee tank.

They also have cars and planes, but the collection on display is much smaller than it used to be to make room for the military collection they acquired a few years ago.

Try these links

And why not building one by your self ...... LOL ;)
Lot of fun with limited expences !!

Attachments

• bignan (7).JPG
    bignan (7).JPG
    545 KB · Views: 94
  • bignan (5).JPG
    bignan (5).JPG
    581.4 KB · Views: 85
  • bignan 2 (1).JPG
    bignan 2 (1).JPG
    491.4 KB · Views: 93

Bill Kearley

Supporter
If you find one and you need a little practice bring it to a town in Canada called Ottawa and look for a guy that goes by the name D.T.

Good luck with your search

Back