CANAMSA - SA stratch build

Congrats Fred. I think you just made all the professionals and amateurs alike look bad. That is some awesome work!

Hi

Haven't got much progress to report, at the moment I'm still busy with tiding the garage and a few other non project things.

We've also recently had a death in the family which threw up some issues that needed my attention and that took some time.

What I have done is got the body positioned over the mock up chassis, and test fitted the motor and transaxle. The build table is back on castors so I can move it around, and under the cable hoist when I need to lift the motor etc.

2hoist.jpg

jan%202014%20001.jpg

I'll make the cut-out at the distributor bigger when the final build is done.

jan%202014%20engine%20fit.jpg

jan%202014%20motor%20fit%2001.jpg

I'm pleased I will only need a small rebate in the tail to clear the rear of the transaxle, and that the cut-out will not interrupt the horizontal line across the lower part of the tail when seen from the rear. The position of this plain was a guess when I made the pattern but it seems it will work out well. I'll glass in a recessed closing panel over an enlarged cut-out when the final build is done.

jan%202014%20tail%20cut.jpg

jan%202014%20tail.jpg

Cheers

Fred W B

How are the body panels fastened to the chassis? Do you use special quick release fasteners? If so I would be interested in what those look like.

I would think it would be difficult to mount the body unless the chassis and suspension was fully weighted in order to get the body height correct?

Fred I noticed the Rover engine and thought I know someone in NZ who makes a very special 4 barrel manifold for those.
John Harcort engines in Christ Church
I had one on a boat motor, very nice bit of kit.
anyway mate it looks an absolute gem . i'm extremely envious
cheers John

Hi guys, thanks for the comments

Velo - I havent got the body fasteners etc figured out yet, they will be similar to what is done on other cars. As for the mounting, I am building from the outside in, first getting the wheels in the right place relative to the body and making the suspension and chassis to suit that. The only fixed item so far is the body, and I still have scope to changes the vertical height of the side pods slightly if need be.

John - the motor shown so far is a "build" motor, I have another race prepared motor to go in later. It came with an apparently trick Huffaker (spelling?) 4 barrel manifold, but I plan to (eventually) run 4 off 40 Dellortos' downdrafts I have. Thinking of trying to find a set of Buick 215 pressed tin cam covers to fit, just to make the motor look older and confuse the paddock pundits, but suspect they won't fit over the roller rockers

Cheers

Fred W B

100_4058.JPG

Last edited:
Hi Fred, A friend of mine has the Ex Tony Pond factory SD1 Rover Rally car from the UK it had a set of crossover sidedrafts on it. Now you could do that and with you skill make a set of scoops like the Bob Bondurant car had ( it also ran sidedrafts) That would really get the padock talking. Looking forward to the chassis progress. Cheers Leon.

I just noticed you're running the Rover V8. I'm putting a Buick 215 in my Lotus project (same basic engine). I wish I knew where to get a crossover manifold. I have a bunch of Delorto side draft type carbs in the garage. The 390 Holly which is the prefered 4bbl carb. Is hard to find & I think over priced when you do. A 600 seems to be too much carb for the motor. Looks like the car is comming along great. Seems you guys "down under" are having all the fun & doing great cool cars.

I forgot to mention Ofenhauser makes nice cast finned valve covers with their name in the top. I plan on getting a set & maybe a 4bbl man. too. I think with the name etc it'll give it a more "authentic" & vintage race look. Speedway racing has them in their cat.

I really like the looks of the quad Weber down drafts. But these days 4 webbers & the manifold. Would cost more than the whole rest of the engine LOL But it sure is tempting.:laugh::laugh:

I plan to do my quad downdrafts on the cheap by rebuilding second hand Dellorto 40s (ex Alfa 1.7 Alfa boxers) and mounting them on fabricated manifolds similar to this (not my picture)
a516106-carbs.jpg

Sure seems like a sbc with a cross over manifold would be less expensive and time consuming in the long haul. Parts availability and selection is endless with the SBC.

If I had some down drafts that's what I'd do too. But I have several side draft delortos & webers. Maybe I can find somebody to swap with LOL Just bought a pair of Ofenhauser valve covers. What transaxle are you useing? Love your build I think it'll be a great car. The Rover/buick is a good light engine. Maybe not as mega horsepower as a SBC but for the weight of these cars more than enough I'm sure. They ran the Tryaco Olds (Olds version of the same engine) in the early Can-Am serries.

If I had some down drafts that's what I'd do too. But I have several side draft delortos & webers. Maybe I can find somebody to swap with LOL Just bought a pair of Ofenhauser valve covers. What transaxle are you useing? Love your build I think it'll be a great car. The Rover/buick is a good light engine. Maybe not as mega horsepower as a SBC but for the weight of these cars more than enough I'm sure. They ran the Tryaco Olds (Olds version of the same engine) in the early Can-Am serries.

displacement always wins in the end:thumbsup:

Back