Carbon Fiber engine block...is this the future?

Doug S.

The protoplasm may be 72, but the spirit is 32!
Lifetime Supporter
I was watching Motor Week this morning on PBS and the Ford F-350 Super Duty pickup was featured. It was mentioned VERY QUICKLY that the new diesel engine has a carbon fiber (?) engine block.

Does anyone know anything about this? Obviously, it would require sleeving, but IMHO the use of CF would really make a huge difference in weight and offer the same strength, perhaps greater.

How about flex, though?

Any ideas if this is a possibility, guys, or did I dream it?

Cheers from Doug!!

Doug S.

The protoplasm may be 72, but the spirit is 32!
Lifetime Supporter
Yep. Polimotor=plastic block with cylinders, heads, valves, manifolds, springs, etc made of metal. Not GRP, not CF.

Still, what I found via the google search was that the 1.something litre 4 cylinder was light enough to be picked up by one man and would spin to 10,000 RPM.

What could be wrong about bringing that technology to the V-8 format....perhaps a new Coyote engine?

Cheers from Doug!!

I don't see anything about it in google search , but I can't seem to find anything I'm looking for when I search . Kind of like working in my garage !
I believe it to be graphite iron which is stronger than regular cast iron .
I do have a friend who was a machinist at NASA Langley , and has told me about the big block Chevy with CF block , and rods , ringless ceramic pistons and sleeves . Worked well until you get a little spark knock , then it went to small pieces .
When I was a GM tech , at on of the schools , they had a "poly" study engine .
With lot of cool things , like no cam - solenoids instead to activate the valves , no distributor - DIS instead , and fuel injection , these three things together meant it didn't need a starter . seemed to be instantly running when you pushed the starter button . It was said to be lighter than the stand it was on , and to be mounted with velcro , and slated to show up in the mid-engine Vette that was to be rolled out in the 90s . I must have missed it !

Ian Anderson

Lifetime Supporter
I do know back in 1985 - 1986 Mazda made a ceramic engine.

I do not have the full specification now (and don't have access to their in house technical stuff any more) but the thing I found most interesting ws they were running it as a test mule on a dyno without any cooling - other than the oil. It got hotter until it radiated heat like an aircooled bike engine but did not even hav the cooling fins.

It eas about the same time that they were develiping the ceramic tips for rotary engines for the LM race cars

Ian

Back