CAV GT Outer Stub Shaft

I'm looking for some help in identifying the manufacturer and P/N for a replacement stub shaft which I managed to cleanly twist off during some spirited driving (the half shaft, inner and outer CV joints all appear to be in fine shape so I'm hoping to just replace the splined stub shaft and wheel bearing).

The transaxle is an Audi 01E and the stub shaft is a 26-spline ala Audi 5000. The outer CV joint has "GKN 15 GERMANY 31N07LBO C153150184027" stamped in it. I've looked searched the posting on this site, have been Googling for days and pored over the GKN catalogs available online but I can't find a match.

I would greatly appreciate any advice or guidance anyone would care to offer.

Regards,
Jack

Attachments

• DSCN0199 - Copy.jpg
    DSCN0199 - Copy.jpg
    59 KB · Views: 612
  • DSCN0197 - Copy.jpg
    DSCN0197 - Copy.jpg
    44.9 KB · Views: 573
Hi Jack I'd put in a call to Fran Hall at RCR as I think these are all using the same parts. He may be able to tell you if he has ones that will fit or steer you to who does have them. Wally

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
Jack with the shiny steel I'm looking at there, I am seriously wondering if those stub axles have been hardened!

I know that RCR's are...

Glad you are okay!

I happened to disassemble mine yesterday.

Everything looks like new. Also went out pretty easy.

RCR spline is same as on C4 corvettes.

TOM

I dont know what the CAV spines are but Tom is correct...we use a standard USA C4 Vette spline .
We make our own stub axles from 4140 and we roll form the splines instead of broaching for added strength,

We then heat treat them and we now CAD plate them too.

flatchat(Chris)

Supporter
The C4 corvette hubs are popular here too
The spline is ~1" OD and 27 teeth --the thread is 15/16" UNF

Jack -- looks like some other issue has caused it to break --like the nut, being either too tight or too loose

Attachments

• Corvette C4 hub and CV drive spindle.jpg
    Corvette C4 hub and CV drive spindle.jpg
    55.9 KB · Views: 783
Chris,

Thanks for the feedback. You could be right about the nut being overly tight; I doubt overly loose as I check for slop quite often.

I didn't note it in my original post but the wheel bearing is toast. I haven't removed it yet so I don't know if the bearing failure caused the stub axle to fail, the stub axle failed and caused the bearing failure or something else precipitated the failure of both.

I tend to think the stub axle failed first since I've never heard/felt any bearing issues and the stub axle wasn't clanging around even after it failed (when I was driving the sensation was like it just popped out of gear).

Jack

Jack, I'm being an idiot I think here, but are you talking about the output shaft (stub axle) of your audi transaxle? Or, do you mean there's a separate stub axle attached to the outboard end of your CV axle which has failed?

On my CAV (pre-100 with 016) the outboard CV has a splined axle (to engage the drive for the rear wheels....) but it is one-piece cast as part of the outboard half of the outboard CV itself. In other words, it's not a separate stub axle bolted to the outboard CV, it's part of the outboard CV itself.

If, instead, you're referring to the output shaft (stub axle) for the transaxle itself, I have some of those laying around and can send one along to you. Shoot me a pm with your address.

Those outboard axle nuts go to something impressive like 400-500 ft/lbs....here's what I have to use to get them on/off my car

Attachments

• impact wrench SA681_V2-500x500.jpg
    impact wrench SA681_V2-500x500.jpg
    75.6 KB · Views: 347
Last edited:
400 - 500 ft/lbs Whaaat! ? 118 ft/lbs is all thats needed for the wheel drive stub nut

Hhhmmm...maybe you're right...? I know somebody in the know about CAVs (Jean or John in SA??) indicated that was the right torque setting for this particular nut.

Perhaps Johann would know? He's a pretty smart guy.

Hi Wally,

No I've gotten everything torn apart but haven't found the time to put it back together yet or obtain the stub axles. I just queried CAV-america on the price/delivery for factory units and am awaiting a response.

Jack

Back