CAV Steering Won't Center

Pat

Supporter
CAV Steering Won\'t Center

As I've mentioned on other posts, I'm in the elusive search for a good replica '40. I am considering a newer model CAV(circa 2002)that has a steering problem in that the steering wouldn't center return after a corner. The rack seemed to operate smoothly so I wonder if there may be an alignment problem or a core problem where the suspension mounts may not be aligned.
Has anyone had any similar experience? I obvioulsy don't want to acquire a nighmare.

V/R, /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif
Veek

Re: CAV Steering Won\'t Center

Wow sounds dangerous.
I would first check to make sure nothing was loose,, like the rack itself. If not, sounds like some major wear or maybe some previous crash damage , like maybe pranging a curb too hard maybe hurt something. Just my guess , I just aquired a RF to build. Good luck

I would guess the front end needs more caster. Try 4.5 or so degrees caster. Set about 1/8" - 1/4" toe in. Camber about 1 deg negative.

May be that the rack, bushings or some other part has been tightened down too tight, or like Gary said, the alignment is off.
Tom

Sorry I reread your post. Could you explain what you mean by won't return back to center? Do you mean it will not return to center on its own, or you can not turn it back to center (it is binding, etc.).

Ron Earp

Admin

Check the rack and alignment. Also, what color is it? There was one that was posted on here in 2002 that was wrecked and I want to say it was in FL. If it doesn't add up pick another - there are many (relatively speaking) CAVs for sale and you don't need to jump on one.

Pat

Supporter

Thanks to all and my apologies for being vague.
The steering issue I describe is that after turning into the corner, the wheel does not return on its own.
The CAV in Florida is blue with a SER# of 66 and any data on accident history would be appreciated so I don't make a silly mistake.

V/R
Veek

If this is the case I stand by my "guess" that it needs an alignment. More specifically more camber.

Ron Earp

Admin

The one that was wrecked was not blue. I want to say it was silver but someone else would have to verify, but I know it was not blue.

I don't know if the early CAV was put together the same as the GTD, but if it is check the stand off that mounts the bottom of the steering column to the side of the chassis. GTD used a a little bracket with a plastic bushing. If the bushing is tight on the shaft it will have that symptom. You just open up the bushing a little so that it turns freely and you won't have the problem.

Ron Earp

Admin

Far as I know they are almost identical to GTD, at least in looking at them. Even the later mono cars still seems to use the same bits for suspension etc.

Pat

Supporter

Thanks Ron,
What is the source for the CAV steering rack? Perhaps I could find a shop manual for one.

Again thanks,
Veek

Howard Jones

Supporter

READ BUDS POST AGAIN. My GTD has the same stearing shaft mount and it got REAL tight sitting around in the garage durning the last few months. When I took it out for a spin I had to come back home a spray a little dry lub on it. Just that made a huge difference.

Wouldn't you notice just by turning the wheel in the garage. Mine for example turns quite easily sitting still on a smooth garage floor. Seems like if there were binding it would be hard to steer into the turn and out of the turn.

[ QUOTE ]
The one that was wrecked was not blue. I want to say it was silver but someone else would have to verify, but I know it was not blue.

[/ QUOTE ]

Could it have been painted a different color after the accident?

Howard Jones

Supporter

Lubing the stearing mount is so easy to do I would do it anyway. Jack up the front and get the front wheels off the ground check out steering for free movement. Then put the car up on alinement machine and get a read out. This should tell you a lot. Caster should be at least 4 degrees and both sides should be the same. If you post the results of a full alinement readout I bet you get some good advice here on the forum. Even if you have to pay for it, 30 bucks or so, it would be worth it to know whats going on.

These things are what I would do with my car. If the current owner doesn't want to fix what is a bad steering problem before you start talking about buying the car then I would move on. It could be a bent up chassis and you will not want to deal with that. Also I think your insurance man can check out DMV records for accident history?

Back