Charleston

Pete McCluskey.

Lifetime Supporter
I have been trying to find definitive facts about the use of guns in crime, armed hold ups etc since guns were banned in Oz. But the stats I can find mention gun deaths only and dont differentiate gun suicide. Which used to be the favourite way to commit suicide before guns were banned. So my gut feel is gun deaths have dropped, mainly because suicide by gun has dropped, although homicide by gun has also dropped to a lesser degree.
On the other hand I am sure that armed robberies using a gun have increased as have home invasions and burglaries. Because the bad guys know it is unlikely the home owner will shoot them. I will continue my search, but can't be bothered to go to the FOI stage.

Keith

I have been trying to find definitive facts about the use of guns in crime, armed hold ups etc since guns were banned in Oz. But the stats I can find mention gun deaths only and dont differentiate gun suicide. Which used to be the favourite way to commit suicide before guns were banned. So my gut feel is gun deaths have dropped, mainly because suicide by gun has dropped, although homicide by gun has also dropped to a lesser degree.
On the other hand I am sure that armed robberies using a gun have increased as have home invasions and burglaries. Because the bad guys know it is unlikely the home owner will shoot them. I will continue my search, but can't be bothered to go to the FOI stage.

We'll be needing a graph Pete....:shifty:

Back