Chuck and Ryan's Carbon Cub Build Blog

Chuck

Supporter
Wings hung

Wednesday, with help of a couple seasoned citizens, we hung the wings. Once we got started it took all of twenty minutes to get the ‘bullets’ in place.

Saturday, with the help of a couple of flying friends, we aligned the wings and placed the bolts.

Without any adjustment, only the ‘pre set’ per the manual, the dihedral was spot on. The distance from the alignment string to the spar was within 1/32” of 3” on both sides. I am constantly amazed at the precision with which this kit is manufactured.

The washout required two turns of the aft strut on both sides to bring both within a tenth of a degree of perfect.

A job that I had been anticipating with some degree of apprehension went well. We are on the final stretch.

Attachments

• IMG_7753small.jpg
    IMG_7753small.jpg
    169.5 KB · Views: 394

Chuck

Supporter
Thanks guys

DAR inspection scheduled June 27, so have lots of details to get wrapped up in short time.

Chuck

Supporter
Officially Airworthy

Put in eleven hours on the Cub July 4. As fireworks were going off late that night I texted the DAR and told him I was getting close to done. Tuesday July 5 at 0700 I read an E Mail saying he would be there that afternoon to inspect. It was a crazy morning.

Long story short: all is well and 3737R now has an airworthiness certificate.

So it is about time to get started on the Jag D Type. . . .

Attachments

• DSC_0959.jpg
    DSC_0959.jpg
    141.1 KB · Views: 349
  • DSC_0963.jpg
    DSC_0963.jpg
    154.6 KB · Views: 324

Chuck

Supporter
Mike

First flight last week of July. Insurance requires five hours in a Carbon Cub with a CFI before it will cover me and that's the earliest we could arrange it.

Chuck

Supporter
100 Gallons

That is how much fuel we consumed this past weekend flying the Cub for its first flights.

Amazing plane. Comparing our Cessena 172 to the Cub is a bit like comparing a minivan to a Jag D Type. Climbed out at 2000 feet per minute. When trimmed, tracked perfectly straight hands off controls. Docile stall characteristics. The glass panel provides a wealth of information. Flying low speed with windows open is a cool experience, even on a hot day. Looking forward to getting some more hours in the coming weeks.

Ryan came home from Detroit to participate in the initial flights.

Speaking of Jag D Type . . . .

Attachments

• DSC_0984.jpg
    DSC_0984.jpg
    154.8 KB · Views: 320
  • IMG_8517.jpg
    IMG_8517.jpg
    140 KB · Views: 289
  • PanelEGT.jpg
    PanelEGT.jpg
    79.6 KB · Views: 310
Back