Chuck and Ryan's RCR Build

Chuck

Supporter
Mark and Rob:

Excellent suggestion. Had not thought about the wind, although the 50 knot winds that blew through the neighborhood Sunday should have triggered the notion. Rob, looked at your build blog and that looks like an excellent idea. For now that will likely be on the "B" list, but I will definitely come up with a prop rod as in interim measure. Thanks for the tip.

Chuck

Keith

Lifetime Supporter
Chuck,
I can't imagiine what you and Ryan must be feeling now that you are so close to the end. Looks great!
Keith

Chuck and Ryan,

you are bothe doing the hell of a job. everything is so nice and tidy. I love your pragmatic approach, making things looking so easy. Unfortunately i cant see the car at R&G because my schedule is to tight to come over. I´m shure you will draw a lot off attention there.

enjoy the drive

TOM

Chuck

Supporter
Build Status, Friday, Sept 19.

Attachments

• Progress091908.JPG
    Progress091908.JPG
    137.8 KB · Views: 1,061

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
She's gorgeous guys! Can hardly wait to see pics out in the sun!!!

Registration process coming soon I'm sure!

Keith

Lifetime Supporter
As my Father would say "She's a Beaut!"
It looks STUNNING, You hnd Ryan should be very proud.
Keith

Chuck

Supporter
Randy:

Registration is another issue. I had hoped to register the GT before Run and Gun, but it won't happen. I have been in contact with the Secretary of State's office in Springfield and they are changing the procedure. No longer is there a designated NSRA person to do the nspections. Apparently the designated person was over worked and uncompensated. Instead one will submit an application, receive a temporary permit, then go to a NSRA convention within 90 days for the inspection. The inspection will then be submitted and plates issued. The vehicle requirements should remain the same as before. Obviously some traveling will be required. Whether the State Police will be involved is unclear. The new proeedures are still in a bit of flux, so we will not be able to get it registered before Run and Gun. The new information "packets" which the State will be sending out are not yet available, but should be soon.

So for now our rides will be very short.

By the way, the foregoing is just for the State of Illinois.

Ron McCall

Supporter
Absolutely INCREDIBLE!!!!! That is EXACTLY what I thought my car was going to look like until I saw a picture of 1002 and changed plans.
Great job!!!

Chuck

Supporter
Thanks for the comments! Did some minor detailes today. About the only significant thing remaining is the windshield and the wiper. When the weather breaks will roll it out and get some decent pics.

Chuck

Supporter
Windshield Washer

Ryan’s comment: “you got to be kidding.” Most that read this post will likely agree with Ryan. But the originals were so equipped, so why not? The Lucas unit we used came from Finish Line and looks like the original. Lucas makes a momentary contact toggle switch for thus function, which we located next to the wiper switch. The two nozzles were located on either side of the wiper. This washer puts out an impressive spray, almost enough to wash the entire car.

Check it out: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I5tPeUwTh1w

Attachments

• WindshieldWasherB.JPG
    WindshieldWasherB.JPG
    179 KB · Views: 857
  • WindshieldWasherD.JPG
    WindshieldWasherD.JPG
    156.9 KB · Views: 755

Chuck

Supporter
Seatbelts

Willans 2” “Club 4 x 4” seatbelts were selected, part number 2C44B. We obtained them from Bethania Garage, Inc., [email protected] . They are made in England. The quality is impressive. The 2” size works well in this car, where space is tight.

The GT-40 has the anchor points already in place. The belts come with the appropriate eye bolt. Both lap and shoulder belts fasten to the same eye bolt, although we added a couple of marine shackles about an inch and a half long on each side for each belt since it was a bit too tight getting both belts on a single eye bolt and keeping everything straight. The shackle also extend the lap belt out an inch making it a bit easier to reach the adjusting cleat. Although the shackles look small, they are made from stainless and are rated well over a thousand pounds, designed for holding up sail boat rigging, so their strength should be more than sufficient.

One inch square aluminum spacer tubes on the fire wall keep the seat back away from the fire wall by that distance. This is needed so one does not thump his head on the roll bar. The spacer tubes are secured with two quarter inch button head screws. This creates about an eighth inch gap through which the shoulder harness can pass without resistance.

The seat belts were run inside rather than outside the seat backs. On the passenger side there is just no room – the seat is too tight within the body. Adjusting the seat belts needs to be done before getting in, after which one can tighten them up.

Attachments

• SeatbeltA.JPG
    SeatbeltA.JPG
    133.7 KB · Views: 598
  • SeatbeltsC.JPG
    SeatbeltsC.JPG
    131.9 KB · Views: 657
  • Seats1.JPG
    Seats1.JPG
    183.6 KB · Views: 762
  • SeatbeltsB.JPG
    SeatbeltsB.JPG