Collector car insurance - any good suggestions?

Unfortunately, I've not had very good experience over recent years with a number of the usual suspects here:

1. Grundy. This past year they doubled the premium from the prior year ($850/yr. from $400/yr. previously) and auto-renewed the policy when I previously told them not to renew it. I had to get insurance commissioners and attorney generals involved to get it resolved.

2. Hagerty. Used them in prior years and the experience was OK, but the premium was 30-40% more than others.

3. American Classic. Used them in prior years and the experience was mediocre, premium somewhat higher than others.

My regular auto insurer (USAA) doesn't want to insure collector vehicles.

Anyone have any suggestions/feedback, or particularly good experience with any one insurance company?

Chris Kouba

Supporter
I would recommend checking in with a Progressive agent. They do our camper truck and boat and have been reasonable. I ended up calling a few agents before someone really worked with me on it, but they got me coverage when no one else would touch a 20 year old vehicle/vessel.

Still may be a swing and a miss but they've been the most likely of the mainstream companies to come close.

Julian

Lifetime Supporter
I switched to what was the Barrett Jackson endorsed insurance through TDC Risk management 12 years ago, they were later acquired by AIG Private Client Group. Fortunately I haven't had to file a claim, but they have been very competitive for multiple vehicles.

I'm also with American Modern. I have never had a claim so my experience is limited but rates and responsiveness have been very good.

Johnny M

Supporter
Unfortunately, I've not had very good experience over recent years with a number of the usual suspects here:

1. Grundy. This past year they doubled the premium from the prior year ($850/yr. from $400/yr. previously) and auto-renewed the policy when I previously told them not to renew it. I had to get insurance commissioners and attorney generals involved to get it resolved.

2. Hagerty. Used them in prior years and the experience was OK, but the premium was 30-40% more than others.

3. American Classic. Used them in prior years and the experience was mediocre, premium somewhat higher than others.

My regular auto insurer (USAA) doesn't want to insure collector vehicles.

Anyone have any suggestions/feedback, or particularly good experience with any one insurance company?
I have been with American Modern for 3 yeas now and no complaints. Thankfully, though, I have had no claims

That's funny because I just got my renewal notice from Grundy and it only went up 5 bucks from last year !!! Considering how much everything else in the world has quadrupled that's very reasonable !!!!

My experience with auto insurance is that it's all easy until you have to file a claim and get them to pay.

I'll start with a bad experience. My son was driving my wife's minivan, was stopped at a red light and was hit in the rear busting up a tail light and turn signal along with minor fender/bumper damage. It's a situation where fault is very clear and it lies completely with the other driver. Their insurance provider was Progressive. Progressive did everything they could to delay, stall, and generally drag out the process. It was over 2 years after the incident that we finally were reimbursed for rental car charges and then reimbursement was at about 25% of the actual expense. I won't go into all the details but I swore that I would never use Progressive because or their really bad repair practices and very poor customer service. So buyer beware when you might get enticed by a lower rate from a company like Progressive, even for a normal type car.

So an example of a not so bad experience dealing with a collector/specialty car. I was driving my Ferrari 250 GTO replica on a 2 lane country road and had a person in a brand new Chevy Suburban do a U turn right in front of me. My car was insured by Hagerty on an agreed value policy. While the repairs have taken way too long, Hagerty has been very good and timely in providing money for the repairs. The repair shop had to file a supplement more than a year after the accident as the repair cost exceeded the original estimate. Hagerty processed the supplement quickly and sent me a check for the additional repair costs. I'm not happy with the slowness of the repairs but that has nothing to do with Hagerty as it was my choice on the repair shop. So while the cost of the specialty insurance is not cheap, I can say that Hagerty has been good in this case when it came time to pay for a loss even when there was a dispute as to fault. Hagerty has been reasonable all along the way.

Thank you gents. Interesting experiences.

I have USAA for regular car insurance and it’s fantastic - been with USAA for 25+ years and it’s great.

I’m really just wondering about folks experience with collector car insurance. Grundy doubling the premium and renewing despite me sending written notice not to renew is horrible practice. Had AmericanModern for some years and it was OK. Haven’t tried Hagerty but perhaps that’s next. Hagerty has usually quoted about 30% more expensive than others when looking in the past. But maybe that’s the price to pay for good and honest service?

Still looking….

Back