Current State of GT40 Market

Deck, During a recent conversation with someone in the GT40 business we spoke of the current state of the GT40 market and one of the things we both noted is there are some spectacular deals to be had. Sadly there are a few around being offered for sale at cut rate prices. One mans loss is anothers gain...blah blah blah. But, something else that came up during our conversation was a few people have bought these cars thinking they were going to drive a certain way or be more "modern" for lack of a better term and come to find out they are too hot, too noisy, too tight in the cockpit, too lacking in creature comforts and too difficult to own. I guess what I'm trying to say is before you buy...drive one for as many miles as you can and then decide. I'm 5'8" and the car fits me like a glove and I'm so in love with the car I overlook the other issues. Its been an up and down relationship with me and my 40 but I'm awe struck by her when things are right and she makes me feel like a lotto winner when I'm behind the wheel on a crisp cool winter morning and the speedo reads in the triple digits. Continued Good Luck.

Jimmy,

Thanks for the heads up. I'm not expecting the comfort level to be near what the 2005 GT is, which I have some seat time. I'm sure it will be more refined than my knuckle-dragging, neanderthal ride that is my Track-T. It is 1790 lbs, 5 speed TKO 600, and the only concession to creature comforts is the Jag IRS. No doors, heater, horn, turn signals, but I do in fact drive over 1000 miles to show up at T-only events with this ride. A GT 40 would be considered "refined" by comparison.

DSC013201014x760.jpg

Thanks Roy,

I looking for a nice enclosed, with heat and AC, and at least some driver protection, great car like a GT 40 for all the dry days that are colder than 55* or hotter than 90*. I'm keeping the Track-T, it has been on the road for 17 years and a blast to drive.

Thanks Rich,

For those dry days that are colder than 55* or hotter than 90*, I'm looking forward to a nice enclosed GT 40 with AC/heat, and for track days a car that offers some protection for the driver.

I had mentioned these prices when I made an offer on a Texas based GT 40. Due to both the economy and replicas have to compete with future manufactured collectibles, such as a manual shift 2009~2011 Caddy CTS-V. I thought this car would depriciate for 5 years before turning around. First time in 40 years of following car values can I remember a turn around in about 2 1/2 years. New $63K, 2 years old $42K, 2 1/2 years old $47K as per KBB. You have to really like what a GT 40 is about, to pass on buying a brand new CTS-V that 20 years down the road will have appreciated at a much greater rate than a GT 40 replica. In the California Gold Country, home values have dropped so much, that buying a home to use as a rental is also competing for my GT 40 rep dollars. I did make an offer so close to my max, that in 4 months (and after summer), if still available, I might make an offer 10% higher. Yes, I am one of those folks that will buy a non-investment car because I really like the GT 40 and its history during the late 60's when I was a total car nut. If I had the money, I'd buy a original that would be an excellent investment but I'd be scared to drive it around other drivers on the road. Not to mention, a properly built replica with EFI and 50% more power would be a better performer.

Deckofficer -

Not everything is about money.

Pat,

I know that, but when you retire at 55 you do have to plan a bit more when banks throw you the curve ball of dropping the interest paid to you from 4.5% to 1%. That is the main reason I've been buying cars these last 3 years. I have a good friend named Dick Collier that lives in Rescue, last I saw of him he had (2) Sunbeam Tigers and a GT 350. Do you know Dick?

Jim Rosenthal

Supporter
the T-bucket has some creature comforts that GT40s don't have, believe it or not...GT40s are great cars, but they are RACE cars and feel every bit of it, so don't plan on idling through a lot of traffic. She won't be happy. I speak from experience.

the T-bucket has some creature comforts that GT40s don't have, believe it or not...GT40s are great cars, but they are RACE cars and feel every bit of it, so don't plan on idling through a lot of traffic. She won't be happy. I speak from experience.

Unless you have an engine built to the specs that Dean Lampe put together. Since I don't have a desire to make it period correct, I can do away with the 48IDAs in favor of EFI, and to really rock the boat, a positive displacement blower would be nice, good off-idle AND top end with a fat mid-range. Kind of sounds like me, fat mid-range.

such as a manual shift 2009~2011 Caddy CTS-V. I thought this car would depriciate for 5 years before turning around. First time in 40 years of following car values can I remember a turn around in about 2 1/2 years. New $63K, 2 years old $42K, 2 1/2 years old $47K as per KBB.

I just checked KBB.com - a 2010 CTS-V 6 spd is still about $4K more than a 2009 in excellent condition. Just an FYI.

Ian

I just checked KBB.com - a 2010 CTS-V 6 spd is still about $4K more than a 2009 in excellent condition. Just an FYI.

Ian

For as many years as Caddy will offer a 556 hp, manual shift CTS-V, I'm sure each will turn around in less than 3 years and start climbing in value. Does anyone know if somone has used a positive displacement blower on their GT 40?

Bob,
From what I have seen packaging would be the issue. The pullies for the blower are going to cause a problem wth the firewall. (ie. some pretty big lumps) Anything is possible, and I was thinking about it as well. For the cost/headache a few more cubes is a better way to go....

C Scott, you have been helpful in the past. I didn't mean some blower refuge from a 2 stroke Detroit Diesel like my fellow T folks are into, rather the small, efficient blower used on the 2005~06 Ford GT. Lower height, smaller belt, doesn't heat the charge air near as much.

Bob,
I understand where you are coming from. But in my car and a few others I have seen with small block fords, the clearance in front of the motor is in mm. To get the transmission/axle angles as good as possible the motors are pretty tight in the front. It might be possible if you were running no mech.waterpump(electric instead elsewhere), and could set it up to run off the inner crank pulley........ (I don't have room to run an extra pulley/groove) I have been thinking and looking around a little, but I think I will do the stroker instead. Scott

Last edited:

Seymour Snerd

Lifetime Supporter
I looking for a nice enclosed, with heat and AC, and at least some driver protection, great car like a GT 40....

Bob --

Any news on your search? Learned anything about the market?

Superformance tells me they can sell all the GT40s they can build, and that even when they order an extra one it gets sold while it's on the boat. They have exactly two used ones (one of which is Lance's demo) in stock. And that's it.

Back