Current State of GT40 Market

C Scott, you have been helpful in the past. I didn't mean some blower refuge from a 2 stroke Detroit Diesel like my fellow T folks are into, rather the small, efficient blower used on the 2005~06 Ford GT. Lower height, smaller belt, doesn't heat the charge air near as much.

How about a turbo...or twin turbo ?
I know it's been done on GT40's...probably easier to package than a blower.
Sorry to go off thread.

Bob,
I understand where you are coming from. But in my car and a few others I have seen with small block fords, the clearance in front of the motor is in mm. To get the transmission/axle angles as good as possible the motors are pretty tight in the front. It might be possible if you were running no mech.waterpump(electric instead elsewhere), and could set it up to run off the inner crank pulley........ (I don't have room to run an extra pulley/groove) I have been thinking and looking around a little, but I think I will do the stroker instead. Scott

C. Scott,

Small, positive displacement blowers have me spoiled. Over the years I've had so many engines built for peak hp, sacraficing torque, and 2 for torque down low. Driving on the street and for fuel mileage, the torque motors are really sweet, but will get spanked for all out performance. The blown engines give the great torque down low in the rpm band AND has an exciting top end. I driven 5 or 6 blown (F150 Lightning, 2003 Mustang SVT, 2009 GT 500, 2006 GT, and owned a '55 Ford blown 427 side oiler), and for me, a much better overall driving experiance than any of my NA engines. I couldn't help but notice that Roaring Forties is using the Mod 5.4 GT blown aluminum block in an engine upgrade option. Clean, powerful, and efficient, not a bad way to go.

How about a turbo...or twin turbo ?
I know it's been done on GT40's...probably easier to package than a blower.
Sorry to go off thread.

I've had a number of turbo cars, and due to the compressor being a centrifugal pump, boost is rpm dependant, thus no off-idle boost that you get with a P-D air pump.

But, turbos are great for other reasons, 1st being since boost is more gradual, the peak boost can be higher with the same engine internals, save money on the engine build. What drives the turbine side is the expanding gases of what would be wasted heat energy. I am a big fan of efficiencies like this, so, to answer your question via the long way, yes I would go twin intercooled turbos with EFI and electronic engine and spark management.
This one is good for around 1200 hp at the crank, too bad the frame has been tweaked.

82710028.jpg

Bob --

Any news on your search? Learned anything about the market?

Superformance tells me they can sell all the GT40s they can build, and that even when they order an extra one it gets sold while it's on the boat. They have exactly two used ones (one of which is Lance's demo) in stock. And that's it.

Alan,

Learning a lot about the current market. While prices are soft like the rest of the market, the European buyers are keeping us domestic buyers "honest". I don't lo-ball, but only want to pay what the market dictates, and since an acceptable domestic bid is a total bargain overseas, the added shipping charges are easily absorbed. I'm sure this applies to any collectable starting in the GT 40 range and going up. A Cobra replica at a lower price range doesn't attract the oversea's market and some great buys are out there, but I sure don't need another open roadster.

Bob, the GT40 market is so small that you ARE the market, so don't be afraid to put in an "aggressive" offer. Any offer on a GT40 (particularly in this market) is, frankly, a compliment - it says "I like what you have and I'm willing to pay a bunch of money for it" - so don't be shy. If the seller doesn't like the offer they don't have to accept it, or they can counter on it and you've got at least a chance of closing a deal on a car. If you don't make any offers then you're not any closer to getting a decent GT40.

The seller of my CAV GT40 was asking $72,500 for the car. I bought it for $50K. And that was back in the boom times of '06. That wasn't below market, that wasn't above market, that WAS the market.

Good luck!

Cliff,

I have followed a number of your posts, like the way you think. Presently I have one offer out there, ironically a offer of $50K on an asking of $68K on what I think is a great car down in Texas. There are two things vying for my GT 40 dollars, one is to buy a rental property, and two, a Caddy CTS-V of 2009 birth has already turned around for the last 2 quarters on KBB and has climbed $4K in value. I knew this car was going to be a future "collectable" but I thought I had more time than just 30 months from new. I have never seen this in 40 years.

The market for GT40's of all kinds will surely plunge into a terrible state once the U.S. government passes the tax increase on private jets . . . :)

Bassanio et Portia

Rick Muck- Mark IV

GT40s Sponsor
Supporter
The market for GT40's of all kinds will surely plunge into a terrible state once the U.S. government passes the tax increase on private jets . . . :)

Bassanio et Portia

Why increasing the write-off period for corprate jets by two years will eliminate the national debt! Look out, a "GT40" tax may be next!

I wonder are SAM 26000 and SAM 27000 "fully depreciated" yet?

Last edited:
Cliff,

I have followed a number of your posts, like the way you think. Presently I have one offer out there, ironically a offer of $50K on an asking of $68K on what I think is a great car down in Texas. There are two things vying for my GT 40 dollars, one is to buy a rental property, and two, a Caddy CTS-V of 2009 birth has already turned around for the last 2 quarters on KBB and has climbed $4K in value. I knew this car was going to be a future "collectable" but I thought I had more time than just 30 months from new. I have never seen this in 40 years.

Funny you should mention these options. I bought my SPF GT back in 06. I absolutely love the car BUT I do toy with the idea of selling it. The proceeds could be the 20% down on another two rentals and I'm of the belief that home values aren't gonna go too much lower. C'mon, you can't really go wrong with real estate.

As far as the 09 CTS-V's. Be patient. I'm in the market as well. Bank residual figures on 3 year lease returns suggest they will be pretty reasonable in 2012.

Keith

Niice (the blue one) good price too.

Is that the one they call "Logan's Run(ner)" Andy?

:drunk:

Presumably the white one is an SPF by another name? Interesting precis of the actual history of GT40's in the description. :laugh:

Presumably the white one is an SPF by another name? Interesting precis of the actual history of GT40's in the description. :laugh:

This one has literally been for sale for years, way overpriced for the car. I called on this car at least 2 years ago, they were still using the same pictures and description. While nice, it is not worth what they were asking for, at least in my opinion.

Shoot... I now own one of these so I should be saying they are worth more, right?

Kevin

And what is this? te add says

Ford DATSUN GT 40 von HARMSEN MK1 DEUTSCHE ZULASSUNG

Datsun? but they did not mention that further in the ad, and almost sure Harmsen must be Hermsen?

its a LHD car so that good :D

originally the car came with the ford V6 cosworth so the ad says, but that one is gone but you get a Ford motorsport V8 with Renault gearbox and adapterplate etc with it but you have to install those things yourself I guess.
the car is of the road since 2002 but recently completely resprayed.
pictures are a bit unclear, anyone know this one?

Ford DATSUN GT 40 von HARMSEN MK1 DEUTSCHE ZULASSUNG als Sportwagen/Coupé in castrop rauxel

$(KGrHqMOKogE32llLPYBBOGt6I,+MQ~~_19.JPG

$(KGrHqR,!l!E3HZ+N)DfBOGt6H(8nQ~~_19.JPG

$(KGrHqF,!iEE3OkSSp)eBOGt6J8MIQ~~_19.JPG

$(KGrHqEOKj8E30180R!vBOGt6N(0-w~~_19.JPG

maybe a nice car for some Dutch, German or Belgium forum members?

Back