Current State of GT40 Market

Kevin L. The CAV GT40 that was on/off E Bay for sale in the $80's is now in my garage as of 6-20-10. It's chassis #99 RHD/RHS 408 Windsor RBT series 2 five speed; Gardman blue with polar white stripes; up-grades up the kazoo. I got all the build slips and custom build/manufacture reciepts for the up-grades and changes when it was assembled. Not encluding the extra set of wheels/race tires and spare painted hood. The spend went over $195K including the rolling chassis and shipping. Lots of custom one-off items on this car. It wasn't advertised with near the list of up-grades and changes that it has. 3/4 of the items were not even mentioned in the add. A fab shop in the San Diego area did the build. All top quality construction, fit and finish beyound where you can see. Can't see why it was on the market for almost a year other than the current slump in the economy. All the local GT40 nuts "crap" them selves once they look in the engine bay and suspension of this car.

Last edited:

Charlie Farley

Supporter
Rich,

Would be interested in seeing photos of some of these suspension mods and engine bay that " All the local GT40 nuts "crap" them selves once they look in the engine bay and suspension of this car. " $ 195 K seems an awful lot to spend on a build, IMHO.

Thanks

Julian

Lifetime Supporter
Rich,

Congratulations, I looked hard at that car and believe it to be one of the best bought GT40's for the money I have ever seen. Had I been able to move my current GT40 or the Ultima to free up some $$ I would have purchased it myself.

Enjoy it....

Dwight

RCR GT 40 Gulf Livery 347 Eight Stack injection
I bought Allan RCR GT 40 and look forward to it delivery the first of Jan.:thumbsup:

Dwight

Alan: The shop listed on the 49 pages of build sheets is TRI-C Engineering,Inc. 29095 Avenue Penn, Valencia,Ca. 91355. The suspension mods were up-graded ball joints and the sway bars were replaced with the torsion bar type. All the arms were cut out of billet one-offs etc. Each time the clock started on a build the $$ added up running at $80.00 per hour, so the $195K rolled up quick. The bundle of snakes exhaust were not shipped with the car as this shop scratch built them because the owner didn't like the lay-out and spacing of the factory CAV units. Photo's are on the new owner site, one shot under the rear boot shows some suspension...........It's on page #2 now under Rich Roy new Cav owner....................

Jim Rosenthal

Supporter
This is sort of analogous to "buy the car, get the restoration for free", on a high-end classic. Kind of the same thing; buy the car, get all the upgrades for "free". Good for you. How does it run?

Jim: It runs very well. There are always some "Teething" issues, throttle cable broke twice now. Up-graded the cable from 105 lb test to 480 lb. and found the cause at the folcrum near the foot end in the tunnel where it wasn't pivoting enough and kinking the cable on near full throttle blips. Also the rear axle retainers, custom made, were not designed with large enough openings. Putting it through the paces on extreme left/rights resulted in tearing off the inner edges of the out-board cv boots. Was just too tight of clearence there. I found where they went back in and ground off the edges of the opening, but it wasn't quite enough. I also learned not to top up the gas tanks on cool or warm days, as the gas expands up through the vent tubes and exits into the breather filters in the engine bay. But still, it's the greates car in the world to have, even sitting there apart its a joy.

Last edited:
I was watching a Barrett/Jackson replay of there sale in Las Wages last night and saw a Superformance dark gray w/silver stripes GT40 MkII 427 Rousch RBT LHD sell for $71K, So $9,000 less than the roller, free engine, free gearbox, free install kit, and free labor. What a deal! Best of all "Free" of having to deal with getting the car here with all the hoops from South Africa. That was a "special pain in the ass"!

Last edited:
Things changed since I bought my Superformance Daytona coupe. You had to put down $25K to order it, $25K when it was boxed for shipping, and pay the remainder upon arrival (Reno) before it could be touched to get the drivetrain install started. Three months promised to get the car ended up being nine! A friend near by me ordered a GT40 MKII and went through the same hoops, but got backed up from car #24 to car #29 because of more prominent orderers until he hit the piss button to get them back on track. My car got lost twice, once for 6 weeks. Then I was told I never ordered it! It took 2 days to prove I had sent them the money with faxed check copies from the bank etc, then they found they had entered my name backwords! The car came missing specific ordered items, paint issues, etc. I plan never to go through this again. The same process was in place in May of 2006 when I was at there display at the Cobra Bash in Reno. They were next to the CAV display. How may people didn't want to go through this screwed-up program and didn't buy there cars? I can count 3 close friends who backed away. It seems a lot better since Lance took over, save for ordering a part from South Africa.

indeed a lot of money...translated (google)
Very rare original GT40 MKII made by Shelby / Superformance USA.
This is a one-off custom made by Shelby / Superformance.
This GT40 MKII is one of the most spectacular cars in this segment, we had been on offer.
This vehicle was implanted in an exclusive 7.0-liter racing engine of IR 427 Keith Craft Performance Engines.
This engine from Keith Craft is characterized in particular by the open TWM individual throttle injection system from which helps the engine to an output of 650 hp. To ventilate the engine perfectly a TWM Air Box was built in carbon. All in all a top class engine with a truly incredible performance. ...!
Shifting in the car with a ZF 5-speed manual transmission.

so its not a out of the box car, but indeed the price is hefty...
on this side in EU almost all GT40 are very expensive specially SPF and CAV and RCR cars, only UK gt40's are reasonable but sadly RHD...

here are about 13 other gt40 and gt Ford's

gt40 Suchergebnisse: Pkw bei mobile.de

most are above 100.000,-euro

sadly when we import a car from the US you have to pay high taxes too, although that 65.000$ mk2 SPF will still be a good buy even when you want to sell it over-here incl taxes etc.

and a few here, also again a 160K euro that red one, its nice but pfff thats a lot.

http://www.autoscout24.nl/ListGN.aspx?atype=C&mmvmk0=29&mmvmd0=18708&mmvco=1&make=29&model=18708&version=40&pricefrom=1000&ustate=N%2CU

Last edited:
For us lurkers-future buyers, this has been a very good thread. Comments from Cliff Beer always caught my attention, we are on the same wavelenght. I joined this forum to read and lurk, but decided to post that I also checked out Ryan and Chuck's build thread as it was mentioned a number of times on this thread. Thanks for all the info, cash in hand ready to pull the trigger.

Back