Supporter
Is this what you are looking for?

Attachments

• P7130015.JPG
    P7130015.JPG
    198 KB · Views: 288

Tim Kay

Lifetime Supporter
I visited Hillbanks yesterday and was able to get up close and personal to a recent arrival (still mounted on shipping frame). MkI Gulf RHD with roll cage. Sorry, I did not take note of the vin#

Seymour Snerd

Lifetime Supporter
Larry L. said:
...evidently it's a wide body :cry:.....Where is it?...

Is the rear clip the only thing that's holding you back? They don't cost that much. Paint it to match and you're good to go. Someone will buy the old one. He who hesitates is lost.....

Looks like it's headed for a dealer near Naples, Florida. Send the right people the right check and I bet it'll turn and head right for you.

And no, I have no snow to shovel either. :laugh:

Last edited:

Rick Muck- Mark IV

GT40s Sponsor
Supporter
Exactly what I'm looking for is this, Rick. Note the rear end design (incidently, Mr. Stander told me SPF can supply this rear):

Ford GT40 3D Model by Luis Nieves (Work In Progress Gallery)

...would want the Ford GT style elect remote side mirrors added to the above.

Regardless, what's the story on the thumbnail car? Does it have leather? Where is it?

That is the standard "mid-width" tail. Not the "wde-tail" nor the optiional "narrow" (first version MK I). And that car is currently burning gas and crushing bugs. I don't have a Gulf MK I on hand. I just wanted to confirm what you were looking for. The tail design can look very different dependant upon photo angle, etc.

We can do electric mirrors using several different donors, older RX 7, the new Mini or others based upon the mirror glass size you want. I have a Gulf car coming shortly that will have the mirrors door mounted and painted to match. An alternate way is to mount them at the front lower edge of the side glazing and paint them semi-gloss black. They then sort of 'disappear" into the glass from most angles.

Some more pictures as well as comparison of the three tail styles available from Superformance:

Attachments

• P7130018.JPG
    P7130018.JPG
    195.9 KB · Views: 238
  • P7130019.JPG
    P7130019.JPG
    197.2 KB · Views: 262
  • P7130017.JPG
    P7130017.JPG
    190.8 KB · Views: 255
  • Narrow Tail.JPG
    Narrow Tail.JPG
    73.4 KB · Views: 222
  • Std Tail.JPG
    Std Tail.JPG
    140.5 KB · Views: 258
  • Wide Tail.JPG
    Wide Tail.JPG
    70.6 KB · Views: 261
How generous Rick....:laugh:

As this thread is not just about SPF...but the GT40 market

I can tell you that the GT40 kit world is still thriving , we have a half dozen on order right now...and a couple of Mk4's too.

The rest of the nostalgia replicas are far from dead with the 917's, T70's and 40's (not counting the Superlite range) we are really busy...just an FYI. ....some gearheads still want to build stuff...especially if its domestic and Made in America...

This can only be a good sign surely...

Last edited:

Rick Muck- Mark IV

GT40s Sponsor
Supporter
How generous Rick....:laugh:

As this thread is not just about SPF...but the GT40 market

I can tell you that the GT40 kit world is still thriving , we have a half dozen on order right now...and a couple of Mk4's too.

The rest of the nostalgia replicas are far from dead with the 917's, T70's and 40's (not counting the Superlite range) we are really busy...just an FYI. ....some gearheads still want to build stuff...especially if its domestic and Made in America...

This can only be a good sign surely...

AGREED!!!!

The market is not on fire but going steady.

And have you EVER been able to get baked potatoes at Outback?

Charlie Farley

Supporter
I've read alot about the well known replicas, SPF, CAV, RCR, Tornado etc, a mix of monocoques and spaceframes, but little about potential resale / appreciating /depreciating values on the likes of the David Brown chassis, Gelscoe and Mirage chassis.
For those that are unaware of the Mirage chassis, the best documented is Jimmy Mac's. His build thread is on here.
Jimmy Mac's chassis is a Mirage and no more will be built. The builder died. Jimmy and i both bought chassis and are going down the route of using original parts. Both using the ultra rare bottom ends of the ultimate 289, XE (Ford 'Experimental' Gulf era blocks). I know where one more is, but not available.
I believe in Jimmy's case he is using C6FE heads, in mine will be Gurney Eagle heads.All ancillary equipment will be original.
So what are you thoughts on where these completed cars stand in the market?

Mike

Lifetime Supporter
Inquiring minds would like to know.....ball park value of your current SPF in your opinion versus an equally kept/maintained CAV, RCR, ERA, TORNADO?
Lots of variables there. This is all speculation of course and in no way is meant to construe that brands other than SPF are somehow lesser vehicles. I think personally that the RCR car with it's more modern chassis may be superior from an engineering perspective. I've never seen one in person and cannot comment on the build quality or attention to detail. All that said I think a clean SPF Mk1 would bring in excess of $100K quite easily and some cases more. An equally prepared non SPF car would be in the $75K range. This is based on my research over the last couple years searching the web prior to and after purchasing my SPF. I also think a Roush engine brings something to the table as opposed to another power plant in regards to resale.

Seymour Snerd

Lifetime Supporter

Pure guess work on my part but I think "meticulous replicas" like yours (let's call them the 99% cars in honor of America's class warfare) will fetch significantly more than a really good SPF (i.e. one with an original-type block, RHD, sill shift, etc.) but only to a really small set of connoiseurs. I would think a good SPF (let's call it an 85% car) would sell for 50-60% of a 99% car but to a much larger community of less discriminating buyers. Then behind that would be the LHD, 427 Windsor type with a far larger audience but 10 or 20% less money. So just to throw something out there, I still think a good but run-of-the-mill LHD 427 Windsor SPF should sell a chunk under parts cost, say $90K to one of the few thousand or so people who like those things. An attempt-at-accuracy SPF another $20K to one of the 100 or so people in the world that appreciate it, and a 99% Mirage-based-or-similar car, to one of the 10 or 20 people in the world that really appreciates it, $180K-$220K. But I think you'll wait a looooong time for that guy to call you. Footnote: Get FIA racing papers for it and I bet the phone rings a lot sooner, especially after it is seen at a few races.

Disclaimer: I'm disregarding for the moment the current 12-month lead time on SPFs. That's got to grossly restrict the new-sale market (who buys a 6-figure frivolity and is then willing to wait over a year to take delivery?), while making the used ones easier to sell. But what do I know?

Fire away!

Mike

Lifetime Supporter
I've read alot about the well known replicas, SPF, CAV, RCR, Tornado etc, a mix of monocoques and spaceframes, but little about potential resale / appreciating /depreciating values on the likes of the David Brown chassis, Gelscoe and Mirage chassis.
For those that are unaware of the Mirage chassis, the best documented is Jimmy Mac's. His build thread is on here.
Jimmy Mac's chassis is a Mirage and no more will be built. The builder died. Jimmy and i both bought chassis and are going down the route of using original parts. Both using the ultra rare bottom ends of the ultimate 289, XE (Ford 'Experimental' Gulf era blocks). I know where one more is, but not available.
I believe in Jimmy's case he is using C6FE heads, in mine will be Gurney Eagle heads.All ancillary equipment will be original.
If GT40s are a niche market then the ones mentioned are a niche within a niche and are worth as much as someone will pay. Given that no matter how accurate and made they may be, they are still not originals, I would not expect them to return a profit anytime soon.

Back