Current State of GT40 Market

Proof positive that OWNERS THINK that their cars are worth more than they are. If it didn't sell the first time why would he think it would sell now with the SAME buy it now price. You all do know what the definition of insanity is right?

Pat Buckley

GT40s Supporter
I don't get it.

You're triumphant because you finally have "proof positive" that owners think their cars are worth more than they are?

Are you the master of the obvious, or what?

Can you please tell me of ONE item for sale (anything- a can of soda, a house, a used intake manifold - ANYTHING) where the owner thinks that it is not worth as much as he is trying to sell it for?

Enough already!

Ron McCall

Supporter
I don't get it.

You're triumphant because you finally have "proof positive" that owners think their cars are worth more than they are?

Are you the master of the obvious, or what?

Can you please tell me of ONE item for sale (anything- a can of soda, a house, a used intake manifold - ANYTHING) where the owner thinks that it is not worth as much as he is trying to sell it for?

Enough already!

Yeah! Damien,Why are you even here if you have no emotional attachment to the GT40?
You come off as a bitter jackass. I hope that's not really the case.

Jim Craik

Lifetime Supporter
Yeah! Damien,Why are you even here if you have no emotional attachment to the GT40?
You come off as a bitter jackass. I hope that's not really the case.<!-- google_ad_section_end -->

I'm afraid it is the case.

Proof positive that OWNERS THINK that their cars are worth more than they are. If it didn't sell the first time why would he think it would sell now with the SAME buy it now price. You all do know what the definition of insanity is right?

You are just being silly Damian. Come on.

Have you ever fished or hunted? Just because you didn't bag on on your first trip doesn't mean you give up hunting/fishing forever. This isn't like trading currency.

You are looking at a small potential pool of buyers here - maybe one. What if the potential buyer is just now committing to look? Or maybe next week? You have to keep putting it out there.

You can't be that naive? Can you? Come on.

Last edited:

You are absolutely right Damian, he thinks it is worth over $100K. And guess what, since nobody has offered what he feels it is worth, he still owns it, and I suspect, until someone meets his price, he will continue to own it.

It's not insanity, it's reality. He may drop the price some, or he may not. But, I assure you, he will never bring it down below $80K.

Ian

Mid-to-late July isn't exactly considered seasonally the best time to sell either. Most folks seem to take vacation around this time. You know. Kids are out of school and all.

Damian, you're applying the typical economic expectations of a highly liquid market ie. lots of buyers and sellers of a fairly standardized product...something like you might find for Wall Street equities (NYSE stocks, for example). The GT40 market is far from a liquid market, meaning, timing of interest of particular/individual buyers and sellers is highly relevant to the rate of actual closed sales, and the price points of those sales. I don't mean to offend, but your statements identify you as having a very rudimentary understanding of economics, and the functional mechanics of various markets.

Mid-to-late July isn't exactly considered seasonally the best time to sell either. Most folks seem to take vacation around this time. You know. Kids are out of school and all.

Agree with the July thought. With that said, I do not believe it is the first time this car has been up at Auction; I think this "Jack Roush Special Edition" car has been up for sale for quite some time. I believe it has been listed at 105K each time (I am going by memory, I could be wrong).

I am not making any assertions on the price or if it is high or low...

Kevin

Agree with the July thought. With that said, I do not believe it is the first time this car has been up at Auction; I think this "Jack Roush Special Edition" car has been up for sale for quite some time. I believe it has been listed at 105K each time (I am going by memory, I could be wrong).

I am not making any assertions on the price or if it is high or low...

Kevin

I believe you are correct. It has definitely been listed before, and I believe the pricing did not vary much if any. Again, it goes back to what I said about the seller not having to sell if his price is not met. Nothing to do with any "market" value, but everything to do with what the owner believes it to be worth. The "market" value of the car will not be known until it actually changes hands, at which point the new owner will set his own value to it, which may or may not be what he paid for it.

Ian

Maybe the guy who keeps listing this car at the same price doesn't NEED to sell it, but will, if he can get an amount he has set his mind on.

When I put my car up for sale recently, I set the price at what it would take for me to let it go. I don't need to sell it, but sometimes I fancy a change, so I listed it on Pistonheads for free.

The price I set was slightly above what I perceived to be the actual market value, but it is 'worth' more than that to me, so I'd rather keep it than let it go at a lower price.

Needless to say - I've still got it which makes me very happy!

If I ever NEED to sell it, obviously I will have to adjust the price to match what potential buyers think it is worth.

Seymour Snerd

Lifetime Supporter
I think this "Jack Roush Special Edition" car has been up for sale for quite some time.

You might be right. However, I've had a "saved search" on Ebay for a few months and this was only the second time it appeared.

IAE, my thought was we coud use this thread to briefly list each relevant GT40-for-sale event so we have a place any seekers can go to find pointers to possible purchases. It took me quite some effort to track down all the candidates when i was looking for mine six months ago and at the time I would have been very grateful for such a listing.

However, if y'all think that's redundandant I'll skip it. Let me know.

You might be right. However, I've had a "saved search" on Ebay for a few months and this was only the second time it appeared.

Hmm... If you go to the dealer selling this car; their webpage has the car listed at ~15K below:

PRICE: $90527

I don't know if they have a technical error between Ebay and their own website or if they are trying for a premium. Never the less, looks like they would take less than 105K if the dealer page is correct.

Back