Current State of GT40 Market

Jim Rosenthal

Supporter
Nice looking car, the red ERa one...although I wouldn't have put the brake air scoops on a Mark I car. Also has 17" wheels if I am not mistaken...but overall, very tidily done. Probably adequately quick as well.....

I thought "Data Point" was correctly used in the context. It is a piece of data, in this case a price, which is fixed at a particular point in time. Thie price may be different tomorrow, or next year, or when it sells, but at that point in time it was a data point. If you take many (ie. a statistically significant number of them) you will get a group ("cluster" on a graph) that represents the values at that time, giving a reasonable idea of a range of market values.

However, I do appreciate the gulf between "right mind" and "GT40 ownership".

Kevin I'll see your 80 with a 57 and even less if I pull the ebay adds posted in another thread. http://www.gt40s.com/forum/gt40-cars-sale/31749-gtd-sale.html Now IMHO Chris I think has set a realistic price as even I don't think that they will dip to much below what he is asking. There have even been a few ebay adds with cars listed for less (the v6 one comes to mind) but than again no V8 so I will concede that the motor choice might make a difference. BTW Chris best of luck with your sale!!!!!

No offense to Chris, since his car is very well put together (I have seen it in person), but there are significant differences between the ERA on eBay and Chris's GTD.

Stainless steel semi-monocoque vs. space frame clad with aluminum
351W balanced, blueprinted and ported vs. 302 balanced
Webers vs. 4 bbl Holley
ZF vs. Renault transaxle

Place whatever value you feel these differences are worth, and you may find the prices are quite reasonable on both sides.

Ian

Keith

It's a nice car but £100k worth? If it's reached £60k and still not met reserve, I'd leave it.

Non crossover exhaust

Renault "race" transaxle

'8 (Fast!) ADF / Weber Street / Race carburettors with accelerator pumps

"Sellers comment: Hi Roy The Frame is a factory GTD Monocock Close to a GT-40 "

The motor, however, looks a good spec but judging by seller's knowledge & sales pitch I would say 'caveat emptor' here, and make sure you examine the vehicle in person before bidding.

Keith

Interesting oblique approach to the subject of replica values is the case of Jenson Button.

His Brawn contract said that should he win the World Championship in 2009 then he would be given one of the cars he actually raced which cost upwards of £1 million pounds each.

Mercedes inherited his contract but they fudged their responsibilities and eventually said that there were only 6 Brawn cars made and they wanted them all and he couldn't have one. After he harrassed them, they said they would "Build a nut and bolt Brawn car from scratch" for him, to mimmick his favourite chassis at a cost (to Mercedes) of well over £1 million.

Jenson said quote: "Nope - I want the real thing" and took them to the High Court. Last week he either won his case or Mercedes retracted and he will get one of his actual World Championship cars delivered to him as promised.

I make no point here but to say that it seems at whatever level, a historic car with provenence will, it seems, always be worth more and will be more desirable, than a replica no matter how good. (as if we didn't already know that).

If there's a moral to this, it would also seem that a replica is only worth what it's worth to whoever wants to buy/own it.

"If there's a moral to this, it would also seem that a replica is only worth what it's worth to whoever wants to buy/own it."

I Agree, and would think the same goes for the Real Thing.

Wally, I know this car and also the Cobra he has for sale. These are both very nice cars. The Boss 302 is a very high spec engine. The body and paint work is superb. The GTD 40 has an upgraded brake system,a multi disc clutch and an upgraded A/C system. I have seen this car run at Willow Springs and it is very fast. The last time I saw the car it was housed with 2 Cobras and a new Ford GT. I would suspession that the man needs some garage space and is busy enjoying his Ford GT so has decided to sell off some of his toys. If you want a nice GTD40 you should take a look and make an offer. By the way the car is priced in dollars not pounds - big difference!

I do think the auction price was lower than the market. There was over 600 cars sold in a weekend - in Orange County - where real estate and lending are two major industries. The prices for all of the cars were considerably lower than in other markets. Also, the car was sold late in the night after many persons had left - and the auctioneer did think that it would go for double that. They only said that on about half a dozen cars - so i am hoping he is right and that the value is higher.

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
Jesse -

I really like your car...
Looks pretty special with the removable Targa Top...

Please start a thread in the Build Logs or GT40 exterior / body and show us more pictures of your car;

91078_Interior_Web.jpg

Attachments

• 91078_Interior_Web.jpg
    91078_Interior_Web.jpg
    46.7 KB · Views: 328
  • 91078_Front_3-4_Web.jpg
    91078_Front_3-4_Web.jpg
    43.8 KB · Views: 378
  • 91078_Rear_3-4_Web.jpg
    91078_Rear_3-4_Web.jpg
    42.3 KB · Views: 374
  • 91078_Engine_Web.jpg
    91078_Engine_Web.jpg
    47.1 KB · Views: 375
Alan, Jesse,

Having watched many auctions on TV if there is one thing I've learned its that timing is everything. There is "prime-time" and "non prime-time" and if your car goes off at a "non prime-time" time you could lose thousands. I tried to see this one go across the block but missed it. 61K is low for this car. This, as they say, was well bought. I would think and hope not indicative of the current market.

Jesse -

I really like your car...
Looks pretty special with the removable Targa Top...

Please start a thread in the Build Logs or GT40 exterior / body and show us more pictures of your car;

91078_Interior_Web.jpg

Great idea - i will get some pictures up in the next few days. The car is really clean and it was fun driving home today.

Next tires and a tune.

I haven't been here for a while but stopped in yesterday and read most of this post. The only thing that keeps anything from selling is price. I know that I have bought many things I didn't need or even want because it was a good price. Lets see if there are buyers in todays market. I have a mostly complete RCR 40 that is titled in Ohio as a 2008 self assembled. It looks like everybody thinks $50K -$70K is the place to be. I will take $60K FIRM.
Jeff Hamilton

Back