CVs vs. U joints

GT40s by Type

• Total voters
I am ready to attaach the axels to my 930 Porsche transaxel and Corvette uprights. I am interested in the benefits/strenghts/ weakness of the CVs vs. U joints. I plan to see track time occasionaly, and I will have plenty of power so it is important to not have to do this more than once if possible. I know that the 108mm Lobros(?) are superior to the 100mm. from an earlier thread by Rick Merz. What experience have you guys had with these units on the track? Hassel factor? I have several contacts for either method. Will have to send the uprights off to have the U joints removed if the CVs are utilized.

Peter Delaney

GT40s Supporter
Just finished replacing my uni's with Federal Mogul parts - the originals were some cheap Taiwanese ones with enough end-play to rattle your teeth ! If you go for uni's, go for "Made in USA".

Kind Regards

Peter D.

Bill
Having the choice I would always go with the CV joints. Although they require some care in regards to maintaining a good seal at the boot, unless this is compromised they rarely fail unless this has been compromised or they just have been overstressed to failure.
CV joints on production cars these days routinely go 200,000 miles with no maintenance, and that is mostly at the front wheels with multiple axis being applied to them.
I think U-joints are great for what they are, But the constant velocity joint is far superior as far as ability to transfer motion at higher angles, and lateral movement that U-joints don't have unless your half shaft has a splined slider in it which is another lube point and another seal to worry about. Put in a good set of CV's and I would bet they would give good service and look nicer as well.
Good Luck
Phil

I am reviving this thread because I would like to know if anyone has had experience with one of these dealers. I am just now getting around to getting the axels for my car. As stated above, it has the C4 outer hubs, which need to be changed to the CVs. Am going with the 108 lobros so as to hold the power. I will find out if the inner CVs are any good( came with the car on the 930). Does anyone have an idea about trying to source with local shops such as off roaders etc.
I sent inquires some time back to:

Enjo Racing, Taylor Racing and Mark Williams.

Each could handle the job. Just looking for some guidance

Ron Earp

Admin
Somehow this poll, and some others, got corrupted on transistion to the new forum. Might want to start a new one.

Ron

Back