D.I.Y. Mk IV

Your talking about the mechanical ( no Hydraulic ) clutch linkage, its biggest problem was the 'Long' type clutch cover with centrifugal assist finger weights which required large pedal pressures compared to later diaphragm types, along with any engine mounts that allowed the engine to move around in the engine bay... pretty hard to modulate clutch engagement when the whole engine is going walkabout with this system.:) This setup is OK under 'normal' RPM & lower power operation, but you will have to decide on whether to fit a torque control arm to the engine block & try to limit engine movement along with a later type clutch cover, or bite the bullet & fit a hydraulic M/Cyl & internal TBrg. Check whether your car has a large coil spring up under the dash that acts as an 'overcenter' assist in clutch release-- if you do go to a diaphragm cover you must remove this.. it will cause the pedal to stay on the floor @ high RPM if you should be inclined attempt to do a fast type shift to prevent anything MOPAR from blocking forward vision on the way to church.
I will send Dan an email, if I have problems with reply I will give you info to contact him with. Sometimes our 'southern foreign' email addresses seem to earn a one way trip to the spam bin.

Do I see the use of a 9" diff unit there Jac? Doesnt look like a sprial bevel gear will fit in that arrangement.

Do I see the use of a 9" diff unit there Jac? Doesnt look like a sprial bevel gear will fit in that arrangement.

Your right in that a spiral bevel R&P wont work in this housing as the QC gears dictate 3.5" shaft centers which would mean that height difference for the input/output shafts would also be 3.5" which puts you in the same area as a P 930.
But unfortunately your also wrong as a 9" R&P wont work either , mores the pity. There are a couple of ways that I could 'make' a 9" work, but then it gets away from the MISS/KISS principle.

Some 'ugly' pics to show that the 'inside' of these casting patterns can involve more work than the 'outside.:):) After all, everything has to be able to be fitted & adjusted once this is finished & you have to allow for shrinkage etc along with the slightly different Ring Gear /Crownwheel thickness of the various options ratio wise. The 'large' cavity in the clutch brg area was/is a latecomer to the plan when it became obvious that doing it like this would add a lot of strength to the casing plus allow an extra support for the core during the pouring phase of making this part.

Last edited:
my first post on this forum.
and Jac's efforts are exactly why i had to join.
it was Russ's partner in crime on the scratch built Kiwi '40 -- Lim
whose tool & die talents ignited my desire to hang out here.
and today i find another Kiwi is another of those genius DIY'r & a
gearcase casting to boot !
a gt40 project for me . . . . . not sure yet. but these Kiwis have
got the journey part --- down pat.
i have Tim Hanna's "John Britten" book next to my
"Jig and Fixture Design Manual" and it looks like my time
on gt40 watching the Kiwis update will be time well spent.
look forward to the journey of these efforts

scott

Wish I could delete all my previous posts as they are no longer really relevant to the patterns as they are now and the internals now ALL have strength qualities that I feel very comfortable with, this is LHD/shift trans case, I have got a RH version part done as well .( Ive always built my race cars LHD, prefer them this way, & should I ever get this thing done it would be nice to have the option of making it either LH/RH for road use or resale reasons).
Still I suppose the early posts will serve as a reminder of how it evolved to this point.

Last edited:
Nope, just on the floor, sweeping up is not my strong point, still they ( the shavings )come in handy for soaking up the oily perspiration from the odd chevy that sneaks into my shop when Im not looking.:)

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
Casting parts has always been somewhat of a mystery to me... Very curious of the steps involved and how materials are chosen..

Jac your model looks like it will be quite stout and very serviceable. :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Careful of those dripping Chevys now... :laugh:

Randy-Big Foot, was suggesting that I show some of the other bits around here, well its not mid engined, but last weekend we decided the Daytona buck needed to shift out to make room for the MKIV & other stuff thats still in the loft,so a bit of careful manouvering with a large shovel & out it came, I think Donna & I both held our breath for the whole time it was suspended & swung around to terra firma & then the 200 meter journey up to the house, at least now I have permanent door for this stuff out of the loft!:).

Last edited:

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
Fabulous Jac!!!!

I believe that I would have been holding my breath as well!

From what I see in the pictures, it looks like the buck is almost complete. I'd love to see even more if you have the time to take pictures and post..

Brian Stewart
Supporter
Wow, the digger driver certainly earned a crate of beer for that one...

Wow, the digger driver certainly earned a crate of beer for that one...

Ha Ha, I reckon that too, but I havent bought it for me yet!:)
I keep telling you guys---DIY means ..Do it yourself, including drive the digger... nobody else would work for the rate I am prepared to pay...or things I try to do:lipsrsealed:............

Russ Noble

GT40s Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
So the Daytona buck is now in the garage under the house? So Donna can work on it? She'll be pleased....

I think all that speil about making room for the Mk IV was just a red herring....

Workshop's gonna be a bit draughty this winter, init......!!??

So the Daytona buck is now in the garage under the house? So Donna can work on it? She'll be pleased....All she has done is take photos- bloody nuisance with a camera, havent seen any actual attempts with the sandpaper yet....

I think all that speil about making room for the Mk IV was just a red herring....You reckon...you could be wrong..just this once... BTW , hows that shaving foam working out.........

Workshop's gonna be a bit draughty this winter, init......!!??
Sheds been draughty ever since the day I jump started the ute while it was in reverse ... actually going to fix that hole tomorrow..these old bones are starting to object to cold temps

Last edited:
Back