Duncans GT-Forte Scratch Build

NickD

Supporter
Duncan,

Looking good bud. Should be in possession of my remaining bodywork in about 6 weeks. Seems we are pretty close build progress wise ;-)

Looking forward to more of your posts.

Nick.

Time for the 3d printed widget of the day, and i've run out of the purple/pink leftover pla so a change of colour! :laugh:

This is a tool to put a lip on the edge of a panel cutout for a cover. About 50p of filament and a few quids worth of 12mm bearings.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    76.1 KB · Views: 527
Last edited:
Hopefully in this shot you can see how the stagger is created using two different sizes of 12mm bearings. Theres a stop printed on one half that gives a fairly even offset from the edge. By changing the order of bearings and washers i can increase the width of the lip and the steepness of the step.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    91.4 KB · Views: 582
Tested on the cutout above the footwell. Not sure if this panel is staying, the wood used to put the fold in marked it and im not sure if i can get it flat again.

Seemed to work quite well. Some minor marking but nothing major. Had to use a g clamp in addition to the bolts in the tool to get enough tension, but expected that, it is 3d printed after all!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    69 KB · Views: 523
Brilliant ! I wish I had such a tool when I redid the pannelling, behind the seats on my GTD...
Do you know if a steel version of the same tool could be found on the net ? (was not able to find any...)

Last edited:
Ive never seen a similar tool I'm afraid, it was something i sketched ou when bored in a meeting. Im sure you could bend up a bit of 3mm flat steel bar to do something similar.

Have finished off the dashtop /footwell panel, with edges folded over where possible to avoid edge trims.

I accidentally put some dings in the panel when folding it. Have tried to beat it as flat as possible, but not sure if its flat enough. This may be a test for the paint to see if its still visible when painted, otherwise its back to square one...

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    116 KB · Views: 537
Not sure what to coat the front panels with. I was going to go powdercoat, possibly crackle finish, but looking at alternatives. Has anyone used por15 OEM Bedliner? Looks really good and will stay flexible and resist stonechips. Thoughts?

Bumper 3d print of the day today!

I designed some custom rollers for the bead roller to replicate the shape of the original sills. Purple bits on the image below. I also design and printed a depth guide for the bead roller (red bit).

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    188.8 KB · Views: 633
Test on 1.6mm sheet, same as the sills. Bad closest to the white film on the aluminium panel where with the new roller (other was another experiment, not quite as sharp).

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    84.1 KB · Views: 575

Morten

Mortified GT
Supporter
Just a thought... who will look at your wheel wells when your driving?
Stonechips will come anyways, bare ally panels with slight coat of WD40 and easy to keep clean. Perhaps a layer or two with carbon fibre mat underside of front clip closest to the tyres to avoid stonechiping the paintjob from underside.
Any thoughts on top rear airducts? (The blanked off ones).
Sorry, just my two pennies worth. M

Morten

Mortified GT
Supporter
Brett, correct, to prevent from starring. Carbon fibre mat using epoxy resin for added strength, and Flowcoat the lot on underside for nice black finish.

Glued in 3/16" cork to the underside of the top fender undersides, covered with underseal and painted with satin black.- no stars, cracks etc. from trackdays or touring.

hey Bud et all
GTD front and rear clips were reinforced with 3mm core mat in the wheel arch areas. this added strength and protected the outside surface from stone impacts.
the bodywork i supply to Southern GT and others, is to the same spec as GTD supplied.
if it ain't broke... :)

Duncan, for what it's worth, I love POR15 products.
The original black POR15 is incredible stuff.
Lee, your bodywork is in a different class? Saving up!

New addition to the garage which now has even less space! '87 Ford 5.0 engine. EFI will be going however...

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    183.3 KB · Views: 546
Looks like it had a fairly recent rebuild. Good clean plugs and bores still showing honing pattern.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    202 KB · Views: 422
Lots of sludge in the coolant passages. Doesnt smell of fuel, im thinking somebody mixed coolant types maybe? Any thoughts?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    189.5 KB · Views: 472
Back