Engine choice.

Chris Kouba

Supporter
Re: Engine choice - LS1

I think someone said THIS CAR (scroll to bottom) was running a Lexus motor, and if I remember correctly a Subaru gearbox as well.

No other notes on it but I'd bet one of the brothers down under would know something about it.

Chris

Interesting! not for the purists maybe, but looks pretty good.
Almost ALL the cobras in the UK (it seems) are running Chevy v8's. I'd be interested to know more about the Lexus/Audi options. Has anyone fitted an Audi V8?
Simon

Peter Delaney

GT40s Supporter

I had heard that there was a Lexus powered car here in Oz - Port Macquarie (a few hundred k's north of Sydney) - no idea of the owner or history though.

Here's an Audi powered one (in Newcastle, I think) - I know the owner's name, but that's all !

Kind Regards,

Peter D.

Attachments

• 73984-gt40071.jpg
    73984-gt40071.jpg
    80 KB · Views: 1,010

Hi guys I have seen two Lexus powered GT40s in Aus, one is on the NSW central Coast, a RF with eight throllte bodies. I have had the pleasure of driving this car and it is quite quick, and there is a DRB in Qld, I am going the LS1 Gen 3 please dont shoot me.

For anyone who is interested in using one of the LS series engines with an Audi transaxle I am working on an adaptor kit to do this. Kennedy does not offer this adaptor. It requires a modified front sump oil pan. If you are interested let me know by posting a message here.

Simon,

Stick with a Ford. I say shame on those who would take Ford history and stomp on it by using a different power plant. If your going to use a Chevy motor build a RCR-70 Mk. IIIB Coupe, a Ultima, or buy a Vette.
I'm a huge Blue Oval guy. I don't have a problem with people that like other brands, but you should find a car in that brand if you want to use that motor. I think it is like spitting on Henry II's grave when people do things like that. If you really love the GT, then you probably love the history that goes along with it, this history was made possible by Ford!

Stay true!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/soapbox.gif

Hi Simon,
Hey Jim S is probably right, the standard 302 is easy to fit easily adaptable to most boxes.
If you want an easy build, not much hassle fairly slow on the track and the same as everyone else then go for it.
If on the other hand you want a challenge in your build, more power at an affordable cost then diversify a little Lets face it you can have your rocker covers engraved FORD and most people wont know the difference.
If your a traditionalist the genuine Ford is the only option, even though originals never had a spaceframe chassis, renault boxes, etc.
I love the GT40 and respect what Ford did in the 60's and 70's but I like to add my personal touches to the car.
Henry can turn in his grave !

Wow Keith, so your telling me you can't make a fast car with a Ford small block. I guess Jack Roush has been wrong all these years. Your gonna have to give him a call and set him straight.

My point was that the GT is a Ford car and without Ford we wouldn't be enjoying it. There's nothing wrong with showing some respect by sticking with the same name for the power plant.

That's my point!

Sorry if I offended anyone.

Hi Jim, You couldn't offend me, I'm to thick skinned. Anyway your too far away to beat me up.
I did say a standard 302 not a Roush engine, My 640 BHP Chevy going in the GTD 40 is a personal choice, I think the chevy is cheaper to get horsepower from than a ford and by all accounts easier to dry sump I'm told. The biggest problem is how many Dollars is anyone prepared to put into there project. I can see your point about putting the Ford engine in the Ford car but I have built many cars including a GTD40 , Two Ultimas etc etc. and I like to be different , but in keeping with the original shape. I dont know Simons budget but this is his second build 'I believe ' and he may be thinking of doing something different.
If we were all the same , life would be boring.
Best Wishes Jim

Below is my old car with 302 engine.

6gtd22.jpg

Keith,

Beautiful Car! Even if I was there, we would have a great discussion without a fist fight. I agree on life would be boring if we all did the same thing. I too like to cut my own path. I'm actually going to investigate putting an Eaton supercharger on one. Of course I will be building my own intake and intercooler for this, but it will be unique, and fairly low bucks for big power. I have the advantage of working for Eaton Corp at there Air Management Proving Grounds in Marshall, MI.
Still Not sure if I can get it packaged, but I'm going to give it a hard look. We'll see.

BTW 640HP naturally aspirated doesn't come cheap no matter how you rap it. You either need some good cubes or ya gotta spin it.

Nice talking with you. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif

Resale value for a Chevy powered Cobra or GT40 in the US would suffer significantly. However that doesn't seem quite the case in the UK for non-Ford engined Cobras....not exactly sure why.

However I suspect yanking the V-12 from a Jag and installing
a 350 Chebbie, as I've seen frequently in the US would get more resistance over the Pond !

MikeD

Russ Noble

GT40s Supporter
Lifetime Supporter

[ QUOTE ]
I think the chevy is cheaper to get horsepower from than a ford and by all accounts easier to dry sump I'm told.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hi Keith, that's an awesome car you're building. Not wishing to promote thread drift, but do you know what are the issues with dry sumping the SBF? Why should one motor be more difficult than any other? Save me finding out the hard way!

Regards

Hi Russ
I dont know what's involved with dry sumping the ford but Roy Smart, chairmen of GTD40 club has had problems with this, I believe installing the system and the cost. Speak to Roy or Paul Thompson.
The Chevy was not a problem for the guy who builds my engines and I've never had any oil or pressure problems.

Looks like your thinking of a Porsche box, I dont know what the 4 speed is like for circuit work but the five speed G50 Turbo is super, it's strong and feels good on the circuit and on the long straights like at silverstone the 5th is rewarding.
I have G50's in both my Ultimas so I'm fitting the same in the new GTD40 i'm building now .
If you need info about gear linkages etc post on the transmission section of the forum and I'll try to pick it up.
Keep in touch with your progress

This is my Can Am Ultima engine,dry sumped. the engine for my GTD40 will be similar but 60 BHP more
BestofLemans05318.jpg

Russ Noble

GT40s Supporter
Lifetime Supporter

Hey Keith, thats a very nice installation but you've bolted the motor up to the transaxle back to front. The motor should be fitted with the distributor to the front not the back!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bash.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/banghead.gif

I don't anticipate any problems with the dry sump setup but I'll keep Paul and Roy in mind if I do. Ebay's a wonderful thing to keep costs down. I nearly spend as much time on the computer as I do on the build!!

You're right, I am going with the 4 speed. I believe it's stronger, so the motor will have room to grow and for the first season I am just going to give the trans a quick freshen up plus I'll make up a billet sideplate and build a spray bar. For the second season I plan on converting to dog box with custom ratios. When checking out ratios I found it's not possible to get a high enough 1st in a G50, thus on the track the G50 would effectively be a 4 speed anyway. I don't anticipate a problem with gear linkages either, I just plan to run a rod all the way back to the shift rod. I may be missing something here as I haven't seen anyone on the forum do this. Theoretically that system has drawbacks but I'm sure it's the easiest, simplest and most positive system. It's easy to get carried away with theory and ignore the practical application. Particularly if it's your "baby", you want to have everything "right". Actually just looking at your photo again that looks like a gearchange rod running along the RHS of the trans? I may have spoken too soon!! Are you using a rod linkage? I will go and check your build thread again, but I will have to post this first or I will lose it all!!

My build is progressing well, I've got a heap of things part completed but there's really nothing to show for it yet. Very soon though!!

Good luck with your project, you are doing a great job of building a great car. Pity about the motor though /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bash.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Regards

Edit.
By golly, now that I have looked at your build thread, I think that is a rod going back to the shift linkage. How many other cars have i missed that on? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/flamer.gif No need to reinvent the wheel after all!!

Aaah, Martin Weigold's current GTD (as long as he
hasn't sold it.

I wish I could have bought it when he was thinking
about letting it go last year ...

Ian

[ QUOTE ]
Below is my old car with 302 engine.

6gtd22.jpg

[/ QUOTE ]

JohnC

Missing a few cylinders
Lifetime Supporter
Re: Engine choice

Hello everyone, first post here, so please try to be gentle.....

Someone asked about the Lexus V8 and I can share a few tidbits about these. They're really lovely motors, with the 1UZ (4.0l) and 3UZ (4.3l) versions being the all aluminum models for the Lexus, while the 2UZ (4.7l) cast iron block motor is the powerplant for the Toyota Tundra. They all share common characteristics like DOHC, with 4 valves per cylinder, and the 1UZ's have six bolt mains, forged rods and cranks, and other desirable features. Core motors can usually be found on eBay for $500 or so, however aftermarket performance parts range from extremely expensive, to simply non-existant as this motor hasn't yet been "discovered" in the US, but is a common platform in Oz and NZ. I'm currently building a 1UZ version with an Eaton M112 supercharger for one of my Supras, and it's been an expensive proposition, as most of the go fast bits couldn't be bought, but had to be made.

I do have a question about another engine option for these cars - what about the 5.0l BMW aluminum V12? Are the engine bays large enough to accommodate a 29" long engine which is also about 25" high by 20-21" wide? I realise that the GT40 by definition is a Ford product, but there's just something magical about V12's.....

This is good information about the Lexus engines. I would like to know if all the Lexus V8 engines have the same bolt pattern for the bell housing. I have been asked to make an adaptor for one of these engines and I will need to know what bell housing pattern to use.

JohnC

Missing a few cylinders
Lifetime Supporter

Eric, there are already a number of adaptors on the market for the Lexus V8, so you may want to investigate some of these before reinventing the wheel.

Dellow and Castlemaine Rod Shop (now merged) offer a good selection of 1UZ adaptors and bellhousings for the Toyota and Tremec boxes: www.dellowauto.com.au

Dave Short of Countess Mouldings in NZ offers a complete 1UZ to Renault UN1 kit for midengine applications. http://www.countess.co.nz/index2.html

Just recently a 1UZ to 6spd Getrag 233 (AKA Toyota V160) adaptor has also been developed. See http://lextreme.com/forums and search on Getrag. Lots of good information on the Lextreme site.

John

Thanks John. I have been asked to do an adaptor for the Lexus to an Audi 6-speed. I will check with these guys and see what they have.

Back