F 5000, well sort of

Dave Bilyk

Dave Bilyk
Supporter
A great tribute to you John, I quietly watched this thread from the sidelines with great interest and admiration. The film encapsulates your and your cars story perfectly, it was magically done, and at the end when the car moved back into the picture on the wall, my heart skipped a beat and my eyes were wet. The whole story came together in that tiny moment.
So now whatcha gonna do buddy?

Lyndsey had enough film of it from practically day one to do a doco on the build, but for some reason known only to him he chose the "Black Dog" theme, not that I minded as we have a organisation down here called "Beyond Blue" a sort of life line for depression or the Black dog as its commonly known, and that's where he hopes to air it. I found the horrible thing about "the black dog", is you don't even realise its bitten you until its some times too late, I was very fortunate in having a friend like Dazza who could see what was happening and motivated me to get off my back side before it was to late, and used the 5000 as bait.
I will pass all your comments on to Lyndsey as i'm sure he will be chuffed to know he 's hit the spot, so to speak.

cheers John

Howard Jones

Supporter
Anybody who says "it all just goes together is either a liar or never built anything"

That one has become my personal motto, I'll never forget it. Why do we spend so much time building these cars we love? Why would you want one any other way, except to have built it yourself.

This car is among just a few that set my personal bar. The McLaren, from NZ, one or two T70s built on this site by hand, the F3L, and a 910 that lives around the corner from me are what drives me to try to do, what I need to learn how to do, first.

Great job. Now build another!

Hi John, I finally have had the signal strength and time to watch the Little Doco and I only whish it could have been longer. You are an inspiration to all of us that take up this madness. Your end result is what we are all striving to reach, thanks for the carrot that keeps me going.
Cheers Leon

Thanks mate glad you enjoyed it, and was great to catch up again, even for just a beer and a burger, all the best for 014

john

well they say all good things come to those who wait, so while I was up at the car this morning fitting the new gear shifter, that puts everything back where it should be in a normal H pattern, Randall came down with a disc with the in car footage from the first run at Lakeside, now in all fairness it was the cars very first run , so we had no reall knowledge of what it was going to act like, and Randall has never driven anything quicker than a Lotus 7 before so he was being cautious, but if you notice the revs went from 3000 to 4500 nearing the end of that run so he was getting there, I reckon he did bloody well considering.
any way here it is

Movie11_zps5cadc71f.mp4 Video by Monty155 | Photobucket

cheers John

Yesterday was our first meeting for the new year held at Queensland raceway, I managed to cadge another drive, a bit rusty and the pedals and seat are set up for Randell who's about 6"shorter than me, so I was having a little bother but still had a shite load of fun heres a cut down to 10min vid of my session

QR 6th feb 2014 - YouTube

cheers John

Last edited:
Looks like you had a heap of fun, Apears to steer real nice , not a lot of work required, How is the gear box as far ratio's go, does it stay nice on the power or is it a bit wide in the gears, hard to see in the Video but what rpm were you pulling past the start/finish tower. Cheers Leon

Hi leon, yes the ratios are a bit wide, but for $600 beggars cant be choosers, but it has enough torque to pull any corner in any gear as I found out,
I pulled 6500 in 5th a couple of times, approx. 250km, but mainly changed at 6000 that was quick enough around the 225ks, the wheel alignment made a hell of a difference, it didn't like having toe out on the rear, now that's gone it a totally different car to drive.
and yeh it was a heap of fun, it pulls so hard In 3rd you really use the head rest, and a couple of times I got on the gas a bit early coming onto the start finish straight in 3rd and got wheel spin.
cheers John

Hows Randell going in it starting to get the hang of it now, I didn't want to say but the rev counter seemed to go around a lot further than the first video. I'm jelous, I,d love to get in that thing. Cheers Leon

Hi Mate, yep he's geting much better, on his first session he was averaging 68's the next time out was 66's and the last two he was doing 65's consistently lap after lap, and the seats still not quite right for him, I reckon once I get the seat right he will be nudging 60 dead with out to much bother, I did a couple of 58's trying to catch Phil in the blue car and eased off some of the way, so it has the potential.
cheers John

Oh and I just watched the Picture on the Wall short. I gotta say I relate to all you said with my build.

-Ben

Hi Ben Yep Fran has the rights to build it now, so if you want the thrill of a life time give him a call. you wont regret it.

cheers John

John, how did I miss that video!
Great story and the car does look fantastic, looking forward to catching up.
Cheers
Russell

Back