F1 2008

Well damn.... who'd have thought it Fernando!!!

Ferrari need to dump that light system they have, it's rubbish...... i thought it was a bit harsh to make Massa serve a drive through penalty... when he was already last, and had spent an extra couple of hours in the pits while they tried to remove the fuel rig!!.. frankly it was more like send in the clowns at the ferrari pit.

I suppose it's the FIA trying to prove that there is not favouritism.

Looks like Nakajima has moved on from planing bumper cars... now he's in to drifting, should be the rears giving the smoke though Naka!!!

I wonder if McLaren will object to Alonso's 1st lap corner cut that gained him about 2 places?
That would be interesting..............................;-)

Pat Buckley

GT40s Supporter
David,

I think Alonzo's attempted blackmail of McClaren was despicable beyond belief - so anything that would make his life harder would be fine with me.

Pat

Russ Noble

GT40s Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
Ferrari, the FIA can't help you now.....Well, although an aetheist, I'm beginning to think there is a God afterall!!

Pete McCluskey.

Lifetime Supporter
Singapore under lights novel, but once again we seem to have a circuit where the only place to pass is in the pits. :embarassed:

Question:
with all the wonderful tracks we have in Europe (and I think at ALL british soo fast tracks, or French ones.....or simply our Mugello in Tuscany)and also in US, Australia and Japan (motegi, suzuka..)...why the hell do we need a so UGLY track as new singapore is??
Wasnt enough to make a Silverstone by night?....
Gimme five also for the genius drawing new ugly Valencia..

Always better uncle Bernie...

Ian Anderson

Lifetime Supporter
I vote for a F1 race to be held on the full Le Mans Circuit!

Lets see how long the highly tuned engines last on the long straights!

Ian

"No prejudice here old boy" says our European Reporter

Hohohohohohoho!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Oh dear oh dear oh dear, ain’t it a shame<?xml:namespace prefix = v ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:vml" /><v:shapetype id=_x0000_t75 stroked="f" filled="f" path="m@4@5l@4@11@9@11@9@5xe" o:preferrelative="t" o:spt="75" coordsize="21600,21600"> </v:shapetype>
<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com
P><P><FONT color=
<st1:place w:st="on">Massa is</st1:place> to be awarded the win and Kimi to get second for trying really hard in the last 10 laps (again)."

Even Mr Wippy can’t get them out of this one<o:p></o:p>
<o:p></o:p>
<o:p></o:p>
John<o:p></o:p>

Last edited:
Wow, I feel like a long tail cat in a room full of rocking chairs.

As I take a break from crying in my cup, I have to say: despite the difficulty passing, which everyone knew would be the case, I simply thought the entire event was stunning. I know many wish formula one was more like GP2, but personally I disagree. It's hard to have your cake and eat it too (allow significant manufacturer input and have a driver's series).

The track was certainly amazing to see, the lighting was quite an achievement. Watching Nico try to pass Truli made it look as if passing was going to be absolutely impossible, but ultimately his move was worth the wait. And did anyone notice Fred's subsequent pass? What took Nico 8 laps took Alonso some 8 corners, and was a fantastic bit of driving. I was please to see him pull off what I feel was a well-deserved win.

I am obviously a big tifosi, but my team has been an embarrassment this year, and it's truly a wonder they haven't killed anyone. What a debacle, and what a let down for Massa, who was driving brilliantly. Even Kimi was reeling in your golden boy when Nelson through in his wrench. I think Ross Brawn may have been more important to Ferrari than Schumy, and if someone doesn't start clunking some heads, it is not going to get any better.

Sorry, but despite Hammy's unquestioned talent as a driver, he is so smarmy and arrogant that both my wife and I just keep our fingers crossed that we don't have to listen to him in the interview room. Anybody else, anybody at all. I think my wife hates him more than me, and since she actually watches F1 with me now (priceless) no one's going to dig him out of that hole at our house :)

Keith

I think my wife hates him more than me, and since she actually watches F1 with me now (priceless) no one's going to dig him out of that hole at our house :)

Eh? How can you hate someone you don't know?:huh:

But I do agree, the Singapore gig was well worth watching and if the time difference suits the boys in charge of TV broadcasts, perhaps all the far east races will go the same way (at night) except Japan perhaps.

I would hate that...:blank:

Eh? How can you hate someone you don't know?:huh:

OK, we don't actually HATE him, I mean, I don't actually wish misfortune on him or anything like that. Well, unless it involves his engine exploding.

I don't like his attitude, perception or not, he comes across as extremely arrogant. Fans will say that it is to be expected, that every champion must be "self confident" but none of the other drivers seem to be the same. Alonso wiped the floor with Ferrari and he never seemed pompous to me.

I was a Hammy fan when he hit the scene, but the first season with Alonso he rubbed me the wrong way. Even if he were to come in and be significantly better than Alonso there was still a level of respect that should have been there. Let's face it, regardless of Hamilton's skill, Alonso is a 2x world champ, and known to be good at helping to develop a car. No one can tell me that Hamilton could not have taken something away from working with his teammate for one stinking season. Some people will say that Alonso was being a baby, but I disagree. I think it was an impatient Hamilton expecting the world to be handed to him immediately. And the infighting cost him and McLaren the championship.

If he wins this year, it will be because Ferrari has made so many stupid mistakes. But I am sure he and his followers will see it differently.

Malcolm

Supporter
The race reminded me of CART street racing ie no run off areas. That spices it up as safety car periods bunches the field up so preventing run away winners. Night or day made no difference to me except I didn't need to video it to watch it. That doesn't make me watch or not watch a race.

The circuit layout was not inspiring with only one regular overtake point = boring to watch. FA only overtook quickly after NR as NR worked out the spot and FA copied the move without having to work it out himself. But FA did well to win and nice to have another winner this year.

LH clearly is wiser this year as he settled for 3rd. Shame as it would have been good to see him overtake NR as he did DC, that was a ballsy move.

I think it right Massa got penalised, not for the fuel hose incident (that should be a team fine not a driver penalty if one is to be dished out), but for driving into the path of another car in the pits. But I picked up that the fuel man turned the lights green, which is fine for saying fuel all in, but rubbish for saying pit lane clear to go out into! A team lollipop man must release the car as the final say so. Sticking to manual release clearly is safer for now.

Overall though, not really a night race as the track was brilliantly lit. Le Mans is a night race. Having raced myself at night in both karts and cars, driving from a lit area into the dark is quite something and completely changes the racing. Your depth of field just goes out the window and adds a certain spice to the driving! I liked the added sparkle the lighting gave to the cars and the exhaust flame outs etc but I still don't fancy stopping off in Singapore longer than I have to on my way down to Australia.

Back