F1 in 2013

Keith

I don't think it's heartburn so much as our natural affiliation with the 'underdog' and the desire for a level playing field.

There's no doubt that Vettel is the real deal - we just don't like Marko's sticky hands in the outcomes to the inevitable disadvantage of MW, plus, as Pete alludes to, the notorious Multi 21 which led to the less than graceful booing outbreaks.

Keith

Another Reason Why I do not particularly care for Lewis Hamilton...

(Remember it started (for me) when, after being penalised by the Stewards for an 'unfair' decision, he said: "Is it because I'm black?"

And now, this very day: "Lots of places say it, but in America everything really is bigger and better - cars, food, everything!"

Well it might well be, but it isn't - nowhere is THE BEST - we're all different thank goodness..

Dumb cluck never seems to put his mouth in gear before accelerating.

Pete McCluskey.

Lifetime Supporter
Poor Valsecchi didnt read the fine print.

Attachments

• 1394068_537521679658257_1805874653_n.jpg
    1394068_537521679658257_1805874653_n.jpg
    21.3 KB · Views: 238

Keith

As a well known media cynic I would like to offer a comment here Pete. I believe that whatever you might read, Perez had no option but to leave. I do not believe that he was fired or that he resigned. Reading between the lines I think Carlos Slim reneged on his sponsorship deal for whatever reason and a chunk of money that was expected to come from Mex Telecom or whatever, simply has not materialised leaving McLaren in a bit of a hole.

Think also that there will certainly be no Mexican GP in 2014 either as was strongly suggested. Are these events linked? You betcha! (IMO of course)

Consider a "major sponsorship announcement" scheduled for 6th December now cancelled until the New Year - this news ahead of the Perez announcement.

You could say that this was as a result of McLarens firing of Perez, but I do not think so - I truly believe Slim has pulled out, for whatever reason, perhaps because the GP did not come off. You may also notice that Gutierrez (Sauber) has likewise not appeared to have received the benefit of Slim's money.

It is my considered opinion that McLaren had no choice to act that way because of a broken contract and that Perez was a net victim of that breach. I further do not believe that appointing Magnusson was their first and ideal choice either, but that they had to do something because next year will be difficult enough as it is.

Of course, it is certain that I am wrong as nothing can or will be proven, but following analysis of spoken words, bullshit and body language, that is my take.

As for Valsecchi, he is nothing more than a victim of timing. Lotus desperately need the cash from WCC, so they have elected to run with a race proven option - a big gamble for 2 races, but no where near as much of a gamble as running a rookie without so much as a F1 race wheel turned in anger. You will also know by now, that Hulkenburg turned down these last two races.

THAT was the shrewdest move of the year as it could prove a career killer, rather than the career maker as it appears to be...

As for Heikki, well, has he still GOT a career as such?

Keith

Wanna know what's wrong with F1?

Pit Lane Communications that's what. The 'engineers' are telling the drivers how to drive so much now, that they (the drivers) are no longer making decisions for themselves. Hamilton was one of the worst offenders at COTA, continuously asking the Pit Wall for answer to: oversteer, understeer, KERS use, brake balance, differential setting, blue flag situations.

Cut off the radio transmissions I say and let the drivers manage their own cars. This technology is 'ham(!)stringing' driver skill.

Here is the radio transcript from the Parade Lap:

Lap* From To Message PR Lewis Hamilton Peter Bonnington My brake pedal’s quite soft. A little long. PR Peter Bonnington Lewis Hamilton OK, copy that Lewis. No more brake-throttle overlap to warm the brakes, just normal stops. PR Guillaume Rocquelin Sebastian Vettel And cool the car, Sebastian. PR Guillaume Rocquelin Sebastian Vettel No additional procedeure. Just back of the grid, P1, P0. PR Simon Rennie Mark Webber OK, there will be no bite points at the back of the grid. Just go to P1 for ten seconds, then P0 please. PR Felipe Massa Rob Smedley The KERS is not working, too much gripping. PR Rob Smedley Felipe Massa Yeah, we know this. We’ll have a look and see what we do for the real start. We obviously will have a better idea once we’re on the grid as well. PR Rob Smedley Felipe Massa OK mate, so cooling the car down now please. PR Nico Hulkenberg Marco Schupbach Someone needs to clean my visor on the outside. It’s a bit dirty here. I need a clean. PR Nico Rosberg Tony Ross I’m just not sure if stopping early is the way to go now with these temperatures, you know? Maybe a lot of people are going to go into [distorted] by the end of the race. [Distorted] PR Tony Ross Nico Rosberg Affirm Nico. I think the best thing would be to go to around lap 15 and let you know. As it is at the moment we’ll see how the degredation is in the first stint, but my tendancy is to agree with you. Let’s look after those. Nico, come to the car but I;d still say we do as we discussed. On the opening laps it’s important to be aggressive but after that looking after the tyres. PR Dave Robson Jenson Button Jenson as you’d expect track temperature is rising, obviously not one o-clock yet and already it’s 37 degrees and on the way up so I think we can expect over the next hour or so it’s going to get well above 40. So I think the plan should work quite well. PR ? Giedo van der Garde We don’t do the clutch scrub on the grid. So we just do the launch. And it should be now toggle up, mixture one, KERS one and the clutch should be set eight and [distorted] the pit limiter just before the start. [Distorted]. The after 18 and after 19 rolling bite point find. So we do the two rolling bite point find after 18 and 19. [Distorted]. PR Lewis Hamilton Peter Bonnington You guys have prepared the tyres differently, right? I’m hoping the race will be different because the track’s completely different to the rest of the weekend. The rears are going to be a killer today. Don’t be surprised if it’s a two-stop. Jock, what do you think I should do with the differential? PR Jock Clear Lewis Hamilton I’m happy with the settings you’ve got at the moment, Lewis, which is… PR Lewis Hamilton Jock Clear What about the trouble we had through turn four? Was a little bit oversteery through there. PR Jock Clear Lewis Hamilton A little oversteery through five, six and seven, yeah? PR Lewis Hamilton Jock Clear The second two laps or more oversteer. Six was fine, seven was oversteery. Five was oversteery. PR Jock Clear Lewis Hamilton Affirm. In which case, can we go to diff init seven… PR Lewis Hamilton Jock Clear Also turn 19. PR Jock Clear Lewis Hamilton Yeah, so diff init eight, please. Diff init eight. That will give you a much more consistent front through three, four, five, six, seven and nineteen. I’m happy with the others but, as I say, just looking at – so limiter on, please, limiter on soon as you start – looking at dialling in as much understeer as you can live with, really.

The rest of the race is a lot more of the same. Grosjean and Alonso (in Italian) are notable exceptions as they do not use the radio much either way. At one point Daniel Ricciardo says "No more Radio please"

Just too much instruction going on - what do they pay these guys for?

Keith

Everyone tuned in for Brazil? I think it will be the best race of the year - as usual. Don't forget to say goodbye to NA motors but, such is the nature of F1, they may be back.

Personally, I have always liked turbocharging - free horsepower and with today's electronics, anything is possible.

What will the cars look like next year?

Found this video highlighting the differences:

F1 2014: The New Rules

Terry Oxandale

Skinny Man
Obviously I don't know anything about suspensions, but at least the new car looks like it has a front suspension that makes some sense. Thanks for the link.

Keith

Ok, if I hear ANYONE else mention that Massa continually "took one for the team" I am going to contact the Gay Rights Movement! :furious:

Close second interminable interviews about Webber & Vettel's "relationship"
Right, ok, Gay Rights for them too..:shocked:

David Morton

Lifetime Supporter
Swat bin goin roun man. A bully dog, gltitzy ear drops, anna pussycat doll is all bling bling innit. But wait - there might be another who punts the punt at the wrong end. A high profile ginger beer to boot.
Is nothing sacred..............................
Its a choice though. (So I was told).

Back