F1 in 2014.

Sick, of the rule changes
Sick, of the politics
Sick, of the all electronic cars
Sick, of the organizers
Sick, of the egotistical (all but few) drivers
Sick, of the piss poor TV coverage

And the list goes on...

Is there a pill to make it better? Keith, help!

Larry L.

Lifetime Supporter
Ya know, Jack, I've always wondered why I liked you! Now I think I know at least ONE of the reasons!

L.

Pete McCluskey.

Lifetime Supporter
I have always thought and have said so previously that F1 should be formula libre, anything goes and the only rules should be because of safety. They banned fuel stops because of safety and now limit the amount of fuel, nothing more than pandering to the green lobby.
As are hybrid cars. Forget all that shit and build the quickest car you can and go for it.

Malcolm

Supporter
They were able to coast to the braking point of a corner and then take the corner normally without losing any time over a more conventional approach. It's a whole different ball game with these cars.

If you lift off in a F1 car you typicaly lose 20 mph due to drag instanty. Maybe they balance the throttle to coast? However if they balance or lift they are not accelerating. Agree the time loss won't be massive but it will be slower and is not full on racing in my view.

Agree the engineering is phenomenal in F1 but it so looked like a support race to me. The cars need to look and sound like they are on the edge of exploding but the drivers are just keeping them in check. For the bits the public actually sees the series is now lame.

Keith

I think at least one of them did explode after 2 laps! (Hamilton - holed piston). Running the fuel a bit lean I would think. Funny, no visible smoke?

There was nothing like a turbo motor blow out in the '80's!

And some of JB's more spectacular Honda failures in the BAR still make my eyes water.

If you lift off in a F1 car you typicaly lose 20 mph due to drag instanty. Maybe they balance the throttle to coast? However if they balance or lift they are not accelerating. Agree the time loss won't be massive but it will be slower and is not full on racing in my view.

Agree the engineering is phenomenal in F1 but it so looked like a support race to me. The cars need to look and sound like they are on the edge of exploding but the drivers are just keeping them in check. For the bits the public actually sees the series is now lame.

+1

Is it not the KERS that kicks in the second they jump off the throttle that gives them the equivalent of brakes ?

Bob

Keith

Retardation also promoting harvesting? Interesting, and very possibly. It's going to take some grey matter to get the best out of these cars and to me, that's one of the attractions.

Not being particularly cerebral myself, it's a quality I greatly admire in others.

Malcolm

Supporter
I think at least one of them did explode after 2 laps! (Hamilton - holed piston). Running the fuel a bit lean I would think. Funny, no visible smoke?

There was nothing like a turbo motor blow out in the '80's!

And some of JB's more spectacular Honda failures in the BAR still make my eyes water.

if you have a holed piston you would get smoke. Can't be avoided. Maybe they stopped him to prevent the holed piston, after all the radio traffic did mention "we need to save the engine".

Agree the retardation is being harvested. All very clever electronics. This Friday I have entered an electronic race car event. Slot car racing. I will probably stay awake during this race....

The engine exhaust sound is similar to the Japanese tuner cars with a large can on the tip that the kids drive. The engines sound like the Audi diesel engines used at Le Mans (purring). Much noise and little go. Now to 'go green' with 1.6 L engines the teams pay more for the smaller size. Where are the cost savings? Bring back the V10s. They are losing me.

Keith

Think of the emerging markets and see where they're going. I'm afraid the 21st Century consumers know (or care little) for outmoded naturally aspirated V8's let alone the noise they make except for an idle curiosity.

The so-called 'big noise' of F1 is at best only 25 years old, the ubiquitous V8 Cosworth, one of the winningest F1 engines ever, was quite a tame sound revving to 10,500 rpm (on a good day). Ferrari was always the noisiest with their beautiful V12's.

The new F1 represents the future of automotion.

If you were at the trackside in Melbourne, you would have heard the gut wrenching shrieking of tyres rapid barking downshift and the moan and whistle of the ERS and turbo. Quite a cacophony of interesting noises, just maybe not loud enough. I still think they're only using 75% revs though.

We all like the pops bangs and thunder of traditional ICE, so we have a growing number of classic events to satisfy that need, and, unfortunately, a growing number of tracks that cannot or will not hold 'open exhaust' meetings because of local Environment considerations. Like it or not, your neighbourhood WILL get quieter.

No, on balance I would say that for all the direction that F1 has taken, is a good one for future proofing the genre, and us old redneck shade tree wrenchers had better either get used to it, or turn our back on it.

The choice is clear.

Bet you they will make them 'noisier' though!

What was your favourite engine sound? Didn't like the gruff Merc and favoured the Renault slightly over the Ferrari.

Who would have thought it?

Edit: For sure (term temporarily borrowed from F Massa), for our American friends, I'm afraid I do not believe this spectacle, in the current format, will stack up well at COTA.

Ian Anderson

Lifetime Supporter
I have heard that they are also using the turbos on overrun to power the "Kers" - makes sense as they hammer down through the gears the air oump (engine) spins the turbo and generated elastic trickery.

And to be real clever they also then reverse the system and electrically spin the turbo back up to speed so there is little turbo lag

Ian

Malcolm

Supporter
Agree Keith, it was very weird to hear squealing tyres during the race. I know it has always been there but never heard it before over other sounds going on.

Keith

As usual you have to go abroad (from UK) to get more facts, and where else, but from Germany.

Apparently, the issue of the sensors has been rumbling on since pre-season testing. All the teams were aware of it and despite the grumblings, the teams agreed to set the fuel flow at a rate that came within the FIA homologated sensor's designed parameter, in other words, apply an FIA mandated offset. This was well know BEFORE the race, and all teams with the exception of one, complied. Want to guess who that was?

It seems that this was a deliberately pre-planned and pre-rehearsed scenario so that Red Bull could challenge the FIA at Appeal. If this is indeed the case, which looks increasingly likely, then Red Bull are not only guilty of a flagrant breach of the F1 Technical Regulations, but they have knowingly and unforgivably gambled with Ricciardo's F1 career on his home turf.

I hope I am wrong on this, but I have a feeling that RB is, and not for the first time, flexing their muscles and trying to run the sport their way.

The FIA are correct to be tough over this.

Keith

Camshaft from Renault 'Energy' F1 motor.

Check out the ramps!

It's an open and shut case your honour...

Thanks for posting the video Keith. By COTA, the sounds will be "familiar" to those in the stands. Last year, there were fewer curious NASCAR fans I believe.

I at least like the impressive torque output :thumbsup:

Back