Finally a GT40!

Michael Holmes

Lifetime Supporter
Greetings,
I've been a Shelby enthusiast for many years and have been driving both street and race GT350's (albeit replicas) I spent the last 3 years building this R Model replica R013 but have always had my eye out for a GT. Well thanks to Bill Pinzini I know have my car.

http://racingdivision.com/GT40

I will be doing minor updates to the car as time goes by.

Oh I went to the DMV today and got my SB100 number, first try!

Michael
President, Racing Division Inc

Jim Craik

Lifetime Supporter
Michael,

Welcome That is a real beauty, I love the Black!

That's great about the SB100, I had to sit in front of the DMV all night!

Congrats Michael & welcome to the forum. Your car looks great and I bet you'll have a lot of fun in it.

Michael Holmes

Lifetime Supporter
Will be commuting to work in it today, my studio is in El Segundo a half mile from the beach, i do believe this calls for a coast drive.

Michael: Verrrrry nice car!!!...............Do you still have the GT350's? I had a clone '65 R model and #1100 '67. Really mis the '65, just to take it out on the back roads and run the crap out of it when ever the erge hit. Didn't have to kick the dog when I got home from work at night with that car around...........................Have fun with the GT........................

Chuck

Supporter
Michael:

Seems we share a common interest. RCR GT 40 and 65 Mustang GT 350 (albeit not an R model).

The Mustang restoration was finished about three months ago and has 2500 miles already. Driving the GT is nearly always a great experience and it also has about 2500 miles. You will enjoy the GT.

That black finish looks particularly stunning.

Welcome to the club !

Chuck

Attachments

• MustangGTOct2010C.jpg
    MustangGTOct2010C.jpg
    234 KB · Views: 333

Michael Holmes

Lifetime Supporter
Yes it is a RCR, getting pretty familiar with it as I put a couple hundred miles on it since last night. Yes it was Bill's car. All I will say, as I haven't spoken with Bill regarding making our arrangement public but let's say he has the car he has always wanted in his garage as I do as well.

Thanks for all the kind words and support. I plan on making some updates to the car in time. I love the look of the street cars a bit more than the race cars. The car will have black CA plates soon, will put in the door latches to make it a bit easier to open from inside, would even like narrower wheels then the 8" and 10". Just love to see the fenders sitting over the tires a bit more.

Got my eye on a set of webers...

Michael Holmes

Lifetime Supporter
Michael:

Seems we share a common interest. RCR GT 40 and 65 Mustang GT 350 (albeit not an R model).

The Mustang restoration was finished about three months ago and has 2500 miles already. Driving the GT is nearly always a great experience and it also has about 2500 miles. You will enjoy the GT.

That black finish looks particularly stunning.

Welcome to the club !

Chuck

Super nice pair of beauties.

Seymour Snerd

Lifetime Supporter
The car will have black CA plates soon...
Can you tell me more about that? I knew (by word of mouth) that there's a process for black-plate era cars to wear them "officially" but assume it requires the car to be registered under a model year within the corresponding range. Is that how yours is registered?

Michael Holmes

Lifetime Supporter
My assumption is that since the car will be a 65 reg then I can wear the YOM year of make plates. It's a little extra but the car would look better wearing SPD 215 in black and gold rather thana random set of numbers and letters, I'll let you know how it goes.

Seymour Snerd

Lifetime Supporter
My assumption is that since the car will be a 65 reg then I can wear the YOM year of make plates. It's a little extra but the car would look better wearing SPD 215 in black and gold rather thana random set of numbers and letters, I'll let you know how it goes.

That's what I thought. My SPF wil be registered as a "SPCN" which means its model year is 2010 so I don't get to do that. Although of course I can go have a black plate made, put it on the car, and then see exactly what it is I get a ticket for.... :)

Michael Holmes

Lifetime Supporter
Alan, looking back at my docs i think mine is going to be the same, just smog exempt. Oh well. Maybe I will do a "historic car" plate.

Michael Holmes

Lifetime Supporter
The process has been interesting to say the least.

DMV:
I had knowledge that there were still quite a few numbers left (CHP & DMV via phone) so I took my paperwork (statement of facts, bill of sale and MSO along with my check book and was first in line. Upon entering I was given a number and when called to the first counter was told that SB100 was only on Jan 1, I replied no not true, it was until all numbers were gone, they replied we have no numbers, I then asked for someone who had done this before. I finally got the manager who filled out my paperwork, took my money and gave me a SB100 number.

CHP:
Knowing that the CHP is going to do a VIN check and that the car did not have a VIN, I took the liberty to stamp the MSO number it two places appropriate for a VIN. Once at the CHP they asked to see the VIN, I showed them, and ten minutes later has my signed docs.

Brake & Light:
After calling around in my area I found several companies capable of doing the Brake & Light inspection, but all wanted specs on brake pads, calipers and the like. Luckily on a visit to Superformance, Lance told me of the guy they use, who upon a ten minute visit, I again left with the needed paperwork.

BAR:
Being the last item I thought everything was sewn up, not the case. After the referee looked at my paperwork he asked, "so this car has never been registered?" No. "you bought this car complete" Yes, "then you can't use the SB100 process and it has to be registered as a 2011" GULP! He left the area to call Sacramento and to discuss with his supervisor. I called Bill, the seller and discussed my impending doom. When the referee returned he told that since the car was complete it made Bill a manufacturer, I objected to that notion and told him that the car was built for personal use and sold out of hardship. Back on the phone to Sacramento. He came back and told me if I could get more information that would back up that statement he would tag my car. The next day I arrived with documents that stated just what I had told him, with dated 2007 photos, signed affidavit and a prayer. He took my 8.25 and put his BAR sticker on the car.

DMV:
Next stop for my plates.

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
Congratulations on your purchase Michael...

The car is a beauty for sure - almost menacing looking....

Hard to tell by the pictures - but you might want to think about installing safety wire on those Knock-Off spinners..

Enjoy your GT40!

Back