Fire supression systems....who has em??

Rob

Lifetime Supporter
The guy who bought my last car sent me this picture last night..... it kinda got me thinkin....
So, wanted to throw some Q's out to the group.
1) Who has fire systems installed?
2) What system is it?
3) What was the cost?
4) Preferred system (type not brand)?
5) Preferred brand?

(Fortunately this wasn't his car, but got him thinking too.)

Thanks,

Attachments

• 75243-Coupeonfire.jpg
    75243-Coupeonfire.jpg
    29.2 KB · Views: 354
I have a SafeCraft 10lb Halon with nozzles upwind of the engine, fuel pump, & fuel cell. I got the system in a group purchase on Club Cobra for around $350.00. Hopefully I will never have to use it but that picture scares hell out of me!

I have the same system, plumbed into the engine compartment and fuel cell pods. I have a 5 lb seperate bottle with foam for inside the drivers compartment.

Re: Fire suppression systems....who has em??

I have a halon system . I was able to put the bottle under the seat.2 nozzles, one in passengers comp. and one in engine bay. It really doesn't matter too much which way the nozzle is pointed. The compartment is flooded instantly. Dave,what was your thinking behind the foam for the passenger compartment? It seem mighty messy as well as making it very difficult to see what you need to see when exiting a burning car.
Bill

Pete McCluskey.

Lifetime Supporter

The use of Halon has been banned in Australia for about ten years (tree huggers /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/banghead.gif)Maybe some Aussies out there know of an efficient alternative system?

David Morton

Lifetime Supporter

I have 5kg halon for the engine bay and 2.5kg for the cabin. The engine bay nozzles are in fact a long aluminium tube centally arranged around the Webers with holes drilled and the ends of the tube stopped up with weld. On the picture below you can see this arrangement just behind the rearmost Webers with a Blue coloured Earls fitting leading to it and a braided hose on the other side. Both squibs currently fire togeteher though I may seperate them to operate independantly. Additionally, I have a dry powder in the door pocket. Pete - as yet there is still nothing to match HALON (bromodifluoromethane). What suprises me is that nobody has thought about a fire wire detection system.

Attachments

• 75269-006.jpg
    75269-006.jpg
    155.1 KB · Views: 293

Any of you with Halon systems would not be allowed to race in GB or Europe. They are banned.

GTa.

The SPA 4 ltr. foam units are available at a good price from bimmerworld
It is the same unit that RF supplies as an option. I have installed one in my kit in progress and it was easy to work with.Includes bracket, bottle, lines, and six nozzles, and two pull handles. They also have the electrically fired models too. Dan

Attachments

• 75275-P2040003a.jpg
    75275-P2040003a.jpg
    146.5 KB · Views: 323

David Morton

Lifetime Supporter

Graham, are they banned or not allowed to be used in competition ? Hypothetical Question - say if a guy turned up for scrutineering with AFFF foam system installed and in addition had a BCF Halon hand held securely installed as well, he will pass scrutineering.?
The RAC blue book does not seem to cover additional equipment installed but not required for competition.
Dave M

Pete,
I'll give you my opinion from my IT Security angle that I do... We mandate that if you have a full flood CO2 system in the Computer rooms, then there HAS to be aqualungs at preset intervals all around the room. I'm sure I don't need to explain why. I wouldn't like to see both the fire and you put out...

Brett

David Morton

Lifetime Supporter

Peter,
Lengthy read and as you are about to retire for the evening
print it off and read in bed....... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/zzzzz.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/zzzzz.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/zzzzz.gif
Basically Foam and CO2 are for two totally different fire types - We got training every 12 months in BA actually operating the various extinguishers on live fires. Don't really know if Easyjet, Ryanair, Ozjet do that sort of thing but I digress.
Here is a descriptive web site comparing various types:

Fire Extinguisher Types (What Kind do I use?)
Fire Extinguisher Types

With so many fire extinguishers to choose from, selecting the proper one for your home can be a daunting task. Everyone should have at least one fire extinguisher at home, but it's just as important to ensure you have the proper type of fire extinguisher. Fire protection experts recommend one for the kitchen, the garage and workshop.

Fire extinguishers are divided into four categories, based on different types of fires. Each fire extinguisher also has a numerical rating that serves as a guide for the amount of fire the extinguisher can handle. The higher the number, the more fire-fighting power. The following is a quick guide to help choose the right type of extinguisher.

Class A extinguishers are for ordinary combustible materials such as paper, wood, cardboard, and most plastics. The numerical rating on these types of extinguishers indicates the amount of water it holds and the amount of fire it can extinguish.
Class B fires involve flammable or combustible liquids such as gasoline, kerosene, grease and oil. The numerical rating for class B extinguishers indicates the approximate number of square feet of fire it can extinguish.
Class C fires involve electrical equipment, such as appliances, wiring, circuit breakers and outlets. Never use water to extinguish class C fires - the risk of electrical shock is far too great! Class C extinguishers do not have a numerical rating. The C classification means the extinguishing agent is non-conductive.
Class D fire extinguishers are commonly found in a chemical laboratory. They are for fires that involve combustible metals, such as magnesium, titanium, potassium and sodium. These types of extinguishers also have no numerical rating, nor are they given a multi-purpose rating - they are designed for class D fires only.

Some fires may involve a combination of these classifications. Your fire extinguishers should have ABC ratings on them.

Here are the most common types of fire extinguishers:

Water extinguishers or APW extinguishers (air-pressurized water) are suitable for class A fires only. Never use a water extinguisher on grease fires, electrical fires or class D fires - the flames will spread and make the fire bigger! Water extinguishers are filled with water and pressurized with oxygen. Again - water extinguishers can be very dangerous in the wrong type of situation. Only fight the fire if you're certain it contains ordinary combustible materials only.
Dry chemical extinguishers come in a variety of types and are suitable for a combination of class A, B and C fires. These are filled with foam or powder and pressurized with nitrogen.
BC - This is the regular type of dry chemical extinguisher. It is filled with sodium bicarbonate or potassium bicarbonate. The BC variety leaves a mildly corrosive residue which must be cleaned immediately to prevent any damage to materials.
ABC - This is the multipurpose dry chemical extinguisher. The ABC type is filled with monoammonium phosphate, a yellow powder that leaves a sticky residue that may be damaging to electrical appliances such as a computer

Dry chemical extinguishers have an advantage over CO2 extinguishers since they leave a non-flammable substance on the extinguished material, reducing the likelihood of re-ignition.

Carbon Dioxide (CO2) extinguishers are used for class B and C fires. CO2 extinguishers contain carbon dioxide, a non-flammable gas, and are highly pressurized. The pressure is so great that it is not uncommon for bits of dry ice to shoot out the nozzle. They don't work very well on class A fires because they may not be able to displace enough oxygen to put the fire out, causing it to re-ignite.
CO2 extinguishers have an advantage over dry chemical extinguishers since they don't leave a harmful residue - a good choice for an electrical fire on a computer or other favorite electronic device such as a stereo or TV.

It is vital to know what type of extinguisher you are using. Using the wrong type of extinguisher for the wrong type of fire can be life-threatening.

These are only the common types of fire extinguishers. There are many others to choose from. Base your selection on the classification and the extinguisher's compatibility with the items you wish to protect.
When selecting the appropriate type of fire extinguisher, it is important to think about extinguishing agents. Each class of fire is best fought by a specific extinguishing agent. You will find a color-coded box on your fire extinguisher identifying which classes of fire it can be used for, and the type of fire extinguishing agent it contains.

The following is a list of commonly used fire extinguishing systems and their corresponding classes of fire. The classes are indicated in parentheses such as (A, B, C):

Multi-Purpose Dry Chemical (A, B, C)
A dry chemical agent called mono ammonium phosphate. The chemical is non-conductive and can be mildly corrosive if moisture is present. In order to avoid corrosion, it is necessary to scrub and thoroughly cleanup the contacted area once the fire is out. A dry chemical fire extinguisher is usually used in schools, general offices, hospitals, homes, etc.

Regular Dry Chemical (B, C)
A dry chemical agent called sodium bicarbonate. It is non-toxic, non-conductive and non-corrosive. It is easy to cleanup, requiring only vacuuming, sweeping or flushing with water. Extinguishers with sodium bicarbonate are usually used in residential kitchens, laboratories, garages, etc.

Carbon Dioxide (B, C)
Carbon dioxide removes oxygen to stop a fire but has limited range. It is environmentally friendly and leaves no residue, so cleanup is unnecessary. Extinguishers with carbon dioxide are usually used in contamination-sensitive places such as computer rooms, labs, food storage areas, processing plants, etc.

Halotron (A, B, C)
A vaporizing liquid that is ozone friendly and leaves no residue. Because it requires no cleanup, fire extinguishers with halotron are ideal for computer rooms, telecommunication areas, theaters, etc.

Foam (A, B)
Foam floats on flammable liquids to tame the fire and helps prevent reflashes. To cleanup the affected area, it must be washed away and left to evaporate. Fire extinguishers with foam are usually used in garages, homes, vehicles, workshops, etc.

Purple K Dry Chemical (B, C)
A dry chemical called potassium bicarbonate. It is non-conductive and non-corrosive. Clean up requires vacuuming, sweeping or flushing with water. Extinguishers with potassium bicarbonate are usually used in military facilities, oil companies, vehicles, etc.

Water (A)
The most common agent is water; however, it cannot be used for class B or C fires because it is conductive. Water-based fire extinguishers are usually used in stockrooms, schools, offices, etc.

Fuel Source Class of Fire Type of Extinguisher (Extinguishing Agent)
Ordinary combustibles
(e.g. trash, wood, paper, cloth) A Water; chemical foam; dry chemical*
Flammable liquids
(e.g. oils, grease, tar, gasoline, paints, thinners) B Carbon dioxide (CO2); halon**; dry chemical; aqueous film forming foam (AFFF)
Electricity
(e.g. live electrical equipment) C CO2; halon; dry chemical
Combustible metals
(e.g. magnesium, titanium) D Dry powder (suitable for the specific combustible metal involved)

* Dry chemicals, CO2 and halon can be used on Class A fires, but may not be effective on their own. They need to be supplemented with water.

** Halon extinguishers are no longer made but some may still be in use. Dangerous gases are formed when halon is used to put out fires. Wear proper respiratory equipment, particularly in enclosed spaces. After use, do not allow anyone to enter the area until it has been well ventilated.

Ron Earp

Admin

I've used the one Dan has is his photo, and I mean used it as in discharged it last year during a race with a fire (not in a GT40, a far MUCH easier to get in and out of). Had I not had the fire system in my race car (handhelds will get you past tech) I would have been injured, no doubt. To those thikning about tracking a GT40 without a system, not a good idea. In fact, I wouldn't drive one on the street without one either.

Ron

David Morton

Lifetime Supporter

A recent experience here :
Next door neighbour has one of these gross Dakar type BMW motorcycle which would not start. The AA came and got it going, but the guy next door had already gone to work in his car. The bike was parked under the front of the house in front of the garage and after the AA left, guess what?
Boom - up it went. Now, in the house were two small children, and two elderly grandparents but also in the house was not a single extinguisher.
Enter the hero - Matt - my daughters boyfriend - who did everthing absolutely by the book. Got the people out and away, tackled the blaze (now considerable - plastic guttering and woodwork around the bike now burning,with all the extinguishers from the ground floor of my house plus the one from one of our cars).
Moral 1 - insufficient extinguishers - The bike was a total
wreck and the front of the house around the garage was rebuilt. Moral 2. Let it burn. It's all replaceable.
Final analysis: Next door neighbour asked me to get quotes for replacing the extinguishers. He's an accuntant.
What a wanker.

David Morton

Lifetime Supporter

Sorry - spelled Accountant wrong but out of editing time. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/flamer.gif

Peter Delaney

GT40s Supporter

Brett - thanks ! - I was really only thinking of CO2 in the engine bay, not in the cabin (though there are people around here who might suggest that a cabin full of CO2 could not do any further damage to a brain that was already as far gone as mine) !! Since the demise of Halon, we tend to use Inergen here in big computer rooms (big as in budget & big as in space for the bottles).

David - yes, I was about to retire until I saw your post !
Bloody Hell - I didn't realise that there were so many options - so I am now sitting here with 2 portable extinguishers on my desk :

- one from the garage which reads "5-BC Dry Chemical Type, sodium bicarbonate"

- one from the car which reads "5B:(E) Dry Chemical Type"

The "5-BC" one seems to fit your "Regular Dry Chemical (B,C)" category, but I wonder what the "5B:(E)" one does ? (Maybe a new category E fire type has recently been invented) ??

Kind Regards,

Peter D.

David, ref the spelling, I think you probably got it right first time !! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Back