Fixing America’s Surface Transportation Act

<A href="http://docs.house.gov/billsthisweek/20151130/CRPT-114hrpt-HR22-NOCOVSIG.xml#HCBD578DA152244D0BDEC7EF1C42D030B" name=toc-HCBD578DA152244D0BDEC7EF1C42D030B>Interesting reading in SEC. 24405 of the act "Treatment of low-volume manufacturers". The act allows for certain exemptions in meeting US standards for a low volume producer (325 cars) of replica cars more than 25 years old.

Rick Muck- Mark IV

GT40s Sponsor
Supporter
"kit cars" will still be as is now. This bill allows small volume manufacturers (less than 5000 total per year per manufacturer) to build and sell emissions compliant "replicas" that will be exempted from FMVSS standards, i.e. airbags, etc. The vehicles must still be compliant with basic standards such as brake lines, lighting, etc.

This means you will eventually be able to purchase a "turn-key" Cobra replica powered by a Ford 5.0 coyote powertrain as used in the current Mustang. Also a GT40 with an emissions compliant engine.

"One of the more interesting sections is the Low Volume Motor Vehicle Manufacturers Act of 2015, which allows low-volume manufacturers to produce turnkey replicas whereas previously they could only sell rolling chassis and the end customer had to deal with much of the certification process depending on the state they lived in.

The new provision allows small manufacturers (less than 5,000 cars annually) to construct up to 325 replicas of a car that’s at least 25 years old. The replicas still require certification from the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration and Environmental Protection Agency, including passing current federal emissions rules, but they don’t have to meet crash safety standards or individual state pollution tests. Of course, the replicas are also subject to a license agreement for the intellectual property rights, so don’t expect to see a flood of them hit the market in the coming years."

(source: Signing Of Highway Bill A Boon For Replica Builders)

If I'm interpreting this correctly, this new law means that RCR could sell a complete turn-key RCR-40 right off the showroom floor, and possibly all of the non-superlite RCR products depending on how the law defines the term "car"(this is also assuming that RCR has the desire/ability/man-power to do full builds)! Exciting stuff...

Rick Muck- Mark IV

GT40s Sponsor
Supporter
Kyle D;484930 the replicas are also subject to a license agreement for the intellectual property rights said:
The manufacturer will need to license the IP. Superformance has done so with the "Cobras" via Shelby, the GT40 via Safir and the Grand Sport via GM. Of course something like the Cheetah will not require a license as the original manufacturer is no longer extant.

Fran Hall RCR

GT40s Sponsor
But.....any of the above cars will only be able to be built s turn key cars with a full EPA legal engines...the only engine package that meets this currently is the LS3 E rod...and it means no bundle of snakes exhaust either...only the as supplied approved exhaust with cats...
The paperwork needed to be a registered turnkey builder is quite intensive too and big brother can come calling anytime...
So while it looks like a good thing in the first instance, its actually very restrictive and wont really make much difference in our world of replicas for the discerning connoisseur.

Rick Muck- Mark IV

GT40s Sponsor
Supporter
But.....any of the above cars will only be able to be built s turn key cars with a full EPA legal engines...the only engine package that meets this currently is the LS3 E rod...and it means no bundle of snakes exhaust either...only the as supplied approved exhaust with cats...
The paperwork needed to be a registered turnkey builder is quite intensive too and big brother can come calling anytime...
So while it looks like a good thing in the first instance, its actually very restrictive and wont really make much difference in our world of replicas for the discerning connoisseur.

Actually everyone keeps saying the GM LS is "the only certified engine" but that is not the case. It is the only complete CRATE engine however call up Ford Power Products and ask for a Mustang "chassis drop" and you will get what you need. Granted Ford has not engineered a crate type of setup, but what you need for an EPA certified "piggyback" certification is available.

Fran Hall RCR

GT40s Sponsor
The engine has to be provided with full epa paperwork from the manufacturer
I just had dinner with a Ford engineer and didn't think the Ford package was.
Regardless do you want a coyote in your period correct GT?

In the case of Ford logic would suggest that if you have a late model mustang etc you must be able to obtain a compliant replacement, whether Ford can use a crate engine as a basis for that replacement will be the key element, however as your GT40, Cobra, whatever is unlikely to have an exhaust system that is compliant some proof of compliance will be reqd by the builder/owner.
Personally I think you were better off with what you had, this new legislation is the crack in the door for more rules etc as they see fit. You guys in the USA really don't realise how easy you have it and should be doing your utmost to preserve the status quo, a wheel can fall off a Honda Civic & nobody will even notice, have one fall off a car like any replica and it will be on the evening news with pic's, just another nail in the coffin so to speak for your hobby.

Rick Muck- Mark IV

GT40s Sponsor
Supporter
The engine has to be provided with full epa paperwork from the manufacturer
I just had dinner with a Ford engineer and didn't think the Ford package was.
Regardless do you want a coyote in your period correct GT?

Fran,

No, I don't but some will. Again, Ford Power Products sells packages that are not the same as Ford Racing crate engines. The crates are not EPA, the FPP are current production chassis drops.

We used the FPP drop and EPA "piggyback" cert on the AC MK IV. Required only a shed evap test and a "mini test" dyno confirmation. So long as we were within the allowable variances of axle ratio, weight and frontal area the EPA cert was easy. God bless Ann Arbor!

Fran Hall RCR

GT40s Sponsor
That's very different from how I read the current legislation but like everything I guess there's room for interpretation so long as the "car manufacturer" follows all the big brother rules and papertrails it may fly .

Personally I think you were better off with what you had, this new legislation is the crack in the door for more rules etc as they see fit. You guys in the USA really don't realise how easy you have it and should be doing your utmost to preserve the status quo, a wheel can fall off a Honda Civic & nobody will even notice, have one fall off a car like any replica and it will be on the evening news with pic's, just another nail in the coffin so to speak for your hobby.

While I do agree with you that the US may be easier in some respects as opposed to some countries, we have the national laws, and then we have rules state by state. What flies in one state will get you denied in another. It can be a crazy hodgepodge for home constructors, and good luck when you move to another state that has tougher rules and suddenly your car can no longer be licensed until you make it meet that states rules. In my state, whatever engine I use must have on all the emission equipment and meet all the emissions rules for that year it was manufactured, I can't just toss in an engine from an engine builder with aftermarket systems installed.

I like how the UK allows for these "shed" builders ie; Ariel Atom, BAC mono, Radical RXC to name a few to be street driven. Those cars are not even close to being street legal in the US and cannot be ever driven over here.

BAC mono and Radical RXC are street legal in the US. And there are a few currently licensed.
Is that recent? At least for the the BAC Mono, Sector111 say:
http://www.sector111.com/parts/track/sector111-art-car-specs/bac-mono.cfm/ said:
Sold as Track Use only
That could well be them covering themselves though.

In California, there are lots of dubiously-registered cars. Many are registered as 'original' cars (actually replicas) or as component cars. Component cannot have been built for resale. You have to be very careful, or it gets very expensive.

Howard Jones

Supporter
Jac is right again. Once it is possible to build complete cars without all the "safety equip and testing and sell them it will be a matter of time before someone stuffs themselves. Then the call will be to add the safety equip etc. "to save lives".

Just one more step to including the "kitcars" and home build's. Using the same logic.

The other problem is the smog compliance exemption. The newly legislated class of "replica" car manufactures will no longer see the home builder as a customer but rater a competitor. I can hear it now. "why do we need to use a expensive smog compliant crate motor when the home built can use a dirty 50 year old used motor.

This law is NOT a good thing for the shed builder. It will only be a matter of time before pressure to repeal laws like California's SB100 will begin to build and instead favor the new universal federal replica law.

I like the idea that individual states can enact laws that reflect their voters interests.

I think Howard has it right.

I'd assume, given the political climate here in Kalifornia, that the authorities will sooner or later respond with "well, since you can now power your climate-killing rich white protestant male toys with more environmentally friendly engines, there is no reason to let you use your archaic technology...No soup for you!!!"

In N. Michigan the popular thing now is making Polaris Rangers and like side by side ORV's street legal. It is easy here in MI.

BAC mono and Radical RXC are street legal in the US. And there are a few currently licensed.

I stand by my original statement, as purchased they are not street legal in the USA. They have no DOT approved equipment such as windshields, lights, safety belts, etc. Can you make them street legal? Probably, but expect to shell out quite a bit of money to do it. Also, do not try to import them as anything but a racecar. If you attempt to try to import them as a streetcar, expect huge piles of paperwork to satisfy the EPA and every other government agency before they will release the car to you.

I find it interesting that SEMA and a few other helped to get this new law through the process and all some can do is the usual doom and gloom.

I can see new morgan 4 wheelers again with ford powertrains.
Maybe some cobras, if its emissions compliant will the buyer care if its a Gm engine.

Rick Muck- Mark IV

GT40s Sponsor
Supporter
I can see new morgan 4 wheelers again with ford powertrains.
Maybe some cobras, if its emissions compliant will the buyer care if its a Gm engine.

The "only GM has a compliant powertrain" thing is WRONG!!! Only GM sells a RETAIL crate engine that INCLUDES the pieces needed to be EPA compliant. HOWEVER Ford Power Products (NOT "Ford Racing") sells to OEMs a compliant "chassis drop" setup that can be used by a manufacturer for installation to create an EPA certified vehicle.

You do not need to power "Cobra" or "GT40" with an LS to achieve EPA compliance! These chassis drops are not sold in the Ford Racing catalog, they are offered to manufacturers who inquire with Ford Power Products. https://www.fordpowerproducts.com/publicpower/home.do
and while they talk about "off-road" they do offer on road systems

Last edited:
Back