Flat plane crank in a SBF?

Paul,

Sorry to hear you're thinking of shelving the flat plane engine build for a while. I certainly understand the competing demands of family and business and how that can cut into the fun time for great projects like that. That's a beautiful crank and I'd buy it from you in a second except I'm looking to go with Ford for this engine as I'd like to be able to potentially put this engine in my GT40 if my open wheel/indy/F5000 track car project doesn't get into gear.

No doubt somebody (if not me or you) will get a custom build flat plane project in motion and report back some interesting "hands on" results!

I'm just wondering if anyone knows of anyone having tried (sucessfully or not) a flat-plane crankshaft in a small block ford engine?? Seems to me that folks who drive a GT40 are typically already putting up with a fair amount of vibration - why not employ a flat-plane crank and perhaps get another few hundred rpm, a little more power and faster throttle response?

Obviously, such an application would need a custom ground cam, revised ignition timing and probably a whole host of other adaptations but it certainly should be doable. Would be an interesting exhaust note to hear as well.
I have a flat plane °180 351C xe....080 bore
I cant find more info on the stuff i got..also Gapp-Roush hiports..

I'm just wondering if anyone knows of anyone having tried (sucessfully or not) a flat-plane crankshaft in a small block ford engine?? Seems to me that folks who drive a GT40 are typically already putting up with a fair amount of vibration - why not employ a flat-plane crank and perhaps get another few hundred rpm, a little more power and faster throttle response?

Obviously, such an application would need a custom ground cam, revised ignition timing and probably a whole host of other adaptations but it certainly should be doable. Would be an interesting exhaust note to hear as well.
Ive got a flatplane 180 ..351c

Ian Anderson

Lifetime Supporter
Possibly a bit out but could you not utilise a 4 cylinder crank and do the matching to fit con rods to that. At least you have a replaceable crank?

but bore spacing journal size etc - I have no idea which manufacturer would fit into a SBF block.

ian

XE 351C .080 bore.venolia slugs..6" crower sbc journal..Flatplane 180...with matching 680 billit roller..looking for info if i got a nascar..or pro stock engine..or gt40 erra..?

20191027_211606.jpg

I noticed your crankshaft follows the layout of the 'NEW' flat plane crank fitted to latest Mustang.. eg throws are placed one up, one down along the crank, if that is the case the cam lobe layout will be totally different to a std 351c cam.. You mention the 'Gapp-Roush' connection, that was a long time ago when Wayne Gapp & Jack Roush were a team and into Drag Racing/Pro Stock. I doubt very much that it would be Nascar and even more so from a GT40 . @ 4.080" bore it could be one of the siamese cast blocks, but since its more likely a Pro-Stock setup it could be a 'filled block ' to support the cyl walls.... have a look for support studs in valley etc.
If this is what you have it wont really be suitable or any endurance type racing or road use. However thanks to time & progress there are plenty of suitable aftermarket blocks now available that you could use to do so.

I had a stock crank turned down & radiest to accomodate the 6" chevy journal...w/ lunnati 700 lift.roller..14.1 compress...and a 175 hp nitrous systm....i figure im pushing the block a lil over its capacity..
And jacmac thank you for that info.

Back