Flat Plane Crank LS1

What Hp do you all think? 302 cubic inch 5.0l, revving with peak power at around 7500rpm? I am hoping for about 450rwhp, but not sure. Maybe 500 crank?

Also, on a note for the base engine to start from. It sure seems that the gto from like 2004. So that should be a ls2? Seems that these are going for cheaper than vette motors. So I might start there I stead of ls1 and have like 320 cubic inches or 5.26l. Are these heads that much better?

Also, on a note for the base engine to start from. It sure seems that the gto from like 2004. So that should be a ls2? Seems that these are going for cheaper than vette motors. So I might start there I stead of ls1 and have like 320 cubic inches or 5.26l. Are these heads that much better?

the 2004 GTOs had LS1s, so you're not getting anything special there. I believe the 2005 went to the LS6 motor, and that is a good base to start from.

But...since you are providing the rotating assembly, it would be ideal to get a blown motor with all the accessories and sensors so that you can get those items you'll need anyway but not spend too much on a motor you will be tearing apart.

Ken Roberts

Supporter

The 04 GTO uses the LS1 engine. The 05 to 06 GTO used the LS2. They are cheaper for a reason. The oil pan is useless and the accessory drive will not work with the SLC. The 04 GTO uses the LS6 intake but the poor flowing LS1 heads. The LS2 heads are similar to the LS6 heads. The 04 GTO uses a cable throttle body while the 05 and 06 uses drive by wire throttle body.

Troy - when I was looking for my LS6 motor in my past project I found and used a 05 Cadillac CTS-V motor. I believe the 04 & 05 CTS-v's used the LS6 - same motor that was in the earlier vette..... but not corvette prices. If the advert said "corvette" it seemed to be automatically more expensive. Go to car-parts.com and search under this model. I was looking for a stock nice running motor though - not a block/head donor. I found one with 30k miles on it, shipped for $2,995.00

Troy I'm rooting for you as well. I too feel the same way about the sound of a flat plane vs a cross plane motor. That thing should sound like a Ferrari on steroids. I'm am closely watching this thread. Can you imagine a flat plane crank motor with the huge aftermarket base of top quality parts at half of what it would cost with any other motor? Have you thought about using individual throttle bodies by someone like Harrop or others. Maybe a lightened flywheel as well.

Maybe a ls1 vette might be the lowest price option.

On the flywheel, which one is lightweight to adapt the ls1 to the g50 besides Kennedy?

On the aftermarket support, hmm. Then mine would not be uniquie.

Has anyone considered a Hartley "hayabusa" V8 for an SLC? I, too, want an exotic sound to go with the performance. My budget may limit me to a simple LS3 install though.

troy, you may want to reach out to these guys on the valvetrain/heads question. If I was buying a set of worked LS heads, these would be the guys I call. Advanced Induction - LSx Performance Parts

you can talk to Phil about your cam potentially too.

I actually called and left a message for them to call me back, no call yet, maybe they are really busy. I just said I need a custom ground cam for the LS1. I do like what I see there though and I am thinking I might send my heads there to get the work done and port them out.

Has anyone considered a Hartley "hayabusa" V8 for an SLC? I, too, want an exotic sound to go with the performance. My budget may limit me to a simple LS3 install though.

Yes, its very light around 200lbs or so. (too lazy to look it up),,

However, its $30,000, no torque, and I think you need to rebuild it after 300 hours.

It would be a good engine in something like the SLR, but you would be paying more for the engine than any other part.

i asked earlier in this thread about the accessories, the CTS-V is what people are saying. go to pace performance and they are about $800 for everything new.

As for the custom cam, email AI and let them know what you are doing and link them to your ls1tech thread. they are sponsors over there. I've found them to be pretty responsive over email (1-3 days).

haven't used Pat G, but nothing but rave reviews as well. The only reason I'd say AI is I'd send them the heads too and have them spec a cam and associated valve train and assemble the heads. That way you are plug/play for the most part. Getting a cam from one part, valve train from another makes it a little more complex.

Troy what will you be using for connecting rod length? I don't know maybe I missed something. But, if you are using a shorter crank throw, wouldn't you need to get a longer connecting rod to keep the top of the piston at the correct location with respect to the top of the block deck?

Emailed partic and we will see what he says. I also contacted another cam maker and they know what to do also so I am confident I will get what is needed. I like what ai looks like and the plan is to use them to port, valve job and assemble the heads.

Con rods will be longer custom made Carrillo. Bearing size 1.889 for the Honda bearings and .927 top so off the shelf flat top pistons will work. I will mill the head to get 54cc do I can have like 11:1 comp ratio. The rod will be like 6.560 cc, that is off the top of my head to match 3.187 stroke and 2.05 rod ratio.

Back