Flat Plane Crank LS1

I was thinking about making a sticker with SL-C in a large font and then this below. 1-6-5-8-7-4-3-2. I would not think most would know what it means.

you can run a bit more compression. I was running 11.75:1 on 93 pump gas without issues. I was running 233/241 .600/.600 lift cam (this was on a lt1 355 engine) and street driven regularly.

I was thinking about making a sticker with SL-C in a large font and then this below. 1-6-5-8-7-4-3-2. I would not think most would know what it means.

Yes I think that most people will not know what that means. Hell, I have been a gearhead all my life and I use to think that you could get an American V8 to sound like a Ferrari with mufflers and an intake:lipsrsealed:, It wasn't until I found out that the major difference is the firing order, and that the firing order had to do with the crankshaft being flat plane (Ferrari) or cross plane (as in Chevy, Ford, Dodge, BMW, etc.). The flat plane v8 will allow for an even pulse tone coming out of the exhaust as opposed to the cross plane that will have an uneven lope to it (the classic muscle car sound). You can overcome this uneven pulse by using 180 degree headers, but the crankshaft will still be heavier and won't rev up and down as crisp as the flat plane. I have read that Ferrari also tunes their exhaust system to a Ferrari note. I would look into some different type of mufflers as well. You might look into Dr. Gas frequency modified mufflers. They seem to be interesting.

you can run a bit more compression. I was running 11.75:1 on 93 pump gas without issues. I was running 233/241 .600/.600 lift cam (this was on a lt1 355 engine) and street driven regularly.

I have been debating what comp ratio to run. With the destroked and flat top pistons if I shave the head to get 54cc comb chamber it is like 11.3. I can go down to 52cc which is 11.7 and that is maxed out I think. I just was wondering what I can really go to before needing to take out timing and hurting more than helping. I know the destroked and high revs will want compression.

IMO don't go crazy with compression on the LS1. 11:1 or 11:3 is plenty.
The stock Corvette LS1 was 10.5:1. and 350HP. The LS2 with the right cam/springs/pushrods (hardened ones) can easily get you to much higher levels.
They like reverse split camshafts, such as the ASA cams available from GM (hint).

Ken Roberts

Supporter
Do which assec drives work with the slc? Vette?

Corvette drive doesn't work due to the high mounted alternator.

CTS V works and Pontiac G8 GXP. Both are similar. I'm using the G8 myself.

Don't bother buying the AC compressor and bracket due to the fact that the factory GM compressors are variable displacement and aren't compatible with the Vintage Air system that comes with the kit. Some guys report that they due work but Vintage Air mentions that they won't last very long.

For oil pans ....F Body fits, C5 and C6 Corvettes too. Couple of the latest aftermarket pans might work but they are over priced in my opinion. Buy a used GM pan instead.

I would work with AI on the compression and follow their advice. They won't steer you wrong based on what you want.

I got Patrick to get me some cam specs based on what I will have. They look good. Comp cams can make them even with the odd firing order. They just need to start with a blank full round core. Price is double, but that is ok. So the two hard items are done, found and figured out. Next custom item are con rods and the rest are off the shelf items.

I got Patrick to get me some cam specs based on what I will have. They look good. Comp cams can make them even with the odd firing order. They just need to start with a blank full round core. Price is double, but that is ok. So the two hard items are done, found and figured out. Next custom item are con rods and the rest are off the shelf items.

this is awesome :) what specs are you going with out of curiosity in terms of duration and lift?

For oil pans ....F Body fits, C5 and C6 Corvettes too. Couple of the latest aftermarket pans might work but they are over priced in my opinion. Buy a used GM pan instead.

I agree, buy one of those 3 GM pans - the fitment is TIGHT. Like 1/16'' or so above the frame rails and smushed riiiight up near the crossbeam. You can't go any deeper or longer or whatever unless you want to modify or take your chances on the road.

I was looking at cts-v pan once (because it's nice and deep and good for a stroker motor) and the answer if it could fit now that I've seen tolerances - hell no, lol.

Off the top of my head I think like 270/278 and .565 lift. I can give more specifics later.

So just get a vette pan so a vette ls1 with ecu and harness.

before you get the wiring harness, need to know what reluctor wheel you are putting on the crank, 24x or 58x? that's going to dictate ecu.

Also one other thought which I have no clue on. is a flat plane crank dimensionally the same as a regular crank from a circumference perspective? I ask because I wonder if there will be any clearancing of the block and oil pan that would be necessary, I'd assume it should be about the same, but have no clue. Something to consider for your oil pan decision as well if this is an issue.

42lbs are at 58lbs of fuel pressure. I think these are the stock on a ls3, should be cheap on ebay?

The crank actually should have more cleance since it is destroked. The injectors should not be all that bad as people probably yank stock ones for bigger as someone might have some just sitting around. At 550hp, guess, 80% duty it said 44lbs. I am hoping for 500hp so that was being conservative I think.

On the 24 or 58 I am 90% sure I will end up starting out with an ls1 so probably 24x.

More cam specs.
Intake 270 [email protected], exh 278 [email protected], lobe center 107,

Never knew about the ajp. 72 degree? Interesting.

I read the cam info. Good to see how much power they made there. It should be interesting to see what I end up with. I am going to trust Patric with hos cam choice. When i looked at comp cams catalog I saw a lot of profiles with more duration so they might make more hp, but maybe not for the street.

Anyone with a dyno simulator?

Never knew about the ajp. 72 degree? Interesting.

I read the cam info. Good to see how much power they made there. It should be interesting to see what I end up with. I am going to trust Patric with hos cam choice. When i looked at comp cams catalog I saw a lot of profiles with more duration so they might make more hp, but maybe not for the street.

Anyone with a dyno simulator?

TVRs finest :heart:

TVR Cerbera Straight Through Exhaust on Dyno - YouTube

? If I get a complete ls1 with ecu and harness and then want to get a bare new ls3 block so I can have the extra displacement will everything completely bolt on? I see the blocks bran new for $1500 and If I can find a blown engine bottom end for cheap I might do this. Easy way to get about 10% more power.

Back