GT40 Australia Chassis #64

Thats the plan, Hoping to turn up with Collin who's got a mint Black Cobra.
Will have to suffer with a stock motor which sucks ,but better than watching.

Hi Dave S, I have just joined and like you I am from down-under, I am interested in building a GT40, can you suggest a starting point? regards Neill :)

Hi Neill,
I am based in Sydney and have just placed an order with Fran for one of his RCR GT40's.

I looked at the DRB and decided on the RCR.
Actually there are two rolling and one RCR chassis coming to Australia in the container.

Should be here after Christmas.

I am going to use the car as a road car, with I guess some track work.

All reports is the RCR looks like a great car and with the aluminum monocoque chassis, the finish is exceptional and more along the lines of the original GT40's.

To top it off Fran is great to deal with and is more than willing to help with getting the car through the Australia ADR's.
According to my engineer, not a lot of difference regarding ADR for Australian GT40's to the US Gt40's.

If you have any question, I am more than happy for you to contact me,

Neil

Niell
The first thing you need to work out is what your budget is.
If it's like mine (limited) then maybe you need to look at the DRB.
I have not seen a RCR in person so commenting on it would be foolish
so all I can tell you about is the DRB.

If you order a DRB I think the lead time or wait is approx 1 Year.
The DRB GT40 fibreglass in my opinion is rubbish and I was disgusted when I saw it for the first time, I have seen worse cars than mine since then.
PR is a hard man to get hold of after you have paid your deposit.

The base kit is very good value for money.

The DRB guys on this forum are a great bunch and very supportive.

The base kit goes together very easily and I really never ran into to much trouble building the car.

The car complies with all state regs and rego was no trouble (Be wary of any kits that have not been reg in Australia, espically when it comes to torsion testing, seat belt mounts.) Another point of concern is that when I built my clubman I wanted an alloy frame, The WA rego Boys told me no alloy chassis's. This may of only been for home builts not Pros, but check it out anyway.

The DRB car drives very well and the shape is pleasing to the eye.
All the panels are mounted and hinged which IMHO is a huge point of sale.
If your no good with fibreglass like me then don't go near a kit that doesn't have the spider mounted to chassis and panels hung as it can turn into a nightmare. Big DRB positive in my book.

The DRB comes with all Engineering paper work required to license car.

My favourite part of the the DRB is the Alloy C4 Corvette front suspension
which is a huge drooling point every time you open the front clip.

Overall the DRB is worth the build and should not be discounted when you make the selection process.

Neil
Sorry to add to your thread Dave but Neil should look closely at the DRB.
I have mine registered now & it should be on display at the Mattara Hill climb in Newcastle in a couple of weeks. P M me if you want a chat.
Kevin Pinkstone

Dimi Terleckyj

Lifetime Supporter
Hi Kevin

I have been involved very closely with Neil since he first came onboard the forum and he has been meticulous in doing his research prior to making a decision ( I would venture so far as to say anal, sorry Neil ) and he has had a very close look at my build and had first hand experience at what is required to build a DRB.

I have made every effort to help him with is enquiries and to allow him full access to my car to help him make his decision.

Dave
Unfortunately I have to agree with some of your comments about the standard of the DRB but there was nothing that was unsurmountable.
But it did require a lot of additional work which really should not have been the case had a little more care gone into the basic factory construction.

Dimi

Hi Dimi,
I resemble that remark,
Yes, as Dimi stated I had a very good look at his DRB.
and in saying that I had a look at a few GT40's over the last few months and if my RCR could be as half as good as the work Dimi has but into his car , I believe I would have built a great GT40.
I have to admit I had decided to purchase a DRB, but between the pre-purchase support of DRB and the big killer, a 50 week wait, that's it a year, I decided to look further.

Hence the RCR, with it's aluminum monocoque chassis, the kit comes as a rolling chassis and the exceptional finish on the body work and many other factors,
the choice was made, an RCR.

To top it off the price is pretty much the same, although I will reserve my judgment until finished, for an exact figure, but considering what you get in the kit, it is great value for money, plus the Aust/US exchange rate at the moment.

Fran from RCR- another story, what can I say, so helpful, very accommodating, offers advise, wants to supply a great product.

I guess, in a nutshell "a pleasure to talk to him on the phone" and we all know what it is like to call a supplier once you have placed the order, Fran is still happy to go through any issue.

I guess that is why I purchased the RCR GT40.

Thanks,
Neil

Hi everyone.

I'm pretty sure we're all a bit biased as to who makes a better product, and I thought I'd throw my 2 cents in the ring as a recent Roaring Forties buyer.

I can only comment on the Australian made products here, forgive my lack of experience with marques like RCR, GTD, etc.

What impressed me about the new RF was the guys' knowledge and helpfulness. And it's not only pre-purchase, I've had excellent feedback on all my questions posed to RF post arrival too.

I must admit that the idea of the DRB coming fitted with all panels hung and aligned was attarctive, however it was the general finish of the fibereglass that let it down. That, and the fact that there were numerous minor details that differed from a what would only be described as are "more authentic replica".

Either way, once finished nearly all these cars would blow 99% of the population away with their looks and general presence on the road. Show me a GT40 that doesn't have a certain WOW factor about it. However I think it all depends on how the car will be used, and how "anal" (good way, not bad way!) you are about having an authentic looking replica.

Hi Troy,
I agree, you made a great choice, buying the RF.
As the guys at RF are great, know their stuff,
and are willing to help any GT40 builder or owner.
I looked more seriously at the DRB, because most of the people I met in Sydney had DRB's and it was going to be easier to build a car with people around me, that had built a similar car, for example Dimi.

Good luck with you car,

Neil

Hi Dave

Any photos of the finished product inthe sunlight to share o have you been busy with the wife and kids?

Cheers

Jack

Back