Hartwell latches

Found Hartwell latches at c & r racing #cr-m1000 at $35.00 each. Haven't seen a pic yet but thought i'd throw this out for others looking. richard

Julian

Lifetime Supporter
These are NASCAR style push button side window releases, is that what you were looking for or Hartwell Latches for the front and rear clip?

Thanks for the input... i'm looking for the front and rear clip latches... I am looking for a source here in the States... everything i have seen accross the pond is bloddy expensive... just a thought... get rid of the VAT and perhaps you'd get more business. So. If the latches from C & R Racing are for the windows then my query still stands... US vender of course. thanks richard

Andy Sheldon

Tornado Sports Cars
GT40s Sponsor
Richard

If you are importing to the states from the UK you do not pay any VAT.

We have some Hartwells in stock and you can get them from Scott at Tornado USA in the states.

Thanks

Andy

Hartwell are a company that make many thousands of latches, mostly for aerospace and military, the originals I believe were military surplus that someone at FAV got a bulk load of. I don't think you can buy them 'new' from hartwell anymore (unless you order about 5000) but even if you could they'd be very expensive.

Some people have made clones but they are still pretty expensive (although still probably cheaper than genuine hartwell's would be) mostly due to the small runs, work involved and the demand for them. Even at their cheapest a set involves a substantial amount of work and would cost a fair amount even at 'cost'.

Your best bet for low cost is probably to trawl the military aviation surplus stores for something that looks suitable.

Other than that keep an eye out on ebay, I picked up 4 latches (which are very different to the originals but hartwell and rather nice) for ~5GBP each.

Genuine Hartwells, exactly like the ones used on original cars, are still manufactured and are currently used by a Brazilian aircraft manufacturer.

So, they can still be found and purchased. Trouble is, they need to be modified and parts of the lower portion were custom made for the GT40 back in the day.

This is why repops are sometimes a better choice.

Either way, I do have 4 brand new NOS (current mfg.) uppers available.

Sorry to bring up such a touchy subject again (re old posts). Just for the record i did read all the old posts and followed up on leads but was always a day late and a dollor short (i did e mail on a set on e bay UK but they were long gone by the time they got back to me 2 weeks later). I had an airplane which had these latches but never thought they were special... they came with the plane and now think they were retrofitted when he replaced the cowl... it flew off in flight as the story goes. I have looked at the McMasters and a lot of others... I found some that would work but they just don't look as nice and fit as fluch with the body work. Also, as this project goes along i find myself wanting more and more the period correct look. Of course it will not be a copy but i don't want to overly "personalize"it either. There are always new builds starting as these cars are comming to the attention of more or the public. By the way i have been reading old posts for months now and still have a long way to go... there is just soooo much info on this forum... it boggles the mind. It seems to me that some interprising young person could do well remanufacturing/sourcing and selling all these little bits and pieces (demister grill, tail lights, door handles, window latches, etc) all of which are currently at antique prices. Oh to be a younger man again...

Google 'Aerocatch 3' as a modern alternative to the Hartwell latch. Currently only available in anodised black, but it was only launched a few weeks ago at the the Autosport Show

Regards,
Andy

Jim Rosenthal

Supporter
Nice piece, but it doesn't look anything like an original Hartwell that was used on GT40s...I have never seen the correct one at a bargain price. Ask me how I know. I DID luck out on the fuel distribution valve a few years ago, found one at a supplier of old aircraft parts in the UK for about $350US. Avro fuel cocks, they are called, I think. If someone was going to reproduce something, that would be a good bet, but the demand is so small.....

Yes, the small market is the biggest problem. I think the latches are far from the only part that fits the hard to find category. No company in their right mind would tool up to meet these needs. Their business is their path to personal wealth. And there is nothing wrong with that. IMHO what is needed is an enthusiast who can remake these parts but is not into it for a large profit, but for the love of the car. That person would be a rare bird. Of course there will be those for whom money is just another tool and more power too them. On the other end of the stick will be those love sick boys of the 60's looking to drive the dream but can't buy their way in. What is really need here is a GT40 foundation for all things GT40. Non Profit, tax deductible, and staffed by volunteers. A repository for info on real, kit and custom alike where anyone could go and find out how xy was put together and what are the upgrades and fixes, ect, ect. I wonder if Bill Gates is into these cars... hmmm seed money???

Charlie Farley

Supporter
Do you mean like this :

Attachments

• DIGI0403.jpg
    DIGI0403.jpg
    55.5 KB · Views: 563
Back