Hi just bought a GT-40 at Auction

and am really looking forward to knowing more about these cars. I have always liked them and was very impressed with the condition of the car i bought today. It is a blue CVS with a stroked 351 Windsor and big 2 on the side. Really clean looking. I will post some pictures tomorrow. It has very old racing tires on it. Other than the tires and the carpet, it looks in amazing condition - i think it just got a fresh paint job.

I look forward to driving it, and getting to know the car and this community.

Regards,

Jesse

Welcome Jesse. I look forward to seeing pics of your car, and reading your driving impressions. There are very knowledgeable guys on this Forum who can provide answers to the questions you will likely have about aspects of the car and its performance.

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
Welcome to the GT40 family and GT40s.com Jesse...

A lot of great people here and good knowledge base - so enjoy yourself! :)

Hi Jesse,

Welcome to GT40s.com.

I think that the car that you just bought is CAV GT #53. It should be a targa (removable top/roof).

Your car was manufactured in Cape Town, South Africa and the previous owner is from Arizona.

You can contact me at any time if you need more information on the CAV GT's

Ian Clark

Supporter
Hi Jesse,

Welcome aboard! You will find a wealth of knowledge on all things GT40 here. Anything you want to do to the car to take it to whatever level you desire is well discussed here. Sometimes the info is buried in old posts, sometimes hard to find so feel free to ask away!

Between the factory Autofutura, CAV USA and CAV Canada there's plenty of support:)

Cheers

Hi everyone - and thanks for the very warm welcome.

The car is a targa top, which according to the description in the catalog is only one of 4. Johann - thanks for the info on the previous owner - i am hoping when i get pick up the car that they have some records with it. I do not get access to any documentation until i show up with the balance on Monday with a cashiers check.

I will be picking it up tomorrow - and trying to find a place to store it.

I live in Laguna Beach - where garage space is nil - which my wife is very happy from the point of view that i would have soooo many cars if we had a big garage. As it stands, we will now have 5 cars and two motorcycles - i just fall in love with cars waay too easily.

Alan - to update on the auction - BTW - this car was not covered on Speed Channel - The car went on the block late in the evening - around 9 pm. At that point the crowd had thinned out and not too many bidders. I got in a $15k and it stalled at $30k. The auctioneers then rallied the crowd - said that the bid would hardly cover the cost of the engine alone. Bidding picked back up to $50k - i got the car for $55k plus a 10% buyers premimium - total $60.5. The auctioneer said they tought it would go for double that. What do you all think - good deal? I got to admit - first time to a car auction and i am worried that i got too emotional - but i have always loved these cars.

I am thinking of putting in new carpet, check to see if the front end upgrades are done - perhaps new tires - the current look very old and i am hesitant to drive it too much with them on.

Looks like the paint may be new - it is stunning not even a scratch on it.

Again thank you all for the warm welcome - all of the information and other partners in crime make me feel much less nervious over this. My wife is great - but concerned that this hobby may get out of hand.

Seymour Snerd

Lifetime Supporter
Alan - to update on the auction - BTW - this car was not covered on Speed Channel - The car went on the block late in the evening - around 9 pm. At that point the crowd had thinned out and not too many bidders. I got in a $15k and it stalled at $30k. The auctioneers then rallied the crowd - said that the bid would hardly cover the cost of the engine alone. Bidding picked back up to $50k - i got the car for $55k plus a 10% buyers premimium - total $60.5. The auctioneer said they tought it would go for double that. What do you all think - good deal? I got to admit - first time to a car auction and i am worried that i got too emotional - but i have always loved these cars.

.... My wife is great - but concerned that this hobby may get out of hand.

I see you found the "current market" thread which will get you most of the opinions here on current values. I think we've definitely calibrated the auctioneer: he thinks everything is worth twice what it is. You can get a nice brand new 500+ hp 427 Windsor from Roush for $13,000 all day long, not $30,000.

Regarding your wife's concern about the hobby getting out of hand, it officially just did.

Also, regarding the blue streaks, if they are truly old think long and hard about whether you drive it at all before changing to street tires. Even if they're new they're risky on the street. That's a subject worth researching.

"As it stands, we will now have 5 cars and two motorcycles - i just fall in love with cars waay too easily. "

Gee, that's fairly unusual. People on this forum are not emotional about cars at all, just technically oriented ;)

Hello Jesse,

I also have a Leman's blue Cav # 105 that very similar to the car that you just purchased.

I saw the car at the auction when I was there on Saturday.

Congrats...... it looks like a very well built car.

I live very close to Laguna Beach so we should try to meet up to compare notes.

Enjoy,

Eric

I watched BJ for the whole thing. Tivo is a great invention. I did notice that all of the prices on all cars were lower than I would have expected at BJ. I guess that means that they were closer to normal prices. I have CAV #61 and love it. Yours is just a scant older than mine.

Have fun with it!

Hello Jesse,

I also have a Leman's blue Cav # 105 that very similar to the car that you just purchased.

I saw the car at the auction when I was there on Saturday.

Congrats...... it looks like a very well built car.

I live very close to Laguna Beach so we should try to meet up to compare notes.

Enjoy,

Eric

Eric,

It would be great to compare notes. Do you know anyone local mechanic who knows these cars? I would like to have it gone through in detail and get a good tune.

Also, anyone have a suggestion where i can get proper tires - and recomendations as to what would be good for the street?

I am also going to search out about the knock offs - never had a car with them before - is there some sort of extender for removing them?

Regards,

Jesse

As an aside...does anyone know where the yellow CAV targa roller sold from VIP Classics last summer go? Or where the red CAV targa recently sold from playtoys.cc go?

Pete McCluskey.

Lifetime Supporter
Congratulations Jesse and welcome. If the purchase put a big grin on your face and it's still there then it was good value. The Targa is very rare.
We may have the same ancestors I also have five cars and two motor cycles, and no more space.

Tim Kay

Lifetime Supporter
...Do you know anyone local mechanic who knows these cars? I would like to have it gone through in detail and get a good tune.

David Briggs might chime in here:thumbsup:

Jesse,

I will take my GT to Cars and Coffee on Saturday.

Get some new tires on yours and we can run up on the freeway
towards my place and fix your gas gauge.

Eric

Hi Jesse,

I forgot to tell you about the extender for the knockoff's.

The extender is your arm and the tool is a lead hammer.

Remember... Left is right and right is wrong. Left side of car
unscrews counterclockwise and right side of car unscrews
clockwise.

I have a plastic hammer filled with lead shot for the timid and a lead hammer
for Clint Eastwood.

Eric

Back